Grammarly: How Does It Work?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Grammarly: How Does It Work?

Post by jgraney8 »

If you are not happy with Grammarly, you might check out Ginger at https://www.gingersoftware.com/. I have used it and found it pretty similar to Grammarly.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Fatima_Palacios wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 17:47
inaramid wrote: 10 Sep 2018, 23:59 I'd just like to add (if it hasn't been mentioned yet) that you can actually change the language preference in Grammarly. Just go to your Profile and select whether you write in American English, British English etc.
I wasn't aware of this, I'll try it ^^ thanks
I didn't notice that either. Thanks. 💕
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

jgraney8 wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 22:52 If you are not happy with Grammarly, you might check out Ginger at https://www.gingersoftware.com/. I have used it and found it pretty similar to Grammarly.
Thank you. I'll check it out. I'm not liking Grammarly. 💕
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

It definitely doesn't correct all the misuse of commas. That is my main problem with my reviewer score. Seems that when I take grammarly suggestions I do worse than before. Maybe it is because I'm using the free version? I wish there was one that would help me as I'm not purposely being lazy and not trying to do fast reviews. Just the correct use of commas are my downfall. I'm hoping in the future I will find a better editing site.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

I am a blog writer and I use Grammarly. It's a great app. You can get a free app on your iPad as well add it to windows. It's helpful. Just now when I typed (Its) automatically added an apostrophe. Sometimes when you are typing you knew that it requires a comma, an apostrophe but at the moment you decide that you will fix it later but you forget or get busy somewhere else.
I agree that one must know proper grammar rules. But little help is not bad.
You don't necessarily need to get a premium. Free is good.
I won't say use it in your text messages or comments necessarily but in articles, blogs, a dissertation which exceeds 50,000 words Grammarly is really helpful.

Best Regards 💐💐
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

sszb wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 01:11 I am a blog writer and I use Grammarly. It's a great app. You can get a free app on your iPad as well add it to windows. It's helpful. Just now when I typed (Its) automatically added an apostrophe. Sometimes when you are typing you knew that it requires a comma, an apostrophe but at the moment you decide that you will fix it later but you forget or get busy somewhere else.
I agree that one must know proper grammar rules. But little help is not bad.
You don't necessarily need to get a premium. Free is good.
I won't say use it in your text messages or comments necessarily but in articles, blogs, a dissertation which exceeds 50,000 words Grammarly is really helpful.
I agree that Grammarly is helpful, but as with all grammar checkers, we have the learn what it misses. It appears from the comments and experience, Grammarly does not handle commas well. It also does not distinguish between "a few people like the show" and "few people like the show" for one. I use Google docs and have found the add-on Grade Proof helpful when used to supplement Grammarly. I only use the free versions of both. I have seen Scribens https://www.scribens.com/ mentioned in another thread, but after trying it, it didn't add to Grammarly. I may try it again.

Microsoft Word has a good grammar checker, but it would incorrectly identify clauses as fragments at times when I used it, but I no longer have a license. It may have improved. My advice, for what it is worth, is to use one until you learn its limitations and supplement as the need arises. If someone is getting dinged for one type of error in his or her reviews, he or she might consider looking for help here and on grammar sites.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
sharon8910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon8910.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by sharon8910 »

Wow! Thank you all so much for your input in information about Grammarly, I was deciding if I should pay from premium or not but reading the comments here I won't spend my money on that. Thank you all a lot again.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 14:08
Miriam Molina wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 21:22 Here's how I got the Grammarly free version. I went to their webpage, found the "download" button, and downloaded the app. Now, all that I type online is checked by Grammarly, including comments on social media, emails, and everything I post on the OBC forums.

It was no sweat. But that was over a year ago; I have no idea if things have changed with them. I do hope you are able to get the free version soon. It helps a lot, though you also need to mull over the suggested corrections. Not all of them are appropriate. Free Grammarly also does not flag sentence fragments, run-on sentences, and other errors. Nevertheless, I don't suggest paying for the premium version.
I'm wondering if it will be of much use for me. So far the only errors it seems to find are only displayed on the premium version.
Grammerly doesn't correct all the errors, and leaves many for premium version. I use Scriben along with Grammerly for better proofreading. It still leaves many mistakes. I think purchasing premium version of Grammerly is the right option.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:00

If you are having trouble with getting grammarly grammar checker, then it can resolved.

Here is how I did mine.

First, I downloaded grammarly as extension file into my personal computer.
Before installing it into my msword.

Next, I simply open it whenever I am ready to check for grammar errors.

However, the computer must be connected to the internet.

You too can do the same.

Is this helpful?
Books are lovely.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:00 Could someone please explain to me how Grammarly works? I went to grammarly.com. It said, "Get a free grammar check and correct mistakes in your text with Grammarly’s online grammar checker."

I pasted my writings into the box and clicked the button. After it analyzed my work, I was prompted to create an account, which I did. Then it says I have to either install the Grammarly keyboard or upgrade to Premium. I never got the analysis.

All I want is for Grammarly to check my work. After everything I've read in multiple forum threads, I was under the impression that it was a simple, free process. Do I have to have the Grammarly keyboard, or am I doing something wrong? I thought it would be a copy/paste tool.
I use Grammarly keyboard, it helps but I don't agree with some of its suggestions. Also, I feel a lack of "predictive text type" option while using this. The option of predictive text better work on my Samsung mobile, but it sometimes doesn't check spelling errors. I keep on switching between both.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Ayat paarsa wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 07:07
Tiny_Turtle wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:00 Could someone please explain to me how Grammarly works? I went to grammarly.com. It said, "Get a free grammar check and correct mistakes in your text with Grammarly’s online grammar checker."

I pasted my writings into the box and clicked the button. After it analyzed my work, I was prompted to create an account, which I did. Then it says I have to either install the Grammarly keyboard or upgrade to Premium. I never got the analysis.

All I want is for Grammarly to check my work. After everything I've read in multiple forum threads, I was under the impression that it was a simple, free process. Do I have to have the Grammarly keyboard, or am I doing something wrong? I thought it would be a copy/paste tool.
I use Grammarly keyboard, it helps but I don't agree with some of its suggestions. Also, I feel a lack of "predictive text type" option while using this. The option of predictive text better work on my Samsung mobile, but it sometimes doesn't check spelling errors. I keep on switching between both.
Thank you for your evaluations. I have become disappointed with all of the grammar/punctuation apps. They aren't reliable enough to use for my reviews. I have decided brush up on my skills by studying the Purdue OWL guides. The one for commas can be found at: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writ ... index.html

This way my reviews should be consistent, and I will have a reputable resource to cite if I ever need to dispute a review score.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I have used Grammarly and in as much as the errors have been corrected, not all. Over-reliance on these sites may actually jeopardise the scores.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Paul78 wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 00:55 I have used Grammarly and in as much as the errors have been corrected, not all. Over-reliance on these sites may actually jeopardise the scores.
I've found the site's writing checker features useful in detecting simple errors that are easily (but shouldn't be) overlooked, e.g. spaces in between words, capitalisations, spelling, tenses, punctuations, among all else in our day and age of auto text corrections.

You're definitely right, though. Sites and software like it are just aids and not substitutes to learning, applying, practising, and validating spelling and grammar knowledge.

As to maximising its advantages, I found out the following:
  • Change the settings to suit your preferred language.
  • The feature isn't a corrector but a "checker," as it is called. It's best to manage expectations accordingly.
  • If you click the "Expand card" then "More" dropdown options of highlighted texts, there are explanations for the recommended revisions.
  • Observations that it indicates are not to be readily treated as true "errors" either. Note that it urges you to "consider" the revision, which means it recognises possible exceptions or variations to the general rule depending on the country, style guide used, intended use, meaning or context.
  • Take its recommendations as prompts to double-check your writing. If you feel that the provided explanations are insufficient, search the internet for credible information sources to help you decide on the right option. Stick to your original choice if your research shows it's right, but ensure that you note your sources' details or site links for future reference.
  • The site also has a blog portion with a wealth of helpful information on grammar and writing often catering to rule variations across style guides and country of English language usage.
  • If you are unable to subscribe to the paid version of the feature, try using Scribens or Hemmingway Project to compliment it. Your choice should depend on the writing style you prefer or readers' level you intend to cater to. Then again just like any other online feature, they have limitations and points for further introspection as well.
  • Regarding review quality scores, this post from our fellow reviewer is quite relevant: viewtopic.php?f=132&t=49381.
"Human editors are still important" is what at least one wise person has said, and I agree. On the more optimistic but a bit off topic side, knowing that fact means there would still be enough human jobs left that machines and technology don't have to completely take over (yet).

I hope this helps.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 15:39 It's not a copy/paste tool. It's an add-on for your browser. It can also be "added" to Microsoft Word (which is how I use it). I run a spell/grammar check in Word, under the newly created tab called "Grammarly."
This exactly! I was confused at first too, but find the in-browser extension to work wonderfully. I didn't realize you could add it to Word though! I'll have to check that out.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Elsereen
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elsereen.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by Elsereen »

Grammarly is a spell check extension that you add to your browser, which will automatically check spellings, punctuation, sentences and lots of more while you are typing..
NOTE: you have to allow extension for your browser before it works and of course a working Internet connection.
Hope you find it helpful.

Return to “International Grammar”