Horror Genre Discussion

For October 2015, we will be reading a Supernatural or Horror genre novel in honor of Halloween.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: Horror Genre Discussion

Post by rssllue »

kio wrote:I third that :) But, at the same time, a clear danger be necessary. Otherwise, it might not seem dangerous. I mean, you can only make a bunny so scary without the clear threat of danger, right. For example, James Howe had to make Bunnicula a vampire bunny to add some horror to his Bunnicula series, but still the bunny only sucked the lives out of vegetables. I think the author has to have a good knowledge of their intended audience to scare. After all, as far as I know, only 3rd to 4 th or 5th grader (pr younger) would be afraid of a vampire bunny who drains vegetables :)
But it's horrific if that child enjoys watching Veggietales! :o
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Ecac0204
Currently Reading: The Cuckoo's Calling
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ecac0204.html

Post by Ecac0204 »

I'm brand new to this site and of course I love to read. I do not have a favorite genre but I like mystery romance and horror. Just like in movies I feel like a lot of books cover the same story line, plots, and climax. That's why it is difficult for me to find a decent series or even just one book that keeps me interested, intrigued, and waiting in suspense because I have not yet unraveled the secret.
Once I do find a book I am one of those people who say one more chapter and I have finished the book. I have read the Twilight series, Vampire Academy series, Bloodlines....mostly Vampire series. Right now I am reading "The Shape Of My Heart" by Ann Aguirre. It started out pretty slow, so far it has been predictable, but I am going to keep reading until I finish. I would love my next book to be a from the horror genre. I am very excited to be apart of this club!
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Welcome to the club @Ecac0204, we're glad to have you :) Don't forget to vote on next month's pick. I can't wait to read your thoughts on horror :) :lol: @ressllue, you have a point :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Ecac0204
Currently Reading: The Cuckoo's Calling
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ecac0204.html

Post by Ecac0204 »

Thank you! Hopefully I'll learn how to navigate through this site! There is just sooo much to look at and read
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Ecac0204 wrote:Thank you! Hopefully I'll learn how to navigate through this site! There is just sooo much to look at and read
Welcome! If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask :)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

:text-yeahthat: :mrgreen:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I just finished reading The Last Stonestepper by Elliot Logan and give it a 4 out of 4 stars rating. (@zeldas_lullaby)

I would say this book fits in the horror genre. It fits in this genre because it taps into the readers' primal fears, our world coming to an end. The world that Matthew Hayes once knew is turned upside-down. When something know as the Event occurs, several people are affected. They are either unresponsive to anything or become extremely aggressive towards unaffected people. With several scenes of aggressive 'crazies' ruthlessly attacking people, the reader is left with unsettling/disturbing feelings.

***SPOILERS are mentioned***

I feel the concept of the 'crazies' is unique to this genre. For one reason, there aren't necessarily zombies, but not too far off. They are considered living and can eventually die from possible starvation and dehydration. Another unique aspect is the theory behind how the 'crazies' were made by their brains being damaged.

One particular aspect that I liked the most was the driving force that kept Matt going - to find the love of his life, Kristen, no matter what the obstacle. The ending was bittersweet, but it didn't really surprised. I thought it would be too much of a 'happily ever after' if Kristen fully survived. I feel it would be too sentimental for this genre. However, I am glad they did end up together in some way.

I would definitely recommend this book to those who like horror, thriller, and a strong lead character. After watching The Walking Dead, I will say this book did not scare as much as it could've, but it definitely has intense scenes and worth the read!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I read The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne. I think this book fits into the horror genre because it's a psychological thriller, mystery, and ghost story. The book is about 2 young girls who are identical twins. One child died from a fall out of a third story window and the parents are still dealing with the grief a year later. They decide to leave London and move to a remote island in Scotland to get away from the memories. At that point, the surviving twin starts telling her mother that she is really the other twin and the "2nd" twin is the one that died. It's not clear whether the girl is disturbed or if the mother really got the story wrong on the day of the accident. There are clues that might or might not involved ghosts.

The book is very well written and the horror elements are well done. I can't say I loved this book because so many parts of it were so sad and horrible. I was very creeped out by many parts. Don't read this book at night before you got to bed!!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

bookowlie wrote:I read The Ice Twins by S.K. Tremayne. I think this book fits into the horror genre because it's a psychological thriller, mystery, and ghost story. The book is about 2 young girls who are identical twins. One child died from a fall out of a third story window and the parents are still dealing with the grief a year later. They decide to leave London and move to a remote island in Scotland to get away from the memories. At that point, the surviving twin starts telling her mother that she is really the other twin and the "2nd" twin is the one that died. It's not clear whether the girl is disturbed or if the mother really got the story wrong on the day of the accident. There are clues that might or might not involved ghosts.

The book is very well written and the horror elements are well done. I can't say I loved this book because so many parts of it were so sad and horrible. I was very creeped out by many parts. Don't read this book at night before you got to bed!!
This sounds really good!

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This does sound like an interesting read! I think I might add this to my to-read list!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

To hsimone:

SPOILERS FROM THE LAST STONESTEPPER!!

I loved the ending. It really moved me. However, the ending that I expected was that he'd end the theater, and it would turn out he was watching his own screenplay at the movies. Boy was I fooled!! But yeah, the heart of the book was his fervent desire to reunite at all costs with his loved one. And the stonestepper symbolism made me weepy--how he survived 'cause he was in the bathroom on the plane, and he wasn't "worthy" to have survived otherwise, but he became worthy by the ending.
jleach1973
Currently Reading: A Dirty Shame
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jleach1973.html

Post by jleach1973 »

The book I finally decided to read and discuss is Evil Eight: Eight Tales of Horror by Christine Dougherty. As you can tell from the title, this book is made up of eight very different short stories so I thought it would be interesting to see how they can be so different and yet be part of the same genre. So... more to come soon!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:To hsimone:

SPOILERS FROM THE LAST STONESTEPPER!!

I loved the ending. It really moved me. However, the ending that I expected was that he'd end the theater, and it would turn out he was watching his own screenplay at the movies. Boy was I fooled!! But yeah, the heart of the book was his fervent desire to reunite at all costs with his loved one. And the stonestepper symbolism made me weepy--how he survived 'cause he was in the bathroom on the plane, and he wasn't "worthy" to have survived otherwise, but he became worthy by the ending.
I thought maybe I was being too sentimental when I also became weepy at the end! All I kept thinking was 'this is supposed to be part of the October Horror genre, I shouldn't be sentimental, right?' Glad I wasn't the only one!

I absolutely agree that Matt became worthy towards the end. This was such a good read, and I'm glad you recommended it! Thanks! :)
Heidi

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

I just read a book that is not classified as being horror, but I really think it could have been.

Alice by Christina Henry

It's classified as fantasy, but it is very violent, from the start the two main characters accept killing (or "not saving") people as a part of life (though the world it's set in makes this necessary), and it deals with power, and the corruption of those who wield it. There are many horrible things, both happening in the present, and rembered through flashbacks.

And all this is in a reimagining of Alice in Wonderland.

I wonder what others would think of it. To me it felt like a vivid nightmare, something I actually enjoyed about it. That just doesn't fit into fantasy to me :confusion-shrug:

A wonder(land)ful read, nonetheless :D

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I haven't heard of this reimagining of Alice in Wonderland. I'm actually kind of intrigued :)
Heidi

Return to “October 2015 Genre Discussion”