Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Heredity angle

Post by gali »

What did you think about the "murder" gene?

I don't believe in it and thought it was crap (pardon the language).
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I did too (think if was crap). I haven't read the whole book yet, but I get the gist. Legally, you can't try someone for murder based on an inherited proclivity toward violence. The book appears to be inaccurate in that regard. You can only try someone for murder based on evidence (of the murder), behavior, witness testimony, etc.

I sense that the dysfunction (in general) has less to do with genes/genetics and more to do with the fact that the family doesn't know how to communicate. The narrator thinks he's really smart, but he's not seeing what's right in front of him--his family. It's as if he's blind to his limitations. Kinda arrogant.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie

Post by gali »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:I did too (think if was crap). I haven't read the whole book yet, but I get the gist. Legally, you can't try someone for murder based on an inherited proclivity toward violence. The book appears to be inaccurate in that regard. You can only try someone for murder based on evidence (of the murder), behavior, witness testimony, etc.

I sense that the dysfunction (in general) has less to do with genes/genetics and more to do with the fact that the family doesn't know how to communicate. The narrator thinks he's really smart, but he's not seeing what's right in front of him--his family. It's as if he's blind to his limitations. Kinda arrogant.
I agree and think the same.
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Thanks! I don't think that makes it a bad book, though; it's realistic in its dysfunction. The author has a keen mind for messed-up family dynamics. The issue I'm having is that I want it to get there already. How does it end?? Time will tell. :P
gali

Post by gali »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:Thanks! I don't think that makes it a bad book, though; it's realistic in its dysfunction. The author has a keen mind for messed-up family dynamics. The issue I'm having is that I want it to get there already. How does it end?? Time will tell. :P
The ending will surprise you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

That's good to know! I'll post back! :-)
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Agree 100% about it being crap. All the attention that was paid to heredity as being a genuine factor towards Jacobs guilt made me roll my eyes.
gali

Post by gali »

ashley_claire wrote:Agree 100% about it being crap. All the attention that was paid to heredity as being a genuine factor towards Jacobs guilt made me roll my eyes.
Likewise! 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I don't know what I think about the heredity angle. However, I did find that part of the book to be a little draggy.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
lmmallia
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmmallia.html
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by lmmallia »

I felt this part of the book dragged as well.

I didn't really buy the whole heredity angle either. Doesn't Andy kind of dispel this theory anways with the way he lived his life by not following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather? I also thought it was kind of strange that it seemed almost as if Laurie did blame Andy's genes to some extent for Jacob's behavior. This was never blatantly said in the novel but it was kind of implied throughout the novel like when she told him she had a right to know where he came from before she married him. What does that really matter? It's not like his father or his grandfather were a part of his life as he was growing up where they could have influenced him and again he had never acted or shown any of the violent traits of his ancestors. I agree, Andy should have told her about his past but I can understand why he was embarrassed.
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball
gali

Post by gali »

lmmallia wrote:I felt this part of the book dragged as well.

I didn't really buy the whole heredity angle either. Doesn't Andy kind of dispel this theory anways with the way he lived his life by not following in the footsteps of his father and grandfather? I also thought it was kind of strange that it seemed almost as if Laurie did blame Andy's genes to some extent for Jacob's behavior. This was never blatantly said in the novel but it was kind of implied throughout the novel like when she told him she had a right to know where he came from before she married him. What does that really matter? It's not like his father or his grandfather were a part of his life as he was growing up where they could have influenced him and again he had never acted or shown any of the violent traits of his ancestors. I agree, Andy should have told her about his past but I can understand why he was embarrassed.
I agree and thought the same.
A retired Admin/Mod

quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

Overall, I just think it is amazing how advanced science has become. They can pick out just one strand in your genetics that can show one trait passed down generations. I found it interesting in the beginning but, then my eyes started to glaze over as it was dragging down the book.

I do have to say that the author tried to put too many new angles on things which left me glazed over many times!
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

I don't believe in the Murder gene
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I also don't believe in "murder gene". I believe mental illness can be passed down, but not the desire to murder someone.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

This book reminded me a lot of We Need to Talk about Kevin, especially in that it played on the nature versus nurture argument.

I do believe that there could very likely be a genetic predisposition to psychopathy, "the murder gene."

I think the author meant to show that the father also had "the murder gene". In real life, it is known that there are many psychopaths who do not kill or torture people. The father's focus on his career and seeming difficulty empathizing with his wife suggests he had the same tendencies. That also explains why the father was so able to break the rules and basically hurt other people indirectly to help his son. In real life, most psychopaths are successful at their careers, not killers.

With that said, something I very much enjoy about this book (like many well-written novels) is that I do not the book intends to answer the question. Instead, the story asks questions rather than preaching answers to them.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid

Return to “"Defending Jacob" by William Landay”