Lose and Loose

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Lose and Loose

Post by Amanda Deck »

These two are confused so often!
Today though, I read something that made me laugh because a case could legitimately be made for using the wrong word. Here it is: "Loosing his patience, Gant screamed..."
It clearly should read, "Losing his patience, Gant screamed..." but what if we take it differently? What if we understand it as Gant letting his patience loose and having nothing left but rage? In that case, he did loose it and it escaped. He loosed his patience and thereby, lost it.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

Amanda Deck wrote: 10 Oct 2018, 12:54 These two are confused so often!
Today though, I read something that made me laugh because a case could legitimately be made for using the wrong word. Here it is: "Loosing his patience, Gant screamed..."
It clearly should read, "Losing his patience, Gant screamed..." but what if we take it differently? What if we understand it as Gant letting his patience loose and having nothing left but rage? In that case, he did loose it and it escaped. He loosed his patience and thereby, lost it.
Yours is an interesting interpretation. If done purposefully, the writer would seem to have made a creative use of the word.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

When I see these being confused it really bothers me, but if it was purposefully done in the way you described then it isn't so bad!
I am tired of seeing on social media that people want to 'loose weight' though (although maybe there's a more creative way that I can read that one as well!)
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I think your first suggestion was right that it was misused, but interesting interpretation to give the author the benefit of the doubt!
Koser
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Koser »

When I know about two confused word lose and loose then I try to read every writer suggestion about these words.its good question for information.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Quite fun to interpret it that way actually. And it made me think of titles we know with these words that could be played around with:
Loose in Translation (which could also mean that the translation is really really bad!)
Footlose / Footlost (bad dancers with two left feet)
This would make an excellent high school English lesson!
hana2012
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by hana2012 »

Back then, I always mix them up (as well as 'lost') and I think I still do on certain occasions :)

Return to “International Grammar”