Use of the word "that"

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Maya_Nyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maya-nyssa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Use of the word "that"

Post by Maya_Nyssa »

I omitted the word "that" from this phrase because I felt it unnecessary:

"when he informed them they abducted the wrong person."

What is the explanation for why this phrase is correct?

"when he informed them that they abducted the wrong person."
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I can't comment with certainty, because I don't have the full sentence. But the reason you would need the word that is as follows: In your example, "when he informed them they abducted the wrong person," it could be interpreted to mean "when he informed them, they abducted the wrong person." In other words, at the time when he informed them, that was when they abducted the wrong person. What you really mean is "when he informed them that they abducted the wrong person." Inserting that clears up any misunderstanding.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Maya_Nyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maya-nyssa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Maya_Nyssa »

Eva Darrington wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 20:24 I can't comment with certainty, because I don't have the full sentence. But the reason you would need the word that is as follows: In your example, "when he informed them they abducted the wrong person," it could be interpreted to mean "when he informed them, they abducted the wrong person." In other words, at the time when he informed them, that was when they abducted the wrong person. What you really mean is "when he informed them that they abducted the wrong person." Inserting that clears up any misunderstanding.
That makes sense. Thank you!
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Eva Darrington wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 20:24 I can't comment with certainty, because I don't have the full sentence. But the reason you would need the word that is as follows: In your example, "when he informed them they abducted the wrong person," it could be interpreted to mean "when he informed them, they abducted the wrong person." In other words, at the time when he informed them, that was when they abducted the wrong person. What you really mean is "when he informed them that they abducted the wrong person." Inserting that clears up any misunderstanding.
Well said! :tiphat:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “International Grammar”