Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Questions for the Author

Post by bookowlie »

The Key West setting, characters, and sport of fishing are so vividly described. I was wondering what inspired you to write this series. Are you an avid fisherman? Did you live in Key West or a town with a similar lifestyle? All the elements I mentioned are spot on.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Great questions and I will add another one. 8)

I found Slacker a unique character. Is he based on a real person?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Since Slacker grew up in Minnesota before moving to Key West, were you inspired by a similar move to a radically different climate and/or lifestyle?
Lee Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Lee Stone »

From a broad perspective, I wanted to create a character and experience that a reader would not forget a day or two after finishing the book. The End of the Road Motel. The Rusty Hook. The Ayudame. These are places and things I wanted to plant in a reader's mind forever.

I live in South Florida and visit Key West. Dozens of authors publish Key West mysteries. There's a new one every other day. Murder victims are everywhere, like flies on a window sill. In truth, it's one of the most peaceful towns anywhere ... one murder every few years. I wanted to represent the town properly.

As to the characters, Jerry Porter said it all early in the first chapter. People move to Key West to be themselves, find themselves, or reinvent themselves. Jerry fit into the latter category (you came to find out). Slacker believed himself to be in the first category, but wound up in the second, thanks to Jerry.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the info. The setting was like an extra character in the story. There are two characters (no spoilers yet!) where I wonder if they will stay away forever or will move back. I was disappointed when they decided to move.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

bookowlie wrote:Thanks for the info. The setting was like an extra character in the story. There are two characters (no spoilers yet!) where I wonder if they will stay away forever or will move back. I was disappointed when they decided to move.
If you are referring to the two girls who drove off together, they are the principal characters in "Barracuda."
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

No...I know about them because Devan mentioned them at the end of the book. I don't want to give spoilers yet (maybe in a week or two!), but I am referring to the married couple that had a successful establishment. :)
gali

Post by gali »

Thank you for the answers. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Since this book is the first installment in the series, do you already have a broad vision for the entire series or do you approach each installment's plot as a new idea to be formed after you've written each installment? For example, J.K. Rowling has stated that she plotted out the entire Harry Potter series right from the start.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Future Slacker adventures will be determined by where I want to visit! I'm going to Costa Rica in December. I am currently writing in an entirely different genre ... young adult contemporary. "The Student Council." Why would a sixteen-year-old want to burn down her high school? For young Amy Westin, the answer was simple: because of all the good that could from it!
eskimoses
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eskimoses »

I have it on good authority that the 3rd installment of Slacker's adventures is a great storyline. Turns out, trouble can find Slacker even in Costa Rica... Before that though, the author is working on a different book entirely. No spoilers, but think (Michelle) Corleone.
Last edited by eskimoses on 16 Oct 2015, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Great! That also answers another question I had - if the future installments were going to be set in Key West or in different locales.

-- 16 Oct 2015, 12:34 --
eskimoses wrote:I have it on good authority that the 3rd installment of Slacker's adventures is a great storyline. Turns out, trouble can find Slacker even in Costa Rica... Before that though, the author is working on a different book entirely. No spoilers, but think (Michelle) Corelone.
I assume you are referring to a female version of Michael Corleone from The Godfather? Sounds awesome.
gali

Post by gali »

Lee Stone wrote:Future Slacker adventures will be determined by where I want to visit! I'm going to Costa Rica in December. I am currently writing in an entirely different genre ... young adult contemporary. "The Student Council." Why would a sixteen-year-old want to burn down her high school? For young Amy Westin, the answer was simple: because of all the good that could from it!
Sounds interesting! Good luck! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Dphaber
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphaber.html
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta

Post by Dphaber »

Lee Stone wrote:Future Slacker adventures will be determined by where I want to visit! I'm going to Costa Rica in December. I am currently writing in an entirely different genre ... young adult contemporary. "The Student Council." Why would a sixteen-year-old want to burn down her high school? For young Amy Westin, the answer was simple: because of all the good that could from it!
Interesting concept... Looking forward to it!
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

gali wrote:Great questions and I will add another one. 8)

I found Slacker a unique character. Is he based on a real person?
I realized that I didn't really answer this very good question. My visual and perceptual image of Slacker is embodied by actor Owen Wilson. Specifically, Owen as he presents himself in my all-time favorite comedy, "Wedding Crashers." I think it is valuable, even essential, to have a tangible image of a main character. To convey that visual to my reader, I even referred to Slacker's bent nose as an "Owen Wilson." I attempted to establish Jerry Porter's identity immediately - referring to him as "George Costanza-like." Costanza was a Seinfeld character.

Return to “"Free Fish Friday" by Lee Stone”