Characterization

Discuss the October 2015 book of the month Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
Lee Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: Characterization

Post by Lee Stone »

The radio talk show host did a pretty good job of trashing old Slacker, no? Ha, ha, haaaa! Key Wes!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:I agree with bookowlie and thought as well that the people judged Slacker too fast.
Particularly the Hooks.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Lee Stone wrote:The radio talk show host did a pretty good job of trashing old Slacker, no? Ha, ha, haaaa! Key Wes!
He did, lol. I never suspected Slacker though. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Lee Stone wrote:The radio talk show host did a pretty good job of trashing old Slacker, no? Ha, ha, haaaa! Key Wes!
His name was pretty funny. In fact, pretty much all of the characters' names were cool - Blinky, Conch, Honey and Rusty Hook, and, of course, Slacker. Can you imagine going to work in an office and telling your new boss, "My nickname is Slacker"? :lol:
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

bookowlie wrote:
His name was pretty funny. In fact, pretty much all of the characters' names were cool - Blinky, Conch, Honey and Rusty Hook, and, of course, Slacker. Can you imagine going to work in an office and telling your new boss, "My nickname is Slacker"? :lol:
You touched on something that made me laugh at myself when I wrote it. Once little Harry Mills' mother started calling him Slacker, her expectations of him seemed to disappear. He took note and started signing his school work with the Slacker handle ... hoping his teacher's expectations would go away too!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

He wasn't such a slacker when it came to doing the activities her loved....or should I say activity. :) I wish his grandfather had come to live with him in Key West while he was alive. They would have had a lot of great time together, not just the short trop his grandfather took.
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:He wasn't such a slacker when it came to doing the activities her loved....or should I say activity. :) I wish his grandfather had come to live with him in Key West while he was alive. They would have had a lot of great time together, not just the short trop his grandfather took.
I agree and wish the same.

Actually I thought it was bad of him mom to call him thus. What kind of a mother gives her son such a nickname?!
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I agree. Still, it was nice to discover later in the story that his mom had invested the money his grandfather left for him, to be put aside for him. She might not have be positive in the way she treated him as a child, but at least she wasn't greedy.
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I agree. Still, it was nice to discover later in the story that his mom had invested the money his grandfather left for him, to be put aside for him. She might not have be positive in the way she treated him as a child, but at least she wasn't greedy.
A good point! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

gali wrote:
bookowlie wrote:He wasn't such a slacker when it came to doing the activities her loved....or should I say activity. :) I wish his grandfather had come to live with him in Key West while he was alive. They would have had a lot of great time together, not just the short trop his grandfather took.

Actually I thought it was bad of him mom to call him thus. What kind of a mother give her son such a nickname?!
A very frustrated mother! Hey, I want to pay tribute to you, owlie and gali. You are both very attentive and retentive readers. You amaze and please me with your recall. Do either of you write? I'd love to return the favor.
gali

Post by gali »

Indeed and I understand your point. Still as a mother myself I would never give my kids negative nicknames, no matter how much they frustrate me at times... :wink:

Thank you. I just write reviews, but thanks all the same. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Slacker didn't like the nickname at first either ... seemed like harsh treatment of a son who put so much fresh fish on the family dinner table!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Lee Stone wrote:
gali wrote:

Actually I thought it was bad of him mom to call him thus. What kind of a mother give her son such a nickname?!
A very frustrated mother! Hey, I want to pay tribute to you, owlie and gali. You are both very attentive and retentive readers. You amaze and please me with your recall. Do either of you write? I'd love to return the favor.
Thanks for the kind words. I am not a writer, but it's nice of you to offer! I am a little too attentive and retentive at times. If I wasn't so afraid of guns or the risk of being around criminals, a police detective would have been the perfect career for me. :)
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

bookowlie wrote:Believe it or not, my favorite characters were Rusty and Honey! I loved that they took Jerry's ideas and ran with them. The setting of the bar where the locals gathered regularly reminded me of Luke's Diner in the Gilmore Girls TV show.
I agree with you about the Rusty Hook. It had the same feeling of Luke's Diner or the bar from Cheers where all the locals come to gossip. I often wish my town had someplace like that. Rusty and Honey were also my favorite characters in the beginning, but they turned on Slacker so quickly. I found it hard to like them then.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I agree about Rusty and Honey. It's weird, but I took it personally when they turned on Slacker so quickly. :)

Return to “"Free Fish Friday" by Lee Stone”