Use of "e.g."

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Use of "e.g."

Post by Jagiine »

I'm sorry if this is already a topic; the search wouldn't include the actual topic of my question (e.g.) because of its commonality.

I just want to know what the consensus regarding the use of "e.g." is. Is it acceptable to use it in our official posts?
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Hello. The APA style allows the use of e.g., but only within parentheses. The same rule goes for the following: i.e., etc., and so forth.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

ayoomisope wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 09:27 Hello. The APA style allows the use of e.g., but only within parentheses. The same rule goes for the following: i.e., etc., and so forth.
Great, thanks! I used each of the above many times when writing papers and whatnot in school, but my friend wasn't sure what the opinion was on this website and edited it out of some of my posts. I am glad to know that I can go forward using them!

Return to “International Grammar”