British English Question

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

British English Question

Post by kandscreeley »

Is it normal in England to exclude prepositions in certain phrases? In a book I'm reading, I've noticed many examples of this happening, but this seems to be the only "error." So, I'm wondering if this is typical in that area of the world. An example would be: stay that side instead of stay on that side. Thanks for your help!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

kandscreeley wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 09:21 Is it normal in England to exclude prepositions in certain phrases? In a book I'm reading, I've noticed many examples of this happening, but this seems to be the only "error." So, I'm wondering if this is typical in that area of the world. An example would be: stay that side instead of stay on that side. Thanks for your help!
I think it is normal. I am currently reading a review book by a British author and have read a few others in the past. I've noticed other things as well. For example - 1) the British don't use a comma before "but," they don't tend to use commas to separate phrases in sentences, etc. Once I know a book is written by a UK writer, I don't tend to notate those types of things as errors.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 10:55
kandscreeley wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 09:21 Is it normal in England to exclude prepositions in certain phrases? In a book I'm reading, I've noticed many examples of this happening, but this seems to be the only "error." So, I'm wondering if this is typical in that area of the world. An example would be: stay that side instead of stay on that side. Thanks for your help!
I think it is normal. I am currently reading a review book by a British author and have read a few others in the past. I've noticed other things as well. For example - 1) the British don't use a comma before "but," they don't tend to use commas to separate phrases in sentences, etc. Once I know a book is written by a UK writer, I don't tend to notate those types of things as errors.
There are some British spellings and punctuation that I'm used to. For example, I know that they use an apostrophe instead of quotation marks. This one I haven't really seen before. But, after what you said and the frequency it happens in the book, I'm thinking it's definitely NOT an error. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Kandscreeley - Your points are one reason why I am uncomfortable with the very detailed grammar rules that are sprouting up in the review process. I feel we are not completely familiar with the way overseas reviewers commonly write. As a result, we may think a sentence is poorly written when it's actually well written in the reviewer's native style.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

Return to “International Grammar”