Hard-to-Understand Poetry

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Arrigo_Lupori
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrigo-lupori.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2566

Re: Hard-to-Understand Poetry

Post by Arrigo_Lupori »

cooltodd wrote: 23 Jan 2007, 11:36 Some poetry is hard to understand. The poets may not specify the point of their poem and the reader has to try and infer it from the blurry cover of symbolism and metaphor. Additionally, the topic may be so deep and/or intricate that even the author doesn't know exactly what he or she means (which is why the author uses poetry to try and express it than explicitly with plain old literal language).

Do you like poetry that is hard to understand? Do you find it deep and interesting? Or, do you prefer poetry that you can comprehend completely and easily?
Yes I do. Sometimes one must write in a way that is hard to understand in order to get the point across to the few who can follow.
"The abstract sensation of living a lifestyle that hasn't been fully understood."
- The epitome of taste in living disgrace.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I like poetry that doesn't necessarily yield up all it has to say at a first reading. For example, even a simple poem, such as Frost's Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, can have hidden depths. But then there are obviously complex ones, such as Donne's Valediction: Forbidding Mourning, where the complexity is deliberate, but you can still unravel it, and enjoy doing so.

Sometimes difficulties in understanding arise because times have changed so much since the poem was written – poems from medieval times being an obvious example – but they can still be a joy.

And then there are poems where the poet seems to have deliberately set out to make life difficult. That can be annoying, but I love T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland and also – one I discovered much more recently – Dowson's Non sum qualis eram bonae sub regno Cynarae (It's only the title that's scary – honestly – and, if you're interested, PM me and I'll send you a link that explains it).

What really, really annoys me are poems where you have to know things about the writer's personal life to fully understand them. That strikes me as arrogant and elitist – it seems to assume that we would want to know and that just gets my goat.
Crawdadnelson
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Crawdadnelson »

The brain only improves when challenged.
R-Myra
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-myra.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by R-Myra »

Poems by Shakespeare are very hard for me to understand. I tried many times to understand what he wants to convey but I came up empty handed. Guess it is not my cup of tea.
-R

Return to “Poetry & Music”