Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

What is there to be taught about poetry other than the classical rules? I mean, sure, it'll teach them about values in life, but I think most people are naturally inclined to try and write something on their own.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Kimmehtush
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kimmehtush »

Yes. In our country, there is a trend "spoken words poetry" this is very popular in teenagers because they are able to express themselves by the poetry not only the one that is speaking but also the people that is listening. This is presented at bars or even in events in schools etc.. and it is even uploaded in social media so people are being inspired to also make one based from their life experiences
SparklesonPages
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklesonpages.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SparklesonPages »

My children's school explored poetry by looking at some rap songs, and then transitioning to more classic pieces. It proved an excellent approach in gaining the attention of the grade 7 kids.
Countrygirl12

Post by Countrygirl12 »

Teens should be tought poetry becuse it can teach them that they can turn there thinking or how or what they feel onto anything they want it to be it can teach them imgen things to write poetry about
GabbiV
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces you have to read before you die, vol 2
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabbiv.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by GabbiV »

I would go a step further and say that poetry should be taught to children to a greater extent than it already is so that by the time they've experienced more of life, they would be able to articulate their thoughts with a practiced skill. Where I went to school, the poetry unit was looked down upon or seen as a chore to get through, and that was at AP level. If poetry was taught in earnest, I'd posit that there would be a generation of emotionally mature people.
aaaahhhhh

Post by aaaahhhhh »

I was 12 when I was first taught how to write poetry. My teacher started with the basics, Choose a cool font, center align in it, make it rhyme... all that. The rest of my classmates didn't love it, but I did. I began writing in the only style I truly knew, Dr. Suess. I wrote dozens of poems in that quirky style, making up words, and finding ways to make fun of funny things. Since then I've written so much more poetry. Poetry has defined me. I write when I'm sad, I write when I need something new, or I write to learn something about myself or others. I showed my poetry to my friend once and he said, "That's exactly how I feel but I could never get it into words." He's my best friend now and we write poetry to eachother. Poets from across the centuries have changed history. Shakespeare and many more. Writing poetry conveys emotions in ways that very few other art forms can. Just to introduce teens and kids to poetry would be an amazing thing.
dickathome

Post by dickathome »

I think poetry requires some natural born qualities. It could be taught but it takes born features. I write poetry.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

Rebecca8 wrote: 04 Dec 2013, 07:48 I guess poetry is one of those things that comes naturally and cannot be taught. You just need to have a strong command on the language in which you are writing poetry.
I had the exact same thought. :)
-R
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Yes of course.
I remember sitting on a hill along my high school in between the Orchestra building and the cafeteria writing haiku's with my Creative Writing class.
gkgurley
Favorite Book: The Two Towers
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkgurley.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by gkgurley »

Poetry is so important. I think young people should absolutely read it, learn to appreciate it, and write it! I do think that young people may think they're better poets than they are, but if they have a solid teacher who teaches and mentors well, they'd get a lot out of it!
Vickyd810

Post by Vickyd810 »

I believe the youth have we much that they want to say and a lot find it harder than others to be able to express themselves and their thoughts about the world and life. Like how the rest of society look down on them and see them as a threat and I think poetry would be a fantastic way of allowing them to tell people that and not just keep their thoughts hidden in the shadows
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

They should be encouraged to write it, but not necessarily taught how to. They could be given tools to help them introspect, though, as hat always helps with any art form.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

I am horrible at writing poetry! It 100% requires skill.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

In my opinion..yes because poetry is a way of art
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
imSunshine
Currently Reading: