Overall rating and opinion of Free Fish Friday

Discuss the October 2015 book of the month Free Fish Friday by Lee Stone
Lee Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: Overall rating and opinion of Free Fish Friday

Post by Lee Stone »

Thank you so much for mentioning nuances! I feel like they make for interesting reading and employed them throughout.

Another point. Just as you say that club book reviews follow a certain boilerplate, I believe that most detective/mystery novels I've read follow a common boilerplate as well, making them comfortable but often forgettable. As a new writer, I didn't want to emulate any other author ... not in any way. That included a refusal to adhere to that boilerplate. The most obvious example of that is the two or three chapters that follow the resolution of Jerry's death. That death and its investigation were an event in "Free Fish Friday," not the crux of the story. The story is about people. There's risk in asking readers to travel outside the regular framework, but reviews have been very encouraging and downloads of the sequel even moreso.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Lee Stone wrote:Thank you so much for mentioning nuances! I feel like they make for interesting reading and employed them throughout.

Another point. Just as you say that club book reviews follow a certain boilerplate, I believe that most detective/mystery novels I've read follow a common boilerplate as well, making them comfortable but often forgettable. As a new writer, I didn't want to emulate any other author ... not in any way. That included a refusal to adhere to that boilerplate. The most obvious example of that is the two or three chapters that follow the resolution of Jerry's death. That death and its investigation were an event in "Free Fish Friday," not the crux of the story. The story is about people. There's risk in asking readers to travel outside the regular framework, but reviews have been very encouraging and downloads of the sequel even moreso.
Those nuances, and the departure from the mold, were what I loved about your book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Lee Stone wrote:Thank you so much for mentioning nuances! I feel like they make for interesting reading and employed them throughout.

I agree that many mystery novels follow a common boilerplate. They are very plot-driven, with obvious clues, red herrings, and twists. The stories are usually less about people and thought-provoking topics. Even if some of the books are page turners, they tend to be very forgettable, like eating a bag of chips.

As for the OBC book reviews, the boilerplate you mentioned is not so strict. Yes, we do have to include a minimum word count and number of paragraphs, clear justification for the particular rating, and at least a short explanation of what the book is about. I think the justification for the rating is so important. For example, you wouldn't want a reviewer to give a book 2 stars when they stated they loved everything about the book except for one very minor thing.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

You're right about chips. They always taste pretty much the same, but the stores sure sell lots of them!
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Maybe I should change my comment about chips. I love potato chips and certain brands are outstanding! :)

-- 18 Oct 2015, 09:53 --
gali wrote:

Those nuances, and the departure from the mold, were what I loved about your book.
I agree Gali!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

The sequel to "Free Fish Friday" will be available for free download all day tomorrow, Oct. 19. Titled "Barracuda," it is scheduled for review on this site in the near future. Hope you enjoy. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0113M ... entries*=0
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks for the heads up. We will all have to regroup and discuss Barracuda in its own topic in a few weeks!
gali

Post by gali »

Lee Stone wrote:The sequel to "Free Fish Friday" will be available for free download all day tomorrow, Oct. 19. Titled "Barracuda," it is scheduled for review on this site in the near future. Hope you enjoy. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0113M ... entries*=0
Thank you, I downloaded the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

I got Barracuda this morning and already read the first three chapters. As much as I enjoyed Free Fish Friday, I like Barracuda even more so far! The pacing is quicker. One note - Honey Hook is officially off my favorite character list. :)
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:I got Barracuda this morning and already read the first three chapters. As much as I enjoyed Free Fish Friday, I like Barracuda even more so far! The pacing is quicker. One note - Honey Hook is officially off my favorite character list. :)
Glad to hear it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

bookowlie wrote:I got Barracuda this morning and already read the first three chapters. As much as I enjoyed Free Fish Friday, I like Barracuda even more so far! The pacing is quicker. One note - Honey Hook is officially off my favorite character list. :)
How exciting is that! With the Slacker character and other elements established In FFF, I had a green light to charge forward. The fact that you downloaded it and bit into a few chapters means so much to me. I promise you just one thing: "Barracuda" is a different kind of story too.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

A nice thing I noticed is that Barracuda can also be read as a standalone book, for people who haven't read Free Fish Friday first. You included a good background of the characters and plot from FFF in the beginning Barracuda chapters. I think that's so important when writing a series, for each installment to "stand alone."
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

bookowlie wrote:A nice thing I noticed is that Barracuda can also be read as a standalone book, for people who haven't read Free Fish Friday first. You included a good background of the characters and plot from FFF in the beginning Barracuda chapters. I think that's so important when writing a series, for each installment to "stand alone."
Honestly, I can't imagine someone following the sequel without having read FFF - thus "Sequel to FFF" on the cover. However, I had to deal with the fact that months might pass between readings, so there had to be some "refreshers" sprinkled here and there. I tried to do that sparingly.

Future additions to the series will absolutely stand alone. I'm in complete agreement with that. Again, thanks for allowing me a shot at entertaining you.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

The reason I mentioned the important of standalone books within a series is that I would think an author would always like it if a reader happened to find a book on Amazon, or in a bookstore, that appeal to him/her. You wouldn't want to lose those readers who read a sample and don't buy it because they are confused. I am referring to people that haven't read previous installments of a series.
gali

Post by gali »

bookowlie wrote:The reason I mentioned the important of standalone books within a series is that I would think an author would always like it if a reader happened to find a book on Amazon, or in a bookstore, that appeal to him/her. You wouldn't want to lose those readers who read a sample and don't buy it because they are confused. I am referring to people that haven't read previous installments of a series.
I agree, though I always prefer to start a series from the first book.
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “"Free Fish Friday" by Lee Stone”