Missing words, is it an accent?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Re: Missing words, is it an accent?

Post by Amanda Deck »

I disagree, black southerners DO speak that way, though the poster who suggested it would have been "dis" instead of "this" has a valid point. I'd also expect to see "yo' pay grade" instead of "your" in that situation.
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 11:31 Hi, I’m reading a book by an American author. It’s written in the first person and there are words regularly missing like

Saturday morning, I sat my front steps to wait for Mr. Crumley.

This way above your pay grade.

Am I looking at mistakes or is it a regional accent?

Thanks
When a mistake is repeated always, can it be attributed to an accent?
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Nditah, that's what I would think. I was just wondering earlier how that would work. It seems difficult to "write with an accent" all the way through a book, especially if it's a main character! But only doing so occasionally looks like a mistake.
DATo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Nditah wrote: 28 Aug 2018, 10:54
When a mistake is repeated always, can it be attributed to an accent?
I think if the author was intentionally trying to insinuate an accent he would do it frequently to the extent that the reader would understand that this was his intent.

One of my favorite books is A Confederacy Of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. In this book the author uses many accents when writing his character's dialogue. In each instance he pulls this off well by remaining consistent with the specific character's delivery of their lines. There is a real art to doing this well and Toole, in my opinion, is a hands-down master of this art.

On the other hand, if the assumed accent is NOT consistent in the character's dialogue, or is limited to only one or two instances in the entire text, I think one may be sure that these are typos and not intentional on the author's part.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
sanykip
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanykip.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by sanykip »

It is an accent unless the mistake is repeated over and over it doesn't qualify
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 11:31 Hi, I’m reading a book by an American author. It’s written in the first person and there are words regularly missing like

Saturday morning, I sat my front steps to wait for Mr. Crumley.

Am I looking at mistakes or is it a regional accent?

Thanks
I believe these sentences each contain a missing word which is an error.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

CatInTheHat wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 15:07
Helen_Combe wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:58 Saturday morning, I sat my front steps to wait for Mr. Crumley.

It should say, "On Saturday morning..." and "This is way..." Not regional in the written word, and very slangish in the oral word.
The first sentence should also have on after sat, "...I sat on my front steps..."
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I have to respectfully disagree with the panel, especially if the character is African American.

When I was in college, I studied linguistics, and this looks like an example of what is called African American English (I learned it as 'Black Vernacular English').

One of the traits of BVE is to change the tense of, or completely delete the verb 'to be'. I don't remember what it used to be called, but now it is referred to as 'copula deletion'.

From the Portland State University website:

https://www.pdx.edu/multicultural-topic ... glish-aave

Copula Deletion

Many speakers of AAVE will sometimes delete certain forms of the copula "to be" (e.g., an AAVE speaker might say "they angry" instead of "they are angry," or "I don't know what he talking about" instead of "I don't know what he's talking about").
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Return to “International Grammar”