Horror Genre Discussion

For October 2015, we will be reading a Supernatural or Horror genre novel in honor of Halloween.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Horror Genre Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

ryanj1 wrote:
hsimone wrote:Hm...all this talk about horror makes me want to dive a little more into it. Honestly, I never would have thought that one day I would say this, but here I am saying it :)

I'll definitely add The Shining to my to-read list, I'm not sure about The Monk. But, thank you, ryanj1, for taking the time to write about each. It helps to see what I'm willing to try!
I hope you enjoy 'The Shining' :)
Thank you! :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

gali wrote: 02 Oct 2015, 07:49 I didn't have a chance to read the book I planned to read yet, so thought I will write about a book I have read a while ago and liked, Heart-Shaped Box/Joe Hill. I rated it 3 out of 4 stars. It belongs to the horror genre of course.
Horror isn't really my cup of tea, but I read horror books whenever the mood strikes me. Truth to be told I chose this book because I knew that Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King. I have not read many of King's books, but I liked what little I've read and I was curios about this book.

This story is about a collector of macabre items. Buying a ghost online will be his undoing...The book is full of ghosts and gore and really gross stuff like in any good horror book, but it is bearable. Hill weaves a chilling horror story that takes the reader on a wild ride. The book has tension and nail-biting moments. There is death, there is mystery, there is intense danger and stress, there is revenge, and all are well woven together. I would certainly recommend this book! 8)
I have heard so many great things about this book, but blood and gore is not the type of horror that I enjoy. I may pick it up in a pinch.

Return to “October 2015 Genre Discussion”