Thoughts on music in a foreign language

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Re: Thoughts on music in a foreign language

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

I find songs in different languages are great for writing when I want to hear lyrics without getting distracted by someone else's words. I think we do miss something from not knowing the language sometimes though. I know some of my favorite songs sound quite happy but have dark lyrics. I think it's funny I could love a song in another language for how upbeat it is while remaining ignorant about the real message.
White Dragon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by White Dragon »

I like them mostly. If the singer's voice is nice on the ears and the instrumental part suits my taste, then why not? One can always find lyrics on the internet.
Audrey_Scarlett
Currently Reading: Shout
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audrey-scarlett.html
Latest Review: 2612 Cherryhill Lane by Glenn Vo
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Audrey_Scarlett »

I love listening to music in foreign languages. I learned how to sing a song in Italian from simply listening to it!
starzandreams
Currently Reading: Two Months and Three Days
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by starzandreams »

Well, as they say that music doesn't have any language, so I enjoy it a lot. Whether it's Korean, French, Japanese or Indie.
MrsTurner2013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrsturner2013.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by MrsTurner2013 »

I absolutely love music in foreign languages! Can you understand what is being sung most of the time? No, but even if you can't, it gives you an idea into that particular culture. A brief minute or two, you are no longer in your country. You are whisked away to the country of origin for the song. The beauty that accompanies that experience is just breathtaking! The aspect of not knowing what is being sung can be frustrating at times, but for me it adds a reason to learn that language. My husband and I are currently in Jerusalem getting our Master's degrees. As we prepared to move here, we started listening to Hebrew music. I began not knowing what was sung, but as I slowly learned the language the song unlocked its mystery to me and I was able to appreciate it even more. I see a song I cannot understand as a secret for me to uncover.
Nana2_
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Nana2_ »

There're these songs that I do listen to though I may not be getting anything and I really enjoy them like Jerusalem. I like it's vibe, melody i mean the beat. That may even push me to find its translations to enjoy even wholly.
Georgephilips
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgephilips.html
Latest Review: Finding Jehovah by Azrael Levi

Post by Georgephilips »

I love listening to music that's contrast to my language as to learn new things I enjoy having to listen to others culture.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

I love them.
I listen to songs of all different languages.
Somtimes of even made up languages like that of Era's.

It transports me to another place and if I really like the song, I look up translations to understand the lyrics.
Iconicsmt
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Unborn
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iconicsmt.html

Post by Iconicsmt »

I love music in any language! Since I was a child, my favorite group has been the German rock group Rammstein — the rougher the music, the more relaxing it feels to me, ha. But French, Spanish, Punjabi, Korean, Italian.... Greatness transcends all words and cultures.
William Wilson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-wilson.html
Latest Review: The VD Anthology by Various

Post by William Wilson »

I have multiple foreign music playlists that I love- from French, Russian, to Japanese and Spanish. It's relaxing when I want to listen to music but don't want to get distracted by the lyrics.
Sukh_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sukh.html
Latest Review: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature by Chet Shupe

Post by Sukh_ »

I've come across songs from another language and for me, I will like a song if it has a certain beat to it or if it kind of fits a certain aesthetic. I think sometimes we like songs from a foreign language because by the beats, instrumentals, we can kind of conclude what the song might be talking about, for example, if its a sad song, happy one, etc.
ENOCH SAGE
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ENOCH SAGE »

Although I don't the meaning,I love korea songs,the tune and everything about it,and that is why I always look forward to watching korea drama.
GianKosi77
Favorite Author: M. Curtis McCoy
Currently Reading: Divided World
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-giankosi77.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 197138

Post by GianKosi77 »

Sometimes they are boring. But a song done with sweet melody is enjoyable even when you don't get the lyrics.
And a highway will be there; it will be called the Way of Holiness.
EReid
Currently Reading: Dune Novel
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ereid.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by EReid »

I listen to music mostly for the melody, so if the melody is good, I'll still appreciate music in a different language. I also like listening to music in a different language when I'm writing/doing something where I don't want to be focusing on other words.
I wish you a kinder sea --Emily Dickinson
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I love listening to music in foreign languages. It lets me enjoy the energy of the music instead of listening to the words. One group that I love is a Christian group, Diante do Trono. After listening to my favorite songs over and over, I started singing along, not really knowing what I was saying because I don’t speak Portuguese. I finally looked up the lyrics and translated them. It added more to the worship songs knowing what I was singing, but I preferred singing in Portuguese (my version of Portuguese :D). I once heard them perform one of their songs in English, and it was not the same. It felt like the music was made to be sung in Portuguese; the energy was more intense.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks

Return to “Poetry & Music”