Comma's before 'but'?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

ELC
Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elc.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Comma's before 'but'?

Post by ELC »

SO I just got my first review score and all my errors are - there should be a comma before 'but'.
Do American's use a comma before 'but' all the time, because that probably means i'm going to fail the grammar section every time. It's not something I would ever do having been taught that it's incorrect my entire life...Also does that not cause problems when reviewing work from authors in Ireland or the U.K?
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

The basic rule in American English is to use a comma before but when the but precedes an independent clause. Otherwise, a comma is not needed. I did a quick check and understand your confusion. It would be helpful is we had a stylesheet for everyone to use. Good luck.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

ELC wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 13:56 SO I just got my first review score and all my errors are - there should be a comma before 'but'.
Do American's use a comma before 'but' all the time, because that probably means i'm going to fail the grammar section every time. It's not something I would ever do having been taught that it's incorrect my entire life...Also does that not cause problems when reviewing work from authors in Ireland or the U.K?
A comma is needed if the conjunction connects two independent clauses. If it connects a dependent thought with an independent clause, then no comma should be used.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Do you have a style guide that you use in the UK? If so, can you reference that? If you provide proof to the editor that this is in a common style guide in your country, they should reverse their decision.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

ELC wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 13:56 SO I just got my first review score and all my errors are - there should be a comma before 'but'.
If you need some support for the not using a comma before but in British English, here is a note from the Cambridge Dictionary: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/gra ... njunctions.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I am an American, but I also brought this issue up recently. I noticed that UK authors and reviewers don't use a comma before "but" or in other instances where Americans commonly use a comma. Hopefully, Scott will see your post.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
ELC
Currently Reading: The Tattooist of Auschwitz
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elc.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by ELC »

Thanks for the replies everyone. It was just a bit of a shock to see as comments from professional editors, who imo should at least be aware of grammatical differences outside the USA. I hope this isn't the case with spelling too. Anyway, you live and you learn. With the ability to only ask 3 reviews for rechecks there isn't much point in trying, so I guess I just have to accept the disastrous scores and spend some weekend looking up an American style guide before bothering to write another. Happy New Year guys!
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

The biggest problem with the recheck request process is you are dealing with the opinion of the original editor who scored your review. Some people don't understand that what's consider incorrect grammar in the US is correct in other countries. This issue came up a few years ago when people were getting marked off for the British spelling of certain words. Some editors weren't aware of a different spelling for less commonly used words. Another issue I've encountered is words that have a different usage in the UK. While an editor might mark the word usage as incorrect, it's actually correctly used within UK writing.
Last edited by bookowlie on 27 Dec 2018, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have an additional note. If you request a recheck and your score is changed, you get your recheck back. That was an issue for a while where that wasn't happening, but Scott has fixed it now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

ELC wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 08:57 Thanks for the replies everyone. It was just a bit of a shock to see as comments from professional editors, who imo should at least be aware of grammatical differences outside the USA. I hope this isn't the case with spelling too. Anyway, you live and you learn. With the ability to only ask 3 reviews for rechecks there isn't much point in trying, so I guess I just have to accept the disastrous scores and spend some weekend looking up an American style guide before bothering to write another. Happy New Year guys!
I understand how you feel. However, just as what @kandscreeley said below, you should get your recheck back if your request is approved. For example, if you lodged a total of three recheck requests and two out of the three had been approved, you should be able to make two more rechecks if needed in the future.
kandscreeley wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 11:01 I have an additional note. If you request a recheck and your score is changed, you get your recheck back. That was an issue for a while where that wasn't happening, but Scott has fixed it now.
I agree that you should not waste your three recheck allocations. Thus, I recommend the following:

1. Take a closer look at your review's "Editor Scorecard." Was the observation specified under

a. the "Spelling and Grammar" section

or

b. the "Editor's Subjective Rating" portion?

2. If it was mentioned in item 1b, it is not worth lodging the recheck request. Because that portion is "subjective," the editor has the prerogative or choice to comment on your non-use of the comma.

3. If it was marked as an error in item 1a, then the recheck request is a good feature that you could take advantage of.

4. You should treat every recheck request you make seriously if it really matters to you.

a. Do thorough research. You've made a good decision when you've created this post to gather ideas. @jgraney8's response below is a good reference to quote and support you in your request:
jgraney8 wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 17:54 If you need some support for the not using a comma before but in British English, here is a note from the Cambridge Dictionary: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/gra ... njunctions.
(Note: If you've got other "errors" identified in your scorecard, do some research on them, too. You need to be able to convince yourself first before you could convince your review's editor.)

b. Treat your request like an important writing project. If you'd just write "I am right. I think you are wrong." with no further explanation or justification, there is a great chance that your request won't get approved at all. Try to write a request that is:
-polite (and not insulting or aggressive);
-proper (with widely accepted spelling and grammar);
-clear (with your main request and supporting evidence clearly identified); and,
-convincing (by using your persuasive writing techniques).

I have lodged two recheck requests for my reviews in the past as well, and both of them had been eventually approved. Thus, there is hope if you are right and really work for your goal. All the best! Happy New Year, too!
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Alegabriela
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alegabriela »

I don't know it there's a rule for it but i personally don't put a comma before but.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

If you still need help, the acronym "FANBOYS" is often used to remember the coordinating conjunctions.

For
And
Nor
But
Or
Yet
So

People seem to struggle the most with using and, but and so correctly. If you can replace the word with a period, and both sections are complete sentences, put the comma!
clancy8
Currently Reading: Toward Happier Choices
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clancy8.html
Latest Review: A Loaf Of Bread by Rana Bitar

Post by clancy8 »

Don't really know if there's a rule for using comma before or after a "but".
But i usually use it after a but.
Zora C Penter

Post by Zora C Penter »

clancy8 wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 15:26 Don't really know if there's a rule for using comma before or after a "but".
But i usually use it after a but.
You usually shouldn't use commas after "but" when you are writing. But, this is the exception! :P
Zora C Penter

Post by Zora C Penter »

I like to find out the nationality of the author before I start counting errors. I also only count the lack of commas if they are consistently using them. So, if there are 75% of the compound sentences with commas, I am going to count the 25% of them without a comma as errors.

Return to “International Grammar”