Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Guilty or Not guilty?

Post by Christinar81 »

*****SPOILER ALERT******

If Leonard Patz hadn't "confessed" to the murder in his "suicide" note, would Jacob had been found guilty or not guilty?

This was very difficult for me to answer. For most of the book I flip-flopped back and forth between whether I thought he was guilty or not. There was substantial circumstantial evidence like the blood on his hand, the bloody fingerprint on Ben's jacket and the anonymous story on the violent erotic website. Even with all that I couldn't say I thought he was guilty without a doubt. I questioned that if he murdered Ben wouldn't there be some sign that he was in a fight. While they said Jacob and Ben were about the same size they also stated the Ben was very athletic. I felt like Ben have fought back or at least struggled a little bit. If Jacob had done it he should have shown some sign of being in a struggle. What are your thoughts on this?
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Guilty of course. 8)

I think that he would have been found guilty without the "confession". I wasn't sure till the end whether he was guilty. After the second girl died, I was sure of his guilt. I think Ben was too surprised to fight back.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html

Post by Christinar81 »

Same here. Once I finished the book and the girl died I felt sure he was guilty. It was too much of a coincidence that he was around 2 deaths and was innocent. But during the trial for Ben's murder the defense attorney was doing a pretty good job of creating doubt. I'm not sure if the jury would have found him guilty or not at that point.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I'm really not sure. Like you, I also think there would have at least been some slight sign of a struggle. It's hard for me to believe that Jacob could have cleaned himself up, except for the small amount of blood on his hand, and just gone straight to school without being late or distressed or anything. But Andy's opinion that they were probably going to lose the trial carries a lot of weight.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I thought Jacob was guilty all along and that Leonard Patz was used in the plot as a red herring. I agree with Ashley_claire that it was strange that Jacob was able to clean himself up and then gone straight to school without seeming distressed. Still, I think that was done in the story to make the reader has some doubt if he was guilty. For me, there was just something off about him.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
lmmallia
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmmallia.html
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by lmmallia »

I thought Jacob was guilty once Leonard Patz was found dead. I agree it did seem unusual that he was cleaned up by the time he got to school. According to his friends he didn't act any differently either but I think the fact that he had cleaned up after himself and he acted normal was the author's way of letting Jacob's true personality peek out. I think the jury would have convicted him because of the fingerprint.
Latest Review: "Stone of Destiny" by Mary L. Ball
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Immalia -+- Good point about the fingerprint. I still think the jury might not have convicted him. How did Casey Anthony get off with more evidence against her in the death of her daughter?
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

I went back and forth about guilty or not guilty the whole book. After Paz was found dead and Andy learns of Father O'Leary's protection stunt I had an odd thought that maybe the girl's death was a set up from Andy's father. However the story never brought back the O'Leary character so I had to rule that idea out and eventually settled on the idea that he was indeed guilty.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

You bring up some great points about Jacob being guilty vs. him being found guilty by a jury. I think the defense attorney really did make me doubt the kid's guilt. By the end of the book, though, I was ready to put that kid in jail.
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

I continued with this same issue throughout the book. It would seem as if he would be covered in blood splatter, leaves, his appearance would be disheveled; since Ben was larger and agiler. I thought Ben could have even overpowered Jacob because your natural warrior gene uses all your strength combined with adrenaline, so you live. This triggered another thought the MAOA Knockout would have given Jacob all force and agility he would need.
Crossroad Readers
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crossroad-readers.html
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga

Post by Crossroad Readers »

It's hard for me to say but I thought that he was guilty. I would hope the jury would have convicted him.
Latest Review: "Love for One" by Stacey Haga
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

I thought not guilty. That was until the girl's body was finally found, washed up and strangled, that Jacob spent all his time with on vacation! I felt like I had been missed signs that everyone else must have gotten.

-- 28 Sep 2015, 21:25 --
bookowlie wrote:Immalia -+- Good point about the fingerprint. I still think the jury might not have convicted him. How did Casey Anthony get off with more evidence against her in the death of her daughter?
I would like to know that myself! It almost seemed like they tried to blame her father. In a weird twist, they were attempting to blame Jacob's dad and his grandfather by using the hereditary angle.
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

I did law but never past university study. Too many cases decided on flimsy evidence either way just from my studies.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

I think the jury would have found him not guilty. There was not enough evidence and it was very circumstantial.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I absolutely think he is guilty.

With him hurting children when he was younger and looking at The Cutting Room website, he clearly was a messed-up kid. Violence just didn't seem to phase him at all. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me at all that he wasn't shaken up after killing Ben and Hope because of the two reasons above. He was a psychopath, in my opinion, and needed serious help.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “"Defending Jacob" by William Landay”