October Genre Discussion

For October 2015, we will be reading a Supernatural or Horror genre novel in honor of Halloween.
sphillips44
Favorite Author: Deirdre Martin
Currently Reading: Marcelo in the Real World
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sphillips44.html
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
fav_author_id: 20173

Re: October Genre Discussion

Post by sphillips44 »

Deniseburdette1994 wrote:My pick is a series by first time author and former military serviceman d.j mollis...aftermath it is so riviting. Im 42 but thanks to twd tv series i have rediscovered my love of zombies...having said that i first picked aftermath up on a dare from my autistic son to read something out of my box. Reading the blurb i thought zombies.
Boy was i wrong they are called infected and zombies are angels compared to these guys. I finished book one and two in two days i literally jumped at shadows and double checked my exits...the writing of this series was so fast paced and my adrinaline was in over drive the entire time. The way he ended each book felt like a next on...every ending was a cliff hanger. Im telling u guys check out this series i loved it and im a steadfast paranormal romance kinda gal...thanks for this topic huh i was wondering what i was gonna read next guess im rereading aftermath...lol
This sounds like I would be petrified for weeks and would need a night light in order to sleep. ...I am tempted lol I love a good scare!
Latest Review: "The Wrong Daughter" by Kathryn Rishoff
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I think I'll find a not too scary supernatural novel for me and of course rereading the classic, Biscuit the puppy's Halloween to my three year old. I like the idea of choosing your own book for the month!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
hsimone wrote:I get startled pretty easily too! I haven't actually started my book yet, but hope to by the end of this week!
You startle easily too? Well, you may not be the ideal candidate, but I need someone to go with me down to my dark, spooky basement right now. Since the power went out in the storm and that psycho killer is on the loose, we'll need provisions. There's currently a rat infestation down there, and the ghost of the house's former owner, but if I leave you behind, you'll be alone with whoever just scraped their fingernails down the outer edge of the rain-drenched window. Can you take it? :scared-eek:
Yikes! :shock:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
cowboy1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowboy1.html

Post by cowboy1 »

I enjoy the Horror/Suspence genre. I believe we should go look at the writing's of Edgar Allen Poe. Particularly The Telltale Heart.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Good choice! He certainly has this genre down!

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

rssllue wrote:
zeldas_lullaby wrote:
hsimone wrote:I get startled pretty easily too! I haven't actually started my book yet, but hope to by the end of this week!
You startle easily too? Well, you may not be the ideal candidate, but I need someone to go with me down to my dark, spooky basement right now. Since the power went out in the storm and that psycho killer is on the loose, we'll need provisions. There's currently a rat infestation down there, and the ghost of the house's former owner, but if I leave you behind, you'll be alone with whoever just scraped their fingernails down the outer edge of the rain-drenched window. Can you take it? :scared-eek:
Yikes! :shock:
AHHH!!!! Just reading that gives me the creeps! :shock: :o
But if those were my two options, then I'd rather be with someone than alone...so I guess I'll go with you...be prepared, though, I usually need to squeeze something when something scares me...so your arm might be bruised after all this...

Yikes is right! :?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

cowboy1 wrote:I enjoy the Horror/Suspence genre. I believe we should go look at the writing's of Edgar Allen Poe. Particularly The Telltale Heart.
A good horror story! I have read several of his stories and loved them.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

hsimone wrote:
zeldas_lullaby wrote:
AHHH!!!! Just reading that gives me the creeps! :shock: :o
But if those were my two options, then I'd rather be with someone than alone...so I guess I'll go with you...be prepared, though, I usually need to squeeze something when something scares me...so your arm might be bruised after all this...

Yikes is right! :?
A bad scenario no matter how you slice it!

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

All right, hsimone and I are going to the basement! If we're not back in five minutes, lock us in so that the rats don't make it upstairs... :o
Tfranklin1030
Currently Reading: The Girl On The Train
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tfranklin1030.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tfranklin1030 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will have to check these out :D
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:All right, hsimone and I are going to the basement! If we're not back in five minutes, lock us in so that the rats don't make it upstairs... :o
Done! Just make sure you pound high up on the door so I know it's you if you make it back that far. :shifty:

Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

rssllue wrote:
zeldas_lullaby wrote:All right, hsimone and I are going to the basement! If we're not back in five minutes, lock us in so that the rats don't make it upstairs... :o
Done! Just make sure you pound high up on the door so I know it's you if you make it back that far. :shifty:
Oh, you'll hear pounding high and low on the door and a ton of screaming. This would probably resemble how I would feel... :scared-shocked: (this smilie is known as "scared-shocked")
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

:lol: You might not need me to open the door with that effort. You would run right through it!

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

:shhh: Don't tell hsimone this, but the rats are demanding that a human sacrifice be made. My motives for taking her to the basement cannot be trusted.

"Oh hsimone! Let's go! The crazed killer is outside, so we must go to the basement now."

Scared-shocked? Crazy smiley! It's scaring me, all right! Oh my goodness, it's like being at a deranged disco dance.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

:o Oh dear.

Return to “October 2015 Genre Discussion”