Italics and quotation marks

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

10mile72
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-10mile72.html
Latest Review: Marriage 101 by Rodney D Sewell

Italics and quotation marks

Post by 10mile72 »

When citing the names of other books in a review, do they have to be in italics? For instance: This book reminded me of Catcher in the Rye. Does "Catcher in the Rye" have to be in italics?

Another question. What's the proper way to cite a quote from the book I'm reviewing. Here's what I have now.

The authors casual observations are devastating and hilarious at the same time. For example:

They called my house. And since my dad drank instead of worked, he was home and came down to get me.

Are the italics acceptable or should there be quotation marks around the quote?
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

You should use italics for all books or series mentioned in your review, not just the book you are reviewing. If you are quoting a passage from the book, use quotation marks and do not italicize the quote.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

CommMayo wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 14:52 You should use italics for all books or series mentioned in your review, not just the book you are reviewing. If you are quoting a passage from the book, use quotation marks and do not italicize the quote.
:ditto:
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
10mile72

Post by 10mile72 »

Thank you so much for your quick reply. That's very helpful.

Another question, if I may. What’s the proper way to cite a quote from the book I’m reviewing? For example, this is what I have now.

The author’s casual observations are devastating and hilarious at the same time. For example:

They called my house. And since my dad drank instead of worked, he was home and came down to get me.

Should this quote be in italics or in quotation marks?
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

If you are quoting a passage from the book, use quotation marks and do not italicize the quote.
10mile72

Post by 10mile72 »

Thank you. That's very helpful.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

10mile72 wrote: 27 Jul 2018, 14:46 When citing the names of other books in a review, do they have to be in italics? For instance: This book reminded me of Catcher in the Rye. Does "Catcher in the Rye" have to be in italics?

Another question. What's the proper way to cite a quote from the book I'm reviewing. Here's what I have now.

The authors casual observations are devastating and hilarious at the same time. For example:

Are the italics acceptable or should there be quotation marks around the quote?
I had this same question recently and rather than guess, I left the reference to a second book out of the review altogether. I am so glad you asked because now I know the answer. No more writing gymnastics to avoid grammar choices in this department :D
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Return to “International Grammar”