Punctuation in Review

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

RGraf
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rgraf.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Punctuation in Review

Post by RGraf »

Per the instructions on the review scorecard page, I was to post my question here. It was noted in a review I submitted that a comma belonged before "but" in this sentence: So much of it reminded me of the world today but with a more sinister edge to it.

I do not think that is right as the clause after "but" is not independent. It is not a complete sentence.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

RGraf wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 15:03 Per the instructions on the review scorecard page, I was to post my question here. It was noted in a review I submitted that a comma belonged before "but" in this sentence: So much of it reminded me of the world today but with a more sinister edge to it.

I do not think that is right as the clause after "but" is not independent. It is not a complete sentence.
You are correct. The comma rule calls for a comma before but when but is a coordinating conjunction. A coordinating conjunction joins two independent clauses. The two phrases after but do not include a verb nor a subject since both are prepositional phrases - with a more sinister edge and to it. For more about but with commas, which you don't seem to need, you can go to https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comma-before-but/.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

RGraf wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 15:03 Per the instructions on the review scorecard page, I was to post my question here. It was noted in a review I submitted that a comma belonged before "but" in this sentence: So much of it reminded me of the world today but with a more sinister edge to it.

You have the option to appeal that via your RT page.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Melekwe Anthony
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Melekwe Anthony »

It's up to you.
The use of punctuations general has always been up to the user and the voice he/she uses to write.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Melekwe Anthony wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 17:44 It's up to you.
The use of punctuations general has always been up to the user and the voice he/she uses to write.
I can see that you are new here. In reviews, editors do look at punctuation and mark off for punctuation that does not follow grammar guidelines. In the case above, it looks like the editor may have erred, but it's not up to the user to just use whatever punctuation that they want to...
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I think putting the comma before 'but' would emphasize the statement following it. Also, you started the sentence with 'So', maybe that's why the editor feels there should be a comma. If you read the sentence aloud, there is a pause before the 'but', and that also suggests the need for a comma. Technically, the rule is as you state, but I think that the editor has a point.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

jgraney8 wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 21:20

You are correct. The comma rule calls for a comma before but when but is a coordinating conjunction. A coordinating conjunction joins two independent clauses. The two phrases after but do not include a verb nor a subject since both are prepositional phrases - with a more sinister edge and to it. For more about but with commas, which you don't seem to need, you can go to https://www.grammarly.com/blog/comma-before-but/.
:ditto:

Return to “International Grammar”