Tense matching in complex sentences

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Tense matching in complex sentences

Post by Scott »

Are both of the following grammatically correct or only one:

1-- I especially enjoyed the twists and turns the plot takes as each discovery leads to new developments.

2-- I especially enjoyed the twists and turns the plot took as each discovery led to new developments.

In other words, does the tense of the word takes/took have to match the tense of the word enjoyed in the above sentence structure?

I think we can all agree the tense of leads/led has to match takes/took in the above sentence, but I'm not sure if they need to match enjoyed. I feel as if a person (or any noun) can have previously enjoyed (or verbed) something that is still presently ongoing. But I am not sure if that violates any grammar rules regarding matching tenses. What do you think?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I think both are correct. Tense shifting is a complicated issue that I have often seen mischaracterized. I am not an expert, but I think the following:

Because we are reviewing books, we generally use past tense to describe our experience of the book:
I especially enjoyed the twists and turns.

That enjoyment happened in the past and does not need to match the tense selected by the reviewer to describe the plot action. The plot action can be described in past or present tense, and should be consistent, but does not have to match the reviewer's past tense experience of the book. I have been incorrectly dinged by editors in my reviews for not matching tenses that refer to different experiences happening at different times.

Tense can shift within a sentence unless the references are to the same experience in time.

It would not be correct to say either of the following, because enjoyed (past) does not match like (present).

Incorrect:
I especially enjoyed the twists and turns the plot took, and I like how each discovery leads to new developments.
OR
I especially enjoyed the twists and turns the plot took, and I like how each discovery led to new developments.

Correct:
I especially enjoyed the twists and turns the plot took, and I liked how each discovery leads to new developments.

I especially enjoyed the twists and turns the plot took, and I liked how each discovery led to new developments.

I believe enjoyed and liked need to match each other, but they don't need to match leads or led.

I do not have a source that describes this. Reviewing books creates a tense-shifting issue that is unique and not often discussed cogently. If I find a good source, I will provide.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Scott wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 08:57 Are both of the following grammatically correct or only one:

1-- I especially enjoyed the twists and turns the plot takes as each discovery leads to new developments.

2-- I especially enjoyed the twists and turns the plot took as each discovery led to new developments.

In other words, does the tense of the word takes/took have to match the tense of the word enjoyed in the above sentence structure?

I think we can all agree the tense of leads/led has to match takes/took in the above sentence, but I'm not sure if they need to match enjoyed. I feel as if a person (or any noun) can have previously enjoyed (or verbed) something that is still presently ongoing. But I am not sure if that violates any grammar rules regarding matching tenses. What do you think?
The rule is that the tense should shift back in reported speech, after a verb of saying, thinking, and so on. However, an exception can be made if the statement is still true in the present, especially in informal writing. Since it is still true that the plot is taking twists and turns, I think both are correct.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Thank you for your help @Eva Darrington and @ButterscotchCherrie! :D

What about the following sentence:

"An aspect of the novel that I really enjoyed is that it makes the readers think."

Do you think that is correct?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Yes. The descriptions relate to different people - your action (that you enjoyed the book) and the readers' actions (that it makes the readers think). If you were referring to the same person or group, then I think the tense in the second part of the sentence needs to match the first part.

Example: "An aspect of the novel that I really enjoyed is that it made me think.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “International Grammar”