Jason Tooke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jason-tooke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Re: Overall rating and opinion of Free Fish Friday

Post by Jason Tooke »

I just finished reading this book last night and it was wonderful , the characters were well developed and the story was deep and interesting. The author was able to paint a vivid picture for me of what life in Florida’s key west was like . I really enjoyed the main character and his attitude toward life and the plot was so interesting that I couldn’t put the book down . I can’t wait to read the second book barracuda!
Lee Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Lee Stone »

Thank you so much, Tooke17. Your reaction alone would have made writing the book worthwhile! I hope you enjoy "Barracuda" at least as well.
Dphaber
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphaber.html
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta

Post by Dphaber »

Having been subjected to quite a bit of both, I didn't think I'd enjoy this much fishing and Florida! Glad I picked this one up, finished it in less than a day. Very enjoyable mystery book.
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Dphaber wrote:Having been subjected to quite a bit of both, I didn't think I'd enjoy this much fishing and Florida! Glad I picked this one up, finished it in less than a day. Very enjoyable mystery book.
And I hope very different than any mystery you've run into before, Dphaber. Thank you for both reading it and taking time to comment. I'll be interested to see how you like the sequel.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Dphaber wrote:Having been subjected to quite a bit of both, I didn't think I'd enjoy this much fishing and Florida! Glad I picked this one up, finished it in less than a day. Very enjoyable mystery book.
Have you read it already? You have said just now, on the other thread, that you may pick it up. :?:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

gali wrote:
Have you read it already? You have said just now, on the other thread, that you may pick it up. :?:
How cute is that? The epitome of a quick read!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

gali wrote:
I am a fast reader, but that was FAST!!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:
gali wrote:
I am a fast reader, but that was FAST!!
Ditto! 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The beginning didn't confuse me at all. I became interested in the characters from the beginning and was drawn into the mystery. I'm glad there is a second book in the series.
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Momlovesbooks wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The beginning didn't confuse me at all. I became interested in the characters from the beginning and was drawn into the mystery. I'm glad there is a second book in the series.
Thank you so much for sharing your time with Slacker!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Here is my unoffical review -
I loved this book, even more so thinking about it days after I finished it. The characters really stayed with me and I consider that the hallmark of a good book. The pacing in the first half of the book is a bit slow, although still enjoyable to read. The story is very character driven, so that probably affected the pacing. The real highlights are the memorable characters, setting, and writing. Slacker Mills is a flawed, although likeable, character. He would be a great character for a TV series.

The writing is excellent. The whole time I was reading I felt like I was sitting in The Rusty Hook every night and listening to Slacker and his cronies reminisce about the events. The descriptions, dialogue, and observations are written well and there is never a feeling of too much description or long-winded passages. Not too little, not too much...just the right amount of flavor in the writing. There are a handful of missing words here and there, but nothing major and certainly not distracting.

The laid-back Key West setting is vivid. I could picture the Rusty Hook bar, the End of the Road motel, and the entire area as if I were right there.

My only criticism is that the mystery itself wasn't always front and center. There were times during the story where the plot went off on long tangents, such as renovating the motel. The mystery lacked tension at times. Jerry was found dead and it seemed strange that Slacker started renovating the motel days later, the Hooks and Jordan were making plans (no spoilers), etc. Other than that, I loved the book and rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
Last edited by bookowlie on 16 Oct 2015, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:Here is my unoffical review -
I loved this book, even more so thinking about it days after I finished it. The characters really stayed with me and I consider that the hallmark of a good book. The pacing in the first half of the book is a bit slow, although still enjoyable to read. The story is very character driven, so that probably affected the pacing. The real highlights are the memorable characters, setting, and writing. Slacker Mills is a flawed, although likeable, character. He would be a great character for a TV series.

The writing is excellent. The whole time I was reading I felt like I was sitting in The Rusty Hook every night and listening to Slacker and his cronies reminisce about the events. The descriptions, dialogue, and observations are written well and there is never a feeling of too much description or long-winded passages. Not too little, not too much...just the right amount of flavor in the writing. There are a handful of missing words here and there, but nothing major and certainly not distracting.

The laid-back Key West setting is vivid. I could picture the Rusty Hook bar, the End of the Road motel, and the entire area as if I were right there.

My only criticism is that the mystery itself was always front and center. There were times during the story where the plot went off on long tangents, such as renovating the motel. The mystery lacked tension at times. Jerry was found dead and it seemed strange that Slacker started renovating the motel days later, the Hooks and Jordan were making plans (no spoilers), etc. Other than that, I loved the book and rate it 4 out of 4 stars.
I agree and think the same. Good review! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks. It was weird writing an unofficial review, since I've become so used to the guidelines for the official ones. :)

-- 16 Oct 2015, 11:17 --

I just noticed and corrected an error in the review I just posted. It should read "wasn't always front and center."
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Beautifully done and welcomed from the bottom of my heart. Incidentally, I see that you have posted a review to Amazon and I doubly appreciate that. There are literally millions of books at Amazon and plentiful and articulate reviews are extremely important in getting a book noticed by potential readers. Any readers that would like to influence others to read "Free Fish Friday" are encouraged to drop a couple sentences of review on Amazon. It's the best way to say "Thanks" if you enjoy a book.

I loved your comments/concerns about the details of the belated motel renovation. A book is what it is and has to stand alone, so my response is for your interest and amusement only. For me, the renovation was a symbol of the change that Jerry triggered in Slacker. During their years together, it was a topic of daily conversation. As Jerry's daughter later pointed out, her father had written to her that the day Slacker started fixing up that hotel would be the day that he emerged as a full-fledged adult. The fact that Slacker started honoring Jerry's wishes on the day he died was basically a tribute to his friend - the most meaningful thing he could do. The fact that he continued the project even after knowing the motel would soon be demolished reflected the strength of that commitment.

None of that matters, of course. Only what you, the reader, thought really matters. What I love is the fact that the characters and events are sticking with you! My primary motive in taking up writing was to provide something that would stick to the ribs. If I get my way, you will remember many of the details of this book a year from now too. Every time you hear or see the word "slacker," it will mean only one thing: Slacker Mills!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Lee Stone wrote:Beautifully done and welcomed from the bottom of my heart. Incidentally, I see that you have posted a review to Amazon and I doubly appreciate that. There are literally millions of books at Amazon and plentiful and articulate reviews are extremely important in getting a book noticed by potential readers. Any readers that would like to influence others to read "Free Fish Friday" are encouraged to drop a couple sentences of review on Amazon. It's the best way to say "Thanks" if you enjoy a book.

I loved your comments/concerns about the details of the belated motel renovation. A book is what it is and has to stand alone, so my response is for your interest and amusement only. For me, the renovation was a symbol of the change that Jerry triggered in Slacker. During their years together, it was a topic of daily conversation. As Jerry's daughter later pointed out, her father had written to her that the day Slacker started fixing up that hotel would be the day that he emerged as a full-fledged adult. The fact that Slacker started honoring Jerry's wishes on the day he died was basically a tribute to his friend - the most meaningful thing he could do. The fact that he continued the project even after knowing the motel would soon be demolished reflected the strength of that commitment.

None of that matters, of course. Only what you, the reader, thought really matters. What I love is the fact that the characters and events are sticking with you! My primary motive in taking up writing was to provide something that would stick to the ribs. If I get my way, you will remember many of the details of this book a year from now too. Every time you hear or see the word "slacker," it will mean only one thing: Slacker Mills!
You're most welcome. It's nice to give exposure to books that deserve the exposure. :)
I can see your point about why Slacker started so soon on the renovations, as a tribute to his friend and a sign of the change Jerry ignited in Slacker. There are many nuances like that throughout the book.

Return to “"Free Fish Friday" by Lee Stone”