Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of Defending Jacob

Post by Heidi M Simone »

zeldas_lullaby wrote::-) Yeah... don't quote me on the 1% thing, but I'm fairly certain that that's actually what it is. Most of them are the mean people we know at work, and that sort of thing!! :o
Yeah...I know exactly what you mean about the mean people we know at work. That's a good point!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
quadbrookie
Favorite Author: More than one
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quadbrookie.html
Latest Review: "Darker" by Michael Stephenson
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by quadbrookie »

You can't forget about those who hate jury duty and just want to get it over with!
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Jury duty... interesting topic. With my "out there" mind, I'd probably be the holdout vote who would drive the other eleven poor citizens insane.
quadbrookie

Post by quadbrookie »

I know I would be the same way... I would ask questions on every piece evidence entered and the credibility of each person who testified!
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

quadbrokie45 wrote:You can't forget about those who hate jury duty and just want to get it over with!
Good point! I didn't even think about that!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

I don't mean to be Debbie Downer but this book just doesn't interest me. Maybe next months will grab my attention. Thank to those who wrote their opinions. It gave me enough info to see that this one isn't my cup of tea.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
quadbrookie

Post by quadbrookie »

Good luck for your next book!
rkrobart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0700">When Jesus Wept</a>
Currently Reading: C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 423
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rkrobart.html
Latest Review: "Remembering Me" by Michael J Giannini

Post by rkrobart »

Landay has created a fascinating drama that intricately portrays the lives of just a few main characters. I think the small number of people involved helped to keep this narrative tight and engaging. The constant switch between the speaker's voice and the Grand Jury transcript was a bit disconcerting initially, but as the climax approached, I not only understood but also appreciated this switch as a finely-tuned plot device. I gave the book fewer stars because I found the vulgarity, and especially the use of Christ's name, to be offensive. There were several places in which the story sunk to the gutter with sexual innuendo that seemed to be gratuitous. With such a great plot, amazingly well-rounded characters, and a fulfilling resolution, the book could have been even better without the foul additions.
Latest Review: "Remembering Me" by Michael J Giannini
MissBookyWorm
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-missbookyworm.html

Post by MissBookyWorm »

This was a book I read a few years ago, because it kept showing up on the bestsellers list on Amazon. As I started to read it, I definitely wasn't sure if it was a book I would be able to push through and finish. Landay tackled an ongoing controversy in the courtroom, whether or not there is such a thing as the "murder gene." With his experience as a prosecutor, Landay was able to captivate me through his attention to details with how things are handled in a court case. I eventually found myself not being able to put the book down because I HAD TO KNOW what was going to happen and what the outcome of Jacob's trial would be.
quadbrookie

Post by quadbrookie »

Yes, and in the end we were all left to our own conclusions about what happened, don't you agree?
Jausten11
Favorite Book: sun also rises
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jausten11.html

Post by Jausten11 »

I've not finished the book yet. I have had points where I wanted to add words for the writer in order for me to understand the wordage better, which is distracting from the reading. So far I do like the story though.
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

Sounds good. Hope I can read it soon
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
sahmoun2778
Favorite Author: Dana Stabenow
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahmoun2778.html
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
Reading Device: 1400698987
fav_author_id: 10781

Post by sahmoun2778 »

I'm behind the eight ball in getting to this one. I've just finished part one and I'm enjoying it, but also finding the idea of a teenage murderer a little disturbing. My son is the same age as these boys and I hate to think he might be capable of that kind of violence. Also, the murder in this case, three knife wounds lined up in a perfect line, seems like something that would have been thought out in advance. I know for certain my 15 year doesn't put that kind of thought into anything. I guess I expected something more frenzied from a teenager.

-- 02 Dec 2015, 12:16 --

I'm about halfway through part 2 and I'm getting bored. Does the story get better if I keep going?
Latest Review: "Consent to Unleash" by Kevin Allen
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

sahmoun2778 wrote:I'm behind the eight ball in getting to this one. I've just finished part one and I'm enjoying it, but also finding the idea of a teenage murderer a little disturbing. My son is the same age as these boys and I hate to think he might be capable of that kind of violence. Also, the murder in this case, three knife wounds lined up in a perfect line, seems like something that would have been thought out in advance. I know for certain my 15 year doesn't put that kind of thought into anything. I guess I expected something more frenzied from a teenager.

-- 02 Dec 2015, 12:16 --

I'm about halfway through part 2 and I'm getting bored. Does the story get better if I keep going?
Good point about the three knife wounds lined up in a perfect line. I love these book discussions because it brings out details and interesting viewpoints. For me, a murderer of any age is disturbing, particularly the ones that don't seem the type.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
L-herron
Currently Reading: The Girl She Used to Be
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by L-herron »

I read this book not too long ago and I loved it!! It kept me guessing the whole book. It sent me through a roller-coaster of emotions from feeling sorry for him to hating him. The ending was not at all what I suspected, and I love that. I hate when I can guess what is going to happen. The author really made the book real, I felt like I was right there with the family, feeling what they felt. The only think I can't stop thinking about is, what was up with the cat they heard? I kept thinking they were going to find it mutilated or something, but it never said.

Return to “"Defending Jacob" by William Landay”