Possessive Apostrophe

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Possessive Apostrophe

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Possessive noun - Is it: Kathy's book or Kathys' book?

Everywhere I look, I see Kathy's book. Everytime I see the previous statement, my initial thought is, "Kathy is book." That's the way I was taught. The apostrophe replaces the letter i. (At least in that instance.) I was taught to show possession as: Kathys' book. That little rhyming sentence has popped in my head every time I see, or write, a possessive. It's probably the one either my teacher, or my dad, used as an example. Now it's stuck in my head forever. ๐Ÿ’•

I understand that the apostrophe before the s has become the accepted norm. When I see someone else do it, I'm fine. I've tried to do it. I've used 's in a possessive a couple of times here in the OnlineBookClub, just to test it. I thought it wouldn't matter. Yet, I flinch at the sight when I read my own words...lol

"Because everyone is doing it" is a cliff I refuse to jump over. I want structure. I want simplicity. Something I did not get when I Googled "Possessive Apostrophe". I got 11 Rules, with three of the rules having multiple parts. Number two goes from 2a to 2e. Structured: as a bridge about to topple over. Simple: seriously!?
https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/commas.asp

My Google keypad used to have issues with my placing the apostrophe at the end of the word. Continuously moving that slippery little thing when I wasn't paying attention. It has since learned that I occasionally like my apostrophe to look like a little tail.

How do you write a possessive noun? What is the simplest way to remember which rule applies?
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

For a singular person, it would be "She borrowed Kathy's book."

For a group, it would be, "The teachers' supplies are housed in the storage closet."
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

That's the way I was taught. The apostrophe replaces the letter i. (At least in that instance.) I was taught to show possession as: Kathys' book. That little rhyming sentence has popped in my head every time I see, or write, a possessive.
You're thinking about contraction, not possession. Apostrophes are used to indicate both.

Contraction: Kathy is in the lab. -- Kathy's in the lab.
Possession: The house of Kathy is nearby. -- Kathy's house is nearby. (I'm not saying, "Kathy is house." I'm saying, "the house of Kathy.")

Try this link: http://writing2.richmond.edu/writing/ww ... ssive.html
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

CatInTheHat wrote: โ†‘22 Jul 2018, 16:57 For a singular person, it would be "She borrowed Kathy's book."

For a group, it would be, "The teachers' supplies are housed in the storage closet."
So, if the noun I am wanting to show as possessive is singular, as in one person, I use 's. If the noun I am wanting to show as possessive is plural, as in multiple people, I use s'.

Do I have that correctly? Just want to make sure I've got it. ๐Ÿ’•
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

inaramid wrote: โ†‘22 Jul 2018, 21:14
That's the way I was taught. The apostrophe replaces the letter i. (At least in that instance.) I was taught to show possession as: Kathys' book. That little rhyming sentence has popped in my head every time I see, or write, a possessive.
You're thinking about contraction, not possession. Apostrophes are used to indicate both.

Possession: The house of Kathy is nearby. -- Kathy's house is nearby. (I'm not saying, "Kathy is house." I'm saying, "the house of Kathy.")

Thank you for the link. This is what I found and my interpretation:
The students' car was towed away.
If the students all owned the car, this works. If it belongs to one student, then it would be "student's car."
My interpretation is that if the noun is singular, I use 's. If the noun is plural, I use s'.

Do you agree?
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: โ†‘26 Jul 2018, 09:56

If the students all owned the car, this works. If it belongs to one student, then it would be "student's car."
My interpretation is that if the noun is singular, I use 's. If the noun is plural, I use s'.

Do you agree?
That's right. You can also put the apostrophe on the end of names that end in s. But both work.
Those are Jesus' shoes.
Those are Jesus's shoes.
Either or.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Bianka Walter wrote: โ†‘26 Jul 2018, 14:05

Do you agree?
That's right. You can also put the apostrophe on the end of names that end in s. But both work.
Those are Jesus' shoes.
Those are Jesus's shoes.
Either or.
This is going to take some getting used to. I might be showing my age by saying this, but this isn't how I was taught in grade school. I even asked my mom how she remembers it. We both agreed that we were taught to put the possessive apostrophes at the end, always. She's close to 80. Things change with time.
Thank you ๐Ÿ’•
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Tiny_Turtle wrote: โ†‘26 Jul 2018, 14:33

Do you agree?
Those are Jesus' shoes.
Those are Jesus's shoes.
Either or.
This is going to take some getting used to. I might be showing my age by saying this, but this isn't how I was taught in grade school. I even asked my mom how she remembers it. We both agreed that we were taught to put the possessive apostrophes at the end, always. She's close to 80. Things change with time.
Thank you ๐Ÿ’•
Most of it was what I was taught; I graduated in the early '80s. The only that I don't do, and would need to see a source showing the change, is the singular possessive of a name ending in "s." I would write it Jesus' shoes, not Jesus's shoes.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

CatInTheHat wrote: โ†‘26 Jul 2018, 15:28

Those are Jesus' shoes.
Those are Jesus's shoes.
Either or.
Thank you ๐Ÿ’•
Most of it was what I was taught; I graduated in the early '80s. The only that I don't do, and would need to see a source showing the change, is the singular possessive of a name ending in "s." I would write it Jesus' shoes, not Jesus's shoes.
I'm with you CatInTheHat - I write it Jesus' shoes. So I've done some research on this, and it seems no one really agrees. So the rule is just to be consistent with whichever way you pick. Jesus's just look weird to me.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Bianka Walter wrote: โ†‘26 Jul 2018, 16:06

Thank you ๐Ÿ’•
I'm with you CatInTheHat - I write it Jesus' shoes. So I've done some research on this, and it seems no one really agrees. So the rule is just to be consistent with whichever way you pick. Jesus's just look weird to me.
I can do consistency. I just don't want to get points taken off for saying Kathys' book. I've been putting the possessive apostrophes at the end of the noun for as long as I can remember. It would be a hard one to change.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Thank you ๐Ÿ’•
Agree with Bianka and CatinTheHat. The rules for showing possession for plural and singular nouns are more clear-cut when they do not end in -s (girl's dress, children's class).

Then you have nouns that end in -s (Paris' sights, girls' dresses). Alternatively, you also see things like the news's impact or Williams's family. British English vs. American English, I guess? In Harry Potter, Rowling writes, Sirius's friend. I'm not opposed to either. True though, you just have to be consistent.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

If the noun is plural but doesn't end it -s, you would still need the apostrophe. For example, "The mice's cheese is rotting." or "children's books"
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Thank you ๐Ÿ’•
You hit the nail on the head. I was hoping that someone else would realized this and point it out. "...it seems no one really agrees." That is the reason I started this Forum post.

I believe that is why a college will have a specific guidebook for all students to use. It is posted, and all Grammar, Formatting and Punctuation Standards are defined.

It really would help if we had such a guidebook here. The International Grammar Forum is nice, for debating and discussing, but we need an actual reference guide.

The link to the guide could be posted within the Review Team Guidelines. Everyone would have easy access to it. It would be easy to find. The most important thing is that there would be no more confusion. No matter what country the reviewer is from.
KUTHEA
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by KUTHEA »

Possessive nouns are used to show ownership or possession. Possession is indicated by apostrophe ('s or s'. The position of the apostrophe is determined by the nature of the noun.
For singular nouns , the apostrophe comes before "s"
E.g. Kathy's Book
For plural we use s'
E.g. Girls' school.
If the noun ends in s then apostrophe is inserted after the s to indicate possession
E.g.James' book
Mary WhiteFace

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

KUTHEA wrote: โ†‘06 Aug 2018, 07:00 Possessive nouns are used to show ownership or possession. Possession is indicated by apostrophe ('s or s'. The position of the apostrophe is determined by the nature of the noun.
For singular nouns , the apostrophe comes before "s"
E.g. Kathy's Book
For plural we use s'
E.g. Girls' school.
If the noun ends in s then apostrophe is inserted after the s to indicate possession
E.g.James' book
Thank you for the summary. It is easy to understand, which should make it easier to follow. ๐Ÿ’•

Return to โ€œInternational Grammarโ€