Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Questions for the Author

Post by gali »

Lee Stone wrote:
gali wrote:Great questions and I will add another one. 8)

I found Slacker a unique character. Is he based on a real person?
I realized that I didn't really answer this very good question. My visual and perceptual image of Slacker is embodied by actor Owen Wilson. Specifically, Owen as he presents himself in my all-time favorite comedy, "Wedding Crashers." I think it is valuable, even essential, to have a tangible image of a main character. To convey that visual to my reader, I even referred to Slacker's bent nose as an "Owen Wilson." I attempted to establish Jerry Porter's identity immediately - referring to him as "George Costanza-like." Costanza was a Seinfeld character.
Thank you for the answer. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Now that you mentioned Owen Wilson, I will think of Slacker Mills whenever I see reruns of this movie. I can't say that Jerry Porter conjured up George Constanza for me. I pictured Jerry Porter as being one of these Midwestern guys who moves to Florida and still looks and dresses like a Midwest transplant. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lee Stone wrote:
bookowlie wrote:Thanks for the info. The setting was like an extra character in the story. There are two characters (no spoilers yet!) where I wonder if they will stay away forever or will move back. I was disappointed when they decided to move.
If you are referring to the two girls who drove off together, they are the principal characters in "Barracuda."
I'm excited for this! I was wondering what has become of them since at the end of this book we didn't really find out.

-- 28 Oct 2015, 20:44 --
Lee Stone wrote:Future Slacker adventures will be determined by where I want to visit! I'm going to Costa Rica in December. I am currently writing in an entirely different genre ... young adult contemporary. "The Student Council." Why would a sixteen-year-old want to burn down her high school? For young Amy Westin, the answer was simple: because of all the good that could from it!
This does sound very intriguing. I'm looking forward to it!

-- 28 Oct 2015, 20:51 --

Here is my question: Fishing has become such a haven for Slacker. Do you share similar feelings towards this activity? If not, what inspired you to have Slacker love fishing so much?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Lee Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Lee Stone »

I love fishing and am fascinated by people who are obsessed with any particular thing. While we, as a society, tend to favor raising children to be well-rounded, it's also undeniable that obsessive people tend to be the very best at what they do. I used fishing because I knew more about it than skiing, music, business, or astrophysics!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Lee Stone wrote:I love fishing and am fascinated by people who are obsessed with any particular thing. While we, as a society, tend to favor raising children to be well-rounded, it's also undeniable that obsessive people tend to be the very best at what they do. I used fishing because I knew more about it than skiing, music, business, or astrophysics!
I love knowing the inspiration of books from authors. It is useful and insightful for myself, but it's also wonderful to tell my students (who could be future authors) how good writers write about what they know.

This is a good point: "obsessive people tend to be the very best at what they do." They absolutely do!

Thank you for answering my questions. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I agree. It's always interesting to discover the inspiration behind an author's book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I agree. It's always interesting to discover the inspiration behind an author's book.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

:D ..
Heidi

Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html
Latest Review: "Chains of Mist" by T.C. Metivier

Post by Aithne »

Do fishermen really have a following something like rodeo cowboys in Texas? I struggle to see fishermen having that appeal, considering the heat, sweat and smell of working on the ocean and gutting fish, etc. I find it interesting you would pick a fisherman as a 'benevolent hero', too. It's an unusual choice. Any particular reason behind it?

-- 07 Nov 2015, 19:28 --
Lee Stone wrote:I love fishing and am fascinated by people who are obsessed with any particular thing. While we, as a society, tend to favor raising children to be well-rounded, it's also undeniable that obsessive people tend to be the very best at what they do. I used fishing because I knew more about it than skiing, music, business, or astrophysics!
My pardon, looks like my question has mostly been answered already! Still doesn't explain the sex appeal, perhaps, but explains the topic choice. Write what you know, eh? :)
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Aithne wrote:Do fishermen really have a following something like rodeo cowboys in Texas? I struggle to see fishermen having that appeal, considering the heat, sweat and smell of working on the ocean and gutting fish, etc. I find it interesting you would pick a fisherman as a 'benevolent hero', too. It's an unusual choice. Any particular reason behind it?

-- 07 Nov 2015, 19:28 --
My pardon, looks like my question has mostly been answered already! Still doesn't explain the sex appeal, perhaps, but explains the topic choice. Write what you know, eh? :)
On fishermen having the female following of rodeo cowboys: Aithne, you are the very first reader to ever comment on that! The answer is simple. Of course they don't! My joy in writing that ... remember, the story is told from Slacker's perspective ... is to show the pride fishermen take in doing what they do and the over-inflated self image of some. It tied right in with Slacker saying he never tired of hearing that he was the best fisherman. Slacker's actual "success" with ladies was tied to his fame and notoriety, not so much with being a fisherman. I was laughing over the keyboard when I wrote that - hoping readers would be amused more than confused.
Aithne
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aithne.html

Post by Aithne »

On fishermen having the female following of rodeo cowboys: Aithne, you are the very first reader to ever comment on that! The answer is simple. Of course they don't! My joy in writing that ... remember, the story is told from Slacker's perspective ... is to show the pride fishermen take in doing what they do and the over-inflated self image of some. It tied right in with Slacker saying he never tired of hearing that he was the best fisherman. Slacker's actual "success" with ladies was tied to his fame and notoriety, not so much with being a fisherman. I was laughing over the keyboard when I wrote that - hoping readers would be amused more than confused.
Haha! Glad to be the first to ask something. Thanks for the explanation. I suppose in older times there was a certain lure to the sea and an air around pirates, but fishermen is a new ballgame! :)
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Lee Stone wrote:From a broad perspective, I wanted to create a character and experience that a reader would not forget a day or two after finishing the book. The End of the Road Motel. The Rusty Hook. The Ayudame. These are places and things I wanted to plant in a reader's mind forever.

I live in South Florida and visit Key West. Dozens of authors publish Key West mysteries. There's a new one every other day. Murder victims are everywhere, like flies on a window sill. In truth, it's one of the most peaceful towns anywhere ... one murder every few years. I wanted to represent the town properly.

As to the characters, Jerry Porter said it all early in the first chapter. People move to Key West to be themselves, find themselves, or reinvent themselves. Jerry fit into the latter category (you came to find out). Slacker believed himself to be in the first category, but wound up in the second, thanks to Jerry.
I am a couple of years late, but I hope the author could still see this post. He said that he modeled Slacker after Owen Wilson. Would it be preposterous to say that he also modeled Slacker after himself? From what I have googled about the author, he seems to be a Slacker too (not the negative connotation, mind you!) in terms of personality and zest for life.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Great observation, Miriam. My family and friends insist that I modeled Slacker after myself too. The truth is that after conjuring up the character, I've become more and more like him.

Have you read "The Student Council"? I'd be happy to gift you the ebook. The anti-heroine is a 16-year-old, exactly nothing like me ... but sharing some similar ideals.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for replying, Lee. I would be honored to have your "The Student Council". More power!

Return to “"Free Fish Friday" by Lee Stone”