Comma confusion

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Comma confusion

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I've been looking at multiple punctuation guides and am still a little confused about comma usage after the words then, and, or but when used at the beginning of a sentence. From my understanding, a comma would be sometimes used and sometimes not. I just can't differentiate between the two circumstances.

For example: Jade blushed and flipped back her hair. Then she made her way over to where Savi stood in front of the girls’ cabin assignments.

Should there be a comma after the word then? Why or why not?
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

After I posted this I realized that I probably should have posted it in the International Grammar forum. Sorry.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 19:40 I've been looking at multiple punctuation guides and am still a little confused about comma usage after the words then, and, or but when used at the beginning of a sentence. From my understanding, a comma would be sometimes used and sometimes not. I just can't differentiate between the two circumstances.

For example: Jade blushed and flipped back her hair. Then she made her way over to where Savi stood in front of the girls’ cabin assignments.

Should there be a comma after the word then? Why or why not?
Two issues: 1. Commas after introductory words, and 2. Commas with coordinating conjunctions.
Generally, you would not use a comma when using a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) to begin a sentence. "But I decided not to go." For most other introductory words, including "then," you would use a comma if used at the beginning of a sentence. "Then, we left the house." "Finally, it started to rain." So learning the coordinating conjunctions is good (FANBOYS is a helpful mnemonic.).

In the first sentence of your example, it is correct as written. You would not use a comma. Commas are used before coordinating conjunctions (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) when they connect two independent clauses (complete sentences). If the phrases were both independent clauses, you would use a comma before and: "Jade blushed, and she flipped back her hair." In your example "flipped back her hair" is not an independent clause. So no comma.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

@Eva Barrington

Thank you so much for your clarifying comment. Your explanation of the use of commas with introductory words was simple and easy to understand.
Generally, you would not use a comma when using a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) to begin a sentence. "But I decided not to go." For most other introductory words, including "then," you would use a comma if used at the beginning of a sentence.
I have not seen an explanation that was so simple and to the point. Do you have any guideline sources that can referenced if my non-use of a comma with FANBOYS at the beginning of a sentence were to be questioned?
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 06:52 @Eva Barrington

Thank you so much for your clarifying comment. Your explanation of the use of commas with introductory words was simple and easy to understand.
Generally, you would not use a comma when using a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so) to begin a sentence. "But I decided not to go." For most other introductory words, including "then," you would use a comma if used at the beginning of a sentence.
I have not seen an explanation that was so simple and to the point. Do you have any guideline sources that can referenced if my non-use of a comma with FANBOYS at the beginning of a sentence were to be questioned?
This is a good piece about coordinating conjunctions, in general. At the very end is the section that explains about using them at the beginning of a sentence. http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/coordin ... nction.htm
-Nayyirah Waheed
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Eva Darrington wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 10:40

This is a good piece about coordinating conjunctions, in general. At the very end is the section that explains about using them at the beginning of a sentence. http://www.chompchomp.com/terms/coordin ... nction.htm
Thank you
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 11:14

Thank you
Then is a troublesome word for me. However, if we look at use according to COCA (Corpus of Contemporary American English, https://corpus.byu.edu/coca/, then is rarely followed by a comma when it begins a sentence. The statistics show Then, [then with comma] was found 18147 times versus Then [then without a comma] was found 768699 times.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

jgraney8 wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 13:50
Tiny_Turtle wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 11:14
Thank you
Then is a troublesome word for me. However, if we look at use according to COCA (Corpus of Contemporary American English, https://corpus.byu.edu/coca/, then is rarely followed by a comma when it begins a sentence. The statistics show Then, [then with comma] was found 18147 times versus Then [then without a comma] was found 768699 times.
I will defer to jgraney8 on this. Clearly there is some gray area with this particular issue. To me, it is now clear as mud. Sorry Tiny Turtle. I will say that I think using the link jgraney8 provided would get you out of any editing discrepancy with "then."
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “International Grammar”