Past tense of "Drag"

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Raja28
Currently Reading: R.I.P
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raja28.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Past tense of "Drag"

Post by Raja28 »

I've been taught that the Past Tense / Past Participle of the verb "Drag" is "Dragged". Recently I came across some text where the word "Drug" is used instead. Any thoughts on this?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I've seen both drug and dragged used.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

According to Google (and apparently The Grammar Guru), dragged is the correct form.

However, like CatInTheHat, I have heard/seen drug used, instead.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I know of no rules which say that "drug" cannot be used but it always produces a cringe in me when I hear it used in place of "dragged". The same occurs when I hear the word "learnt" as opposed to "learned" and yet no less an orator than Winston Churchill has repeatedly used "learnt" in public speeches. I don't know if this is more of an accepted convention in the UK than in The States, and after all "UK English" is the mother tongue, but "learnt" much like "drug" still sort of rakes on the ears.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Raja28

Post by Raja28 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 22:08 I've seen both drug and dragged used.
Thanks! This was the first time I came across such usage and it didn't feel right...
Raja28

Post by Raja28 »

Gravy wrote: 20 Aug 2018, 23:30 According to Google (and apparently The Grammar Guru), dragged is the correct form.
However, like CatInTheHat, I have heard/seen drug used, instead.
Thanks! The dictionaries I referred say "dragged" is correct though.
Raja28

Post by Raja28 »

DATo wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 02:20 I know of no rules which say that "drug" cannot be used but it always produces a cringe in me when I hear it used in place of "dragged". The same occurs when I hear the word "learnt" as opposed to "learned" and yet no less an orator than Winston Churchill has repeatedly used "learnt" in public speeches. I don't know if this is more of an accepted convention in the UK than in The States, and after all "UK English" is the mother tongue, but "learnt" much like "drug" still sort of rakes on the ears.
My feelings exactly... "Drug" in place of "Dragged" doesn't sound good to me at all...
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

DATo wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 02:20 I know of no rules which say that "drug" cannot be used but it always produces a cringe in me when I hear it used in place of "dragged". The same occurs when I hear the word "learnt" as opposed to "learned" and yet no less an orator than Winston Churchill has repeatedly used "learnt" in public speeches. I don't know if this is more of an accepted convention in the UK than in The States, and after all "UK English" is the mother tongue, but "learnt" much like "drug" still sort of rakes on the ears.
You may have Teddy Roosevelt to blame for learnt. I saw this covered on a documentary series (just the other day, for a bit of irony).
You can read about it here.
The documentary segment, however, went into slightly more depth. According to it, he was a terrible speller and just wanted to simplify the English language. They even showed the paper of the 300 suggested word changes. Some have become the norm (labor instead of labour), while others have not (still fixed, not fixt). :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
sarahbarthurs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahbarthurs.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by sarahbarthurs »

I agree that it sounds strange. Based on personal experience, I believe that 'dragged' is the correct way to express 'drag' in the past tense.
Raja28

Post by Raja28 »

sarahbarthurs wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 18:20 I agree that it sounds strange. Based on personal experience, I believe that 'dragged' is the correct way to express 'drag' in the past tense.
Yes, "dragged" sounds correct. Thanks!
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Looked this up—it looks like "dragged" and "drug" can be used interchangeably, but dragged is the truly correct word. "Drug" is used in certain American English verbal dialects, however, so take that how you will. Vernacular is as vernacular does, I guess.
"No way but forward!"
Raja28

Post by Raja28 »

kaymontacell wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 19:49 Looked this up—it looks like "dragged" and "drug" can be used interchangeably, but dragged is the truly correct word. "Drug" is used in certain American English verbal dialects, however, so take that how you will. Vernacular is as vernacular does, I guess.
Thanks! "Drug" may be okay if written as part of a text in vernacular, but "dragged" is correct always. This is my conclusion based on the discussion.
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Raja28 wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 20:15
kaymontacell wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 19:49 Looked this up—it looks like "dragged" and "drug" can be used interchangeably, but dragged is the truly correct word. "Drug" is used in certain American English verbal dialects, however, so take that how you will. Vernacular is as vernacular does, I guess.
Thanks! "Drug" may be okay if written as part of a text in vernacular, but "dragged" is correct always. This is my conclusion based on the discussion.
No problem! I actually asked my parents about it, and one said "dragged" while the other said "drug" (We live in Boston, but both of them are from the West Coast). Go figure.
"No way but forward!"
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

If you are using MS Word, it would depend on the language setting: USA or UK.
Raja28

Post by Raja28 »

MS Word's language setting doesn't catch this one since both 'drug' and 'dragged' are correct words having different meanings. Based on my asking about, most people use 'dragged' and the dictionaries say it's correct. But 'drug' also is used by a few people, especially in some parts of North America.

Return to “International Grammar”