Discuss the October 2015 book of the month Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
Lil Reads
Currently Reading: Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lil-reads.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Re: Children's Decisions

Post by Lil Reads »

Sometimes the traditional way of leaning something or being taught something, doesn't work for everyone, so alternative methods are developed. It is similar to the rhymes created to teach spelling rules (e.g. 'I before E') or history (e.g. 'In 1492 Columbus sailed'). I think that if Slacker's parents or teachers had been able to frame schoolwork or chores in terms of fishing, he might have been more receptive to doing things besides fishing.

For example, if Slacker was struggling with math, give him problems related to fishing, such as seeing how many fish he would catch per month if he caught fish at regular intervals or show him how to budget by showing him how much money he could be paid per pound of fish versus how much money it would take to maintain a boat, a crew, and supplies.

If he struggled in reading, offer him a biography from a fisherman or stories about fishing.

Science can be taught by examining fish remains and observing fish in the water.
:coffee3-smiley: :auto-mysterymachine:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I think it is perfectly possible to give children a couple of simple, regular chores that only take a few minutes (such as putting the bins out) and so are not burdensome. I do also believe that some talents are innate... practice does of course help but natural ability can make a difference.
Lilyflower-x2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilyflower-x2.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Lilyflower-x2 »

I agree that a child's interests can play a major role in learning. They learn with far less fuss if the subject holds an interest to them.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I don’t think talent as such really exists. There is only a commitment, concentration, vision and determination to master something or not.

Return to “"Free Fish Friday" by Lee Stone”