Member of the Month Nomination: Redlegs

A forum to announce and congratulate the Member of the Month (MOTM).
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Member of the Month Nomination: Redlegs

Post by Ryan »

This month I’d like you all to perform a ceremonious aria for Redlegs, who will be snatching the laurel from the lofty head of last month’s victor, flashing along the way those carmine appendages with heraldic grace. Few members truly utilize the literary purpose of the forum like Redlegs, who in his passionate avidity has glided through the Oxford Bodleian and has a wealth of literary insight to prove it. Like his predecessors, Redlegs comes from a strong heritage of forum contributors, friendly avatars and established renown, gracing the forum since 2012 with his warmth and passion for the forum and its multi-faceted scholarly environment. Thus Redlegs is this month’s winner and I’d like to say from everyone here that we’re happy to have you with us! Just please stop skating down the aisles, yes? Otherwise we will be forced to remove those Hermean articles.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Congratulations @"Redlegs" :) :congratualtions-smiley: :banana-guitar:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Congratulations! :happy-wavemulticolor:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

WOO HOOO!!!!! (and) HOOOOooOOOoooRAY for Redlegs!

A very well deserved honor. Redlegs has been a consistently active poster whose valuable insights over the last four years have contributed in no small measure to the quality of this website. Redlegs is the type of poster who makes the OBC a pleasure to visit and has reinforced what is fast becoming a mantra for me = "I've never met an Aussie I didn't like."

Congratulations Redlegs!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Congratulations!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Congratulations!!! :D
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Congratulations Redlegs! Take some time to bask in your admiration society here. :) :tiphat:

Oh, one more thing...sign the MOTM petition requesting a free cruise. :lol: :lol:
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
abreul

Post by abreul »

Congratulations!!! ?
DATo

Post by DATo »

Where Oh where is Redlegs? *Looking all around. Checks behind the sofa and the drapes*

I propose that we organize a posse to look for him. He may have fallen down a well. [{8- o ... [{:- (
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

That Narnia tour is booked and waiting for Redlegs to appear. The wolf-drawn carriage is waiting just nearby to whisk him away to that fantastical vacation ... if only he'd show up! :(
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

Never fear, Redlegs is here. :D

A weekend on which I was otherwise occupied, without time to peruse the fascinating pages of the OBC, and now a new week has arrived with a wonderful surprise and humbling honour awaiting for me.

Thank you for the wonderfully articulate and inspiring nomination, and thank you to all those who have offered their hearty congratulations.

I shall endeavour to live up to the honour while basking in the glory of being associated with so many other esteemed contributors to these pages.

I look forward to posting again, if only I can ever finish Middlemarch - I'm loving it, but it does go on so. :techie-studyingbrown:

Note that my carmine appendages are working hard, even if a little stiff from a two and a half hour walk in the chill of an Adelaide winter's morning yesterday. It is cold and wet today, just ideal for making some inroads into the pile of books that awaits my attention.

Again, thanks to all for this wonderful acknowledgement.

-- 03 Jul 2016, 21:04 --
DATo wrote:WOO HOOO!!!!! (and) HOOOOooOOOoooRAY for Redlegs!

A very well deserved honor. Redlegs has been a consistently active poster whose valuable insights over the last four years have contributed in no small measure to the quality of this website. Redlegs is the type of poster who makes the OBC a pleasure to visit and has reinforced what is fast becoming a mantra for me = "I've never met an Aussie I didn't like."

Congratulations Redlegs!
You are too kind, dear sir. Now that I am aware that such an honour as MOTM actually exists (!) and I have looked at some of the previous posts, I see that you too are a member of this esteemed club, which is clearly of no surprise to me. I always look forward to your entertaining "tell it like it is" posts and your insightful commentary. And yes, most of us Aussies are pretty likeable. :D
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
DATo

Post by DATo »

HOSANNA IN THE HIGHEST!!! HE HAS RISEN !!!!

Welcome to your Member Of The Month party Redlegs! We were in the process of organizing a posse to look for you. We've posted your avatar on billboards and milk cartons too.

*BTW* The last paragraph of Middlemarch is one of the most beautiful passages ever written in my estimation. I'm sure you are going to like it. I'm also sure that by now you will agree that Dorothea's sister needs a good spanking.
― Steven Wright
Redlegs
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-redlegs.html

Post by Redlegs »

DATo wrote:HOSANNA IN THE HIGHEST!!! HE HAS RISEN !!!!

Welcome to your Member Of The Month party Redlegs! We were in the process of organizing a posse to look for you. We've posted your avatar on billboards and milk cartons too.

*BTW* The last paragraph of Middlemarch is one of the most beautiful passages ever written in my estimation. I'm sure you are going to like it. I'm also sure that by now you will agree that Dorothea's sister needs a good spanking.
Oh, yes, I am enjoying the party. Balloons, streamers, cake and red wine at my house today. Those milk cartons may stay on the shelves until the contents turn to yoghurt, I suspect.

As to Middlemarch, there are a few characters that need a shakeup, but are you volunteering to be the spanker for Dodo's sister Celia? I look forward to reaching that final paragraph - I am at 72% so far. Eliot sure is a fan of the long sentence - some take up a whole page! :shock: Are you reading anything good right now?
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

The Great Gatsby, F Scott Fitzgerald
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Congratulations Redlegs, you are a very deserving MOTM. I always enjoy your posts, and to add the icing on the cake you're an Aussie!!! :flags-australia: :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
DATo

Post by DATo »

Gannon wrote:Congratulations Redlegs, you are a very deserving MOTM. I always enjoy your posts, and to add the icing on the cake you're an Aussie!!! :flags-australia: :happy-cheerleaderkid:
Yeah! What is it about you Aussies, Gannon? Your all like .... like .... Miss Congeniality or something. Great people! I mean that sincerely. And just think ... you're all descended from criminals *LOL* Darwin would have a headache over that one.

Actually, if Darwin is to be believed, it presents us with the sobering realization that we are ALL descended from the most murderous, thieving, rapacious humanoids who ever lived. If we hadn't been we wouldn't be here. Aussie ancestors from the Stone Age were not nearly as brutal. The worst thing they ever did was perform practical jokes on their fellow man.

But don't let that fool ya! - Aussies are tough, TOUGH people. Below is a letter from an Aussie soldier in boot camp.

Dear Mum & Dad,

I am well. Hope youse are too. Tell me big brothers Doug and Phil that the Army is better than workin' on the farm - tell them to get in bloody quick smart before the jobs are all gone! I wuz a bit slow in settling down at first, because ya don't hafta get outta bed until 6am. But I like sleeping in now, cuz all ya gotta do before brekky is make ya bed and shine ya boots and clean ya uniform. No bloody cows to milk, no calves to feed, no feed to stack - nothin'!! Ya haz gotta shower though, but its not so bad, coz there's lotsa hot water and even a light to see what ya doing!

At brekky ya get cereal, fruit and eggs but there's no kangaroo steaks or possum stew like wot Mum makes. You don't get fed again until noon and by that time all the city boys are buggered because we've been on a 'route march' - geez its only just like walking to the windmill in the back paddock!!

This one will kill me brothers Doug and Phil with laughter. I keep getting medals for shootin' - dunno why. The bullseye is as big as a bloody possum's bum and it don't move and it's not firing back at ya like the Johnsons did when our big scrubber bull got into their prize cows before the Ekka last year! All ya gotta do is make yourself comfortable and hit the target - it's a piece of piss!! You don't even load your own cartridges they comes in little boxes and ya don't have to steady yourself against the rollbar of the 'roo shooting truck when you reload!

Sometimes ya gotta wrestle with the city boys and I gotta be real careful coz they break easy - it's not like fighting with Doug and Phil and Jack and Boori and Steve and Muzza all at once like we do at home after the muster. Turns out I'm not a bad boxer either and it looks like I'm the best the platoon's got, and I've only been beaten by this one bloke from the Engineers - he's 6 foot 5 and 15 stone and three pick handles across the shoulders and as ya know I'm only 5 foot 7 and eight stone wringin' wet, but I fought him till the other blokes carried me off to the boozer.

I can't complain about the Army - tell the boys to get in quick before word gets around how bloody good it is.

Your loving daughter,

Sheila
― Steven Wright

Return to “Member of the Month”