Any BTS fans here????

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Post Reply
Infinite I
Posts: 112
Joined: 19 Nov 2019, 21:02
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Any BTS fans here????

Post by Infinite I »

I would like to know how did you get introduced to BTS and what's their influence in your life...
Zion Mesa
Posts: 235
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 08:40
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

I'm a xenophile and I was just curious about Korean music, did a YouTube search and bingo... BTS

Unfortunately I never had the chance to get into them, I found out about the abusive situation that the members are subjected to and I promptly stopped supporting. I only got to hear about four songs.
User avatar
Dnnnicole_
Posts: 9
Joined: 23 May 2020, 11:53
Currently Reading: Pity the Devil's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dnnnicole_ »

i was never a kpop fan until i went to high school. my bestfriend introduced bts to me and to be honest i was confused between jin and jungkook's dace back then. until now i still love them.
User avatar
Julie-p
Posts: 102
Joined: 31 Jan 2020, 10:55
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

Zion Mesa wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 06:18 I'm a xenophile and I was just curious about Korean music, did a YouTube search and bingo... BTS

Unfortunately I never had the chance to get into them, I found out about the abusive situation that the members are subjected to and I promptly stopped supporting. I only got to hear about four songs.
Don't let yourself be mistaken. A lot of abuse happen on the music industry as a whole (not just the Korean one), but the company BTS is under is BigHit. They never signed an abusive contract, get a fair share of the income of their albuns (a percentage much higher than the other idols), and always got a lot of creative freedom since the beginning, being deeply involved on the writing and producing. All of the hours of hard work that put into isn't something that is in their contracts or they being forced to it. They are hard workers because they like what they do and it is something deeply tied to eastern Asian culture (after all, is common to have stories of students in China, Japan and Korean that study for over 12 hours a day). They struggled at the beginning because neither they or their company had a lot of money, and were boycotted and dismissed by the Korean media. Now, they make up for most of their company profits, which leads them a pretty powerful position inside it. Last but not least, they even renewed their contract last year (and I'm sure they had several other offers).

Please, do your research before saying these things, they are not abused or tied to an unfair contract. And whoever says otherwise is most likely a xenophobe trying to put a bad light to them, because there is no evidence. The whole 'dark side of kpop' is.., if I could curse I would... after all, BTS and BigHit are not like other groups or companies, and abuse happens in every music industry no matter the county.

And... Sorry about this huge text, but I hate when people start spreading misinformation. And they use this whole generalization, not hate on the companies of kpop who abuse (BigHit not being included on this list), but on the artists who don't deserve this. Even going as far as saying racist and xenophobic comments to them.
User avatar
Grace Bela
Posts: 107
Joined: 02 May 2020, 10:42
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

One of my best friends is a huge fan of them and introduced me to a lot of KPop. I'm not a fan enough to be part of ARMY but I still like BTS. I think my favorite song of theirs is FAKE LOVE. Boy With Luv is also a great one. I was so surprised when I found out that RM was also on an Old Town Road remix! Kpop + rap + country is quite the combination
User avatar
brown_gal
Posts: 43
Joined: 23 May 2020, 14:32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by brown_gal »

I like BTS, but I won't call myself a fan of them. I respect them for the success they have achieved globally in the music industry, all on their own. And they are cute. :) :) :)
Zion Mesa
Posts: 235
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 08:40
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

Julie-p wrote: 24 May 2020, 07:34
Zion Mesa wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 06:18 I'm a xenophile and I was just curious about Korean music, did a YouTube search and bingo... BTS

Unfortunately I never had the chance to get into them, I found out about the abusive situation that the members are subjected to and I promptly stopped supporting. I only got to hear about four songs.
Don't let yourself be mistaken. A lot of abuse happen on the music industry as a whole (not just the Korean one), but the company BTS is under is BigHit. They never signed an abusive contract, get a fair share of the income of their albuns (a percentage much higher than the other idols), and always got a lot of creative freedom since the beginning, being deeply involved on the writing and producing. All of the hours of hard work that put into isn't something that is in their contracts or they being forced to it. They are hard workers because they like what they do and it is something deeply tied to eastern Asian culture (after all, is common to have stories of students in China, Japan and Korean that study for over 12 hours a day). They struggled at the beginning because neither they or their company had a lot of money, and were boycotted and dismissed by the Korean media. Now, they make up for most of their company profits, which leads them a pretty powerful position inside it. Last but not least, they even renewed their contract last year (and I'm sure they had several other offers).

Please, do your research before saying these things, they are not abused or tied to an unfair contract. And whoever says otherwise is most likely a xenophobe trying to put a bad light to them, because there is no evidence. The whole 'dark side of kpop' is.., if I could curse I would... after all, BTS and BigHit are not like other groups or companies, and abuse happens in every music industry no matter the county.

And... Sorry about this huge text, but I hate when people start spreading misinformation. And they use this whole generalization, not hate on the companies of kpop who abuse (BigHit not being included on this list), but on the artists who don't deserve this. Even going as far as saying racist and xenophobic comments to them.
Ok
What does racist people and hating the artists have to do with the current conversation though? I didn't say anything hateful about the people or the artists. If anything, I implied that I'm worried about them and don't want to pay into something potentially harmful to them.

It's sounds as though you're generalizing in your response towards me. I never said I was hating, I didn't imply anything xenophobic (which if you were using the term in the proper context shouldn't even be able to enter the conversation.) and I didn't specify only Korean media or only BigHit. There are companies on both sides of the ocean that I don't support and it has nothing to do with "xenophobia".

It's simply caring about people and excercising caution. I'm doing constant research on the topic if you care to know, and I keep finding sketchy things that don't seem right to me. Airing on the side of caution, I've decided not to support the company unless I feel it's safe to do so.

I don't do this for fun.
It sucks.
Seventeen is one of my favorite bands.
It's not pleasant to know that now they're on Weverse and BigHit has been lying about having purchased Pledis at all.

It just doesn't sit right with me.
User avatar
Julie-p
Posts: 102
Joined: 31 Jan 2020, 10:55
Currently Reading: Demian
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-p.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by Julie-p »

Zion Mesa wrote: 25 May 2020, 16:04
Ok
What does racist people and hating the artists have to do with the current conversation though? I didn't say anything hateful about the people or the artists. If anything, I implied that I'm worried about them and don't want to pay into something potentially harmful to them.

It's sounds as though you're generalizing in your response towards me. I never said I was hating, I didn't imply anything xenophobic (which if you were using the term in the proper context shouldn't even be able to enter the conversation.) and I didn't specify only Korean media or only BigHit. There are companies on both sides of the ocean that I don't support and it has nothing to do with "xenophobia".

It's simply caring about people and excercising caution. I'm doing constant research on the topic if you care to know, and I keep finding sketchy things that don't seem right to me. Airing on the side of caution, I've decided not to support the company unless I feel it's safe to do so.

I don't do this for fun.
It sucks.
Seventeen is one of my favorite bands.
It's not pleasant to know that now they're on Weverse and BigHit has been lying about having purchased Pledis at all.

It just doesn't sit right with me.
I mentioned racist and xenophobes because a lot of them use this 'they are abused excuse' to mock and denigrate the artists. I always said 'people' and sorry, but it was never my intention to associate you to them. I simply said that spreading this misconception is harmful for BTS, and fuels hatred towards them.

By the way... you said that they were being abused... what does that have to do with BigHit buying Pledis? The guys have nothing to do with this decision, and it doesn't prove or even hints that BigHit is abusing them.

If you want to discuss shady tactics used by music companies, let's have this decision then. I can pull of a whole list of these tactics like chart manipulation and buying awards, something primarily done by the former 'big 3' and a lot of big companies in kpop. Kim Seokjin and Kim Namjoon, two of the members of BTS have done speeches in award shows politely going against sajaegi (or chart manipulation).

But this is off the topic and has nothing to do with the well-being of BTS. You didn't went against any of the facts that I stated that prove that they aren't being abused, therefore I imagine that you have no evidence to support this whole 'abuse' narrative. It feels to me you are just annoyed at BigHit for buying the company Seventeen is under.

If you want to continue this discussion please send me a private message so that we can chat more.
Zion Mesa
Posts: 235
Joined: 18 Jan 2020, 08:40
2021 Reading Goal: 25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

Julie-p wrote: 26 May 2020, 13:49
Zion Mesa wrote: 25 May 2020, 16:04
Ok
What does racist people and hating the artists have to do with the current conversation though? I didn't say anything hateful about the people or the artists. If anything, I implied that I'm worried about them and don't want to pay into something potentially harmful to them.

It's sounds as though you're generalizing in your response towards me. I never said I was hating, I didn't imply anything xenophobic (which if you were using the term in the proper context shouldn't even be able to enter the conversation.) and I didn't specify only Korean media or only BigHit. There are companies on both sides of the ocean that I don't support and it has nothing to do with "xenophobia".

It's simply caring about people and excercising caution. I'm doing constant research on the topic if you care to know, and I keep finding sketchy things that don't seem right to me. Airing on the side of caution, I've decided not to support the company unless I feel it's safe to do so.

I don't do this for fun.
It sucks.
Seventeen is one of my favorite bands.
It's not pleasant to know that now they're on Weverse and BigHit has been lying about having purchased Pledis at all.

It just doesn't sit right with me.
I mentioned racist and xenophobes because a lot of them use this 'they are abused excuse' to mock and denigrate the artists. I always said 'people' and sorry, but it was never my intention to associate you to them. I simply said that spreading this misconception is harmful for BTS, and fuels hatred towards them.

By the way... you said that they were being abused... what does that have to do with BigHit buying Pledis? The guys have nothing to do with this decision, and it doesn't prove or even hints that BigHit is abusing them.

If you want to discuss shady tactics used by music companies, let's have this decision then. I can pull of a whole list of these tactics like chart manipulation and buying awards, something primarily done by the former 'big 3' and a lot of big companies in kpop. Kim Seokjin and Kim Namjoon, two of the members of BTS have done speeches in award shows politely going against sajaegi (or chart manipulation).

But this is off the topic and has nothing to do with the well-being of BTS. You didn't went against any of the facts that I stated that prove that they aren't being abused, therefore I imagine that you have no evidence to support this whole 'abuse' narrative. It feels to me you are just annoyed at BigHit for buying the company Seventeen is under.

If you want to continue this discussion please send me a private message so that we can chat more.
Sure, I'm always up for talking about shady tactics although I fail to see how that'd help YOUR argument. If you're suggesting that other companies doing wrong makes BigHit better in some way, that's not true.

But I've PM'd and we can continue this elsewhere.

Sorry, to anyone who may have been disturbed by the conversation thus far.
User avatar
yapashley
Posts: 196
Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 02:47
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I'm not a die hard BTS fan but both my sisters are! I don't really listen to their songs or watch their day to day activities but I do like watching them perform. Whenever my sisters watch, I watch with them and support them.
User avatar
Aliphsi
Posts: 14
Joined: 25 Feb 2021, 05:33
2021 Reading Goal: 70
Currently Reading: Life Lessons
Bookshelf Size: 877
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aliphsi »

I already listened to kpop when I knew about BTS but never gave them much attention, just listen to their songs here and there. But then, I discover their personalities and I turned immediately into a fan. Now they are the artist I listen to the most.
There is so much to learn about each of them. Their message is very important to me and has helped me a lot. It's not that I've never listened to what they say from other sources, but because they let themselves be vulnerable and share their stories in the most honest way possible is that the message reached me. I've finally listened. Of course, they didn't solve my life or anything like that, but I try every day to implement what they teach me in my life. I can certainly say that I'm happier now with them in my life, and it goes beyond how comfortable and safe I feel while watching them or reading what they say. They inspire me to be better and that includes being better with myself as well.
User avatar
Attrim
Posts: 1
Joined: 05 Mar 2021, 04:35
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Attrim »

Heya...i was into crackhead people since forever so i used to watch run ep idk since how long but then i realised they r into music and i got into it real hard and most heartedly it was lowkey back in 2015
User avatar
Moira15
Posts: 61
Joined: 16 Jun 2020, 00:13
Currently Reading: The Liar's Key
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moira15.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Moira15 »

Well I dont really know how I was introduced to Kpop... I think maybe a video from Teen Top just popped up on Youtube years ago. Then came Shinee, and than BTS. It is interesting how many fans even mainly not understanding the language relate to the songs and so to each other. I think music in general has a big influence on our life, and BTS has a way with its songs that relates to today's generations. They talk about feelings and problems in the modern era that young people have. This way they also show to everyone that these problems are more common than we would think.
Wildflowertheorist
Posts: 202
Joined: 02 Mar 2020, 03:31
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Julie-p wrote: 24 May 2020, 07:34
Zion Mesa wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 06:18 I'm a xenophile and I was just curious about Korean music, did a YouTube search and bingo... BTS

Unfortunately I never had the chance to get into them, I found out about the abusive situation that the members are subjected to and I promptly stopped supporting. I only got to hear about four songs.
Don't let yourself be mistaken. A lot of abuse happen on the music industry as a whole (not just the Korean one), but the company BTS is under is BigHit. They never signed an abusive contract, get a fair share of the income of their albuns (a percentage much higher than the other idols), and always got a lot of creative freedom since the beginning, being deeply involved on the writing and producing. All of the hours of hard work that put into isn't something that is in their contracts or they being forced to it. They are hard workers because they like what they do and it is something deeply tied to eastern Asian culture (after all, is common to have stories of students in China, Japan and Korean that study for over 12 hours a day). They struggled at the beginning because neither they or their company had a lot of money, and were boycotted and dismissed by the Korean media. Now, they make up for most of their company profits, which leads them a pretty powerful position inside it. Last but not least, they even renewed their contract last year (and I'm sure they had several other offers).

Please, do your research before saying these things, they are not abused or tied to an unfair contract. And whoever says otherwise is most likely a xenophobe trying to put a bad light to them, because there is no evidence. The whole 'dark side of kpop' is.., if I could curse I would... after all, BTS and BigHit are not like other groups or companies, and abuse happens in every music industry no matter the county.

And... Sorry about this huge text, but I hate when people start spreading misinformation. And they use this whole generalization, not hate on the companies of kpop who abuse (BigHit not being included on this list), but on the artists who don't deserve this. Even going as far as saying racist and xenophobic comments to them.
Heyyyyy, I'm glad you put it out there. Because I dislike it when people put BTS in the same category as bands who've to suffer because of their managements.
BTS is amazing and they're literally changing lived (for the better).
They have such a huge impact. And the best part is they give people a reason to get through any tough situation.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
Mehwish Qaiser
Posts: 24
Joined: 28 Apr 2020, 06:57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mehwish-qaiser.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Mehwish Qaiser »

you are quite right compared to groups like shinee where the members were put through mental trauma, bts has been nothing but treated fairly with lots of room to grow and take over the industry by storm.
Post Reply

Return to “Poetry & Music”