Comma's before 'but'?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Comma's before 'but'?

Post by Brenda Creech »

I like the idea of a style sheet to use because I always second guess myself over commas!
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

ELC wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 13:56 SO I just got my first review score and all my errors are - there should be a comma before 'but'.
Do American's use a comma before 'but' all the time, because that probably means i'm going to fail the grammar section every time. It's not something I would ever do having been taught that it's incorrect my entire life...Also does that not cause problems when reviewing work from authors in Ireland or the U.K?
If the but is put after a dependent clause, there's no need to include a comma. However, if appears after an independent clause, then it needs a comma.

Return to “International Grammar”