Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: The Ending

Post by quadbrookie »

gali wrote:
bookowlie wrote:I agree that the ending was jaw-dropping. I did think it was unrealistic. However, it fit in well with the overall concept of the book - how each of the parents reacted to their son being a murder suspect.
I agree with you.

-- October 5th, 2015, 7:32 am --
quadbrokie45 wrote:I can agree with that. If she hadn't stopped him, do you believe he could have become a serial killer?
I think so.
Definitely. So, I want to say that she prevented others from being killed... Could that possibly be used by her defense team, if the book would have gone further?
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't think so since murder is murder and nothing justifies that.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
quadbrookie

Post by quadbrookie »

I agree. It's refreshing to read and discuss with others. I tend to ramble on in my head when a book leaves you without a solid conclusion!
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

The ending was a surprise and I agree that the ending fit in well with the rest of the book.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

When Hope was killed, I was surprised for a second, then I thought, "well, it fits with Jacob's personality", so then I wasn't so shocked, and it made sense to me.

I think what Laurie did was such a irresponsible and absolutely incorrect way to deal with a problem. If she thought Jacob was guilty of both murders, which clearly she did, I would think that she would try to get him help before saying 'well, there's nothing else I can do, but kill my son to stop him.' I did not like her decision at all, but it didn't hinder of how much I liked the rest of the book.

-- 08 Oct 2015, 20:57 --
quadbrokie45 wrote:I agree. It's refreshing to read and discuss with others. I tend to ramble on in my head when a book leaves you without a solid conclusion!
I love onlinebookclub for this reason! To be able to discuss books with others! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
quadbrookie

Post by quadbrookie »

I know! When everything happened with Hope, I couldn't believe it. He was guilty the whole time! I thought he didn't do it. Since he wasn't even in high school yet, they could be playing the "blame game." You all get in trouble if no one tells who did it!
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

The girl dieing and then what Laurie did was definitely shocking. It seemed like through the trials instead of being there for her son and helping him regardless of whether he killed or not, she snapped and lost her mind and decided her son just had to die. I'm still not sure how I feel about that.
quadbrookie

Post by quadbrookie »

She would have definitely been overwhelmed! Do you think she could have been afraid of her own son?

-- 10 Oct 2015, 21:44 --

She would have definitely been overwhelmed! Do you think she could have been afraid of her own son?
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

It's definitely possible but at the same time she was choosing to see the worst possible scenario in her son rather than fight for him. When others were choosing to see the good in him no matter how objective (father, lawyer, and whoever) she jumped to her own conclusions of he must be a murderer.

Now in the end whether Jacob killed the girl or not, my opinion as a mother of three is that you would have to have a serious meltdown or psychotic break to risk your own life to kill Jacob the way she did.
quadbrookie

Post by quadbrookie »

Instead of driving him all over the town trying to get him into another school she should have taken him to the psychiatrist! I thought Laurie would be all about getting him help regardless of what his dad said.

I agree with you, TrishaAnn92! I only want to focus on the good my child does but, if it were this, and someone could help with the mental problems, I would have them there!
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I totally agree, murder or not, you get accused of something brutal the whole family should partake in counceling. I'd do everything in my power to ensure mental wellbeing and safety not kill them.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I 100% agree with getting the whole family getting help, not just giving up and killing him!

Laurie probably was scared of Jacob by that point. Part of the problem I see is that she also didn't have the support of her husband through any of this. When Laurie told Andi of her doubts, that maybe Jacob was guilty, Andi dismissed it each time - not wanting to talk about it. I think that's part of the reason that she meant to kill both Jacob and herself because she also took off her seatbelt. I'm not saying that's right, but with no one there for her, she might have felt she had no other choice. From the beginning, Laurie didn't seem like a strong person.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I have to agree with her not being strong. Andy seemed to have a blanket over his head, no matter how many times Laurie reached our to him he chose to over look her feelings and in parts of the story were doubt wiggled into his mind he was still unable to emphasize with his wife. I couldn't help wondering though where their family was. I know there was mention of Laurie's mom, if she would have just reached out maybe the story could have had a different outcome. But then again Laurie had already tried and convicted Jacob in her mind so she may still have chosen to kill him.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Good point about where was Laurie's family through all of this. They might have listened and supported her, at least more than her husband did. But, I guess we'll never really know...
Heidi

TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

No, I suppose not.

Return to “"Defending Jacob" by William Landay”