Grammarly: How Does It Work?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Grammarly: How Does It Work?

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Could someone please explain to me how Grammarly works? I went to grammarly.com. It said, "Get a free grammar check and correct mistakes in your text with Grammarly’s online grammar checker."

I pasted my writings into the box and clicked the button. After it analyzed my work, I was prompted to create an account, which I did. Then it says I have to either install the Grammarly keyboard or upgrade to Premium. I never got the analysis.

All I want is for Grammarly to check my work. After everything I've read in multiple forum threads, I was under the impression that it was a simple, free process. Do I have to have the Grammarly keyboard, or am I doing something wrong? I thought it would be a copy/paste tool.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It's not a copy/paste tool. It's an add-on for your browser. It can also be "added" to Microsoft Word (which is how I use it). I run a spell/grammar check in Word, under the newly created tab called "Grammarly."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:39 It's not a copy/paste tool. It's an add-on for your browser. It can also be "added" to Microsoft Word (which is how I use it). I run a spell/grammar check in Word, under the newly created tab called "Grammarly."
Thank you. That helps. Next question: How do I add it on to Word? I don't see the option on the website.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:46
CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:39 It's not a copy/paste tool. It's an add-on for your browser. It can also be "added" to Microsoft Word (which is how I use it). I run a spell/grammar check in Word, under the newly created tab called "Grammarly."
Thank you. That helps. Next question: How do I add it on to Word? I don't see the option on the website.
There should be a download button. It's been a long time since I've done it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I actually use the Grammarly online copy/paste version. I didn't feel like adding it to my MSWord. Go here: https://app.grammarly.com/
Then underneath where it says "add to windows...blah blah blah..." there should be a button that says 'new'. Click on that, it will open a page where you can copy/paste your stuff.
I hope it works for you :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 15:45 I actually use the Grammarly online copy/paste version. I didn't feel like adding it to my MSWord. Go here: https://app.grammarly.com/
Then underneath where it says "add to windows...blah blah blah..." there should be a button that says 'new'. Click on that, it will open a page where you can copy/paste your stuff.
I also use the online app. I have had a free account for years. I don't have MSWord, so I can't add any suggestions.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Here's how I got the Grammarly free version. I went to their webpage, found the "download" button, and downloaded the app. Now, all that I type online is checked by Grammarly, including comments on social media, emails, and everything I post on the OBC forums.

It was no sweat. But that was over a year ago; I have no idea if things have changed with them. I do hope you are able to get the free version soon. It helps a lot, though you also need to mull over the suggested corrections. Not all of them are appropriate. Free Grammarly also does not flag sentence fragments, run-on sentences, and other errors. Nevertheless, I don't suggest paying for the premium version.
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Braunsucre »

Very helpful posts, I knew nothing about such an app as this, would check it out. Thanks.
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by ems2 »

I just bought Grammarly and it doesn't correct all of the mistakes. It uses all the rules that I grew up learning but doesn't exist today There goes $135.00
As to how it works if you want it to go all over the internet, Check the google button when signing up. Then it follows you wherever you go. It appears as a green or red circular
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Bianka Walter wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 15:45 I actually use the Grammarly online copy/paste version. I didn't feel like adding it to my MSWord. Go here: https://app.grammarly.com/
When I got to the site, there wasn't a "new" button. It was just the same as before. An option to purchase Premium. I got to looking around in the browser settings and saw that the site was set for mobile display. I switched to desktop display and there was the button. I clicked on it and got to the place where I can copy/paste. Only time will tell if it will actually be helpful. Thanks 💕
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

jgraney8 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 17:40
I also use the online app. I have had a free account for years. I don't have MSWord, so I can't add any suggestions.
Has it helped with writing better reviews? Has your score improved by using it?
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Miriam Molina wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 21:22 Here's how I got the Grammarly free version. I went to their webpage, found the "download" button, and downloaded the app. Now, all that I type online is checked by Grammarly, including comments on social media, emails, and everything I post on the OBC forums.

It was no sweat. But that was over a year ago; I have no idea if things have changed with them. I do hope you are able to get the free version soon. It helps a lot, though you also need to mull over the suggested corrections. Not all of them are appropriate. Free Grammarly also does not flag sentence fragments, run-on sentences, and other errors. Nevertheless, I don't suggest paying for the premium version.
I'm wondering if it will be of much use for me. So far the only errors it seems to find are only displayed on the premium version.
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Braunsucre wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 09:27 Very helpful posts, I knew nothing about such an app as this, would check it out. Thanks.
It seems that some people like it and some don't. If you decide to use it, please come back and let us know what you think of it. 💕
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

ems2 wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 12:41 I just bought Grammarly and it doesn't correct all of the mistakes. It uses all the rules that I grew up learning but doesn't exist today There goes $135.00
As to how it works if you want it to go all over the internet, Check the google button when signing up. Then it follows you wherever you go. It appears as a green or red circular
Wow. That's alot of money for something that uses old rules. Thank you for your tips. 💕
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk

Post by Manang Muyang »

I find my free Grammarly useful when I misspell words, miss capitalizations, and misname famous people or places. Like any other computer app, however, it won't catch all errors and may even suggest improper corrections. A user should still learn the grammar rules and take the Grammarly suggestions with a grain of salt. (For instance, since Grammarly uses US English, it will flag British spellings as errors.)

Return to “International Grammar”