Simple Question

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

MikleoKrein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Icon Simple Question

Post by MikleoKrein »

I want to ask something that's been bugging me.

If you have a ... in your sentence or dialogue, do you add a space after it or not?

I'm currently writing something. Here's an excerpt of my story with the ... in it.

My mom just laughed at me. Because, hey, who was I kidding? I was the one in the family who often trips... without obstacles... on even floor.

"Honey, you tried tennis. Look where that got you?" Mom leaned her head on her hand while staring at me.

"Tennis... tennis isn't really my sport. I dunno..." I mumbled and averted my eyes, uncomfortable.

I hope someone can help, thank you!~ :saberduel2:
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

MikleoKrein wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 15:51 I want to ask something that's been bugging me.

If you have a ... in your sentence or dialogue, do you add a space after it or not?

I'm currently writing something. Here's an excerpt of my story with the ... in it.

My mom just laughed at me. Because, hey, who was I kidding? I was the one in the family who often trips... without obstacles... on even floor.

"Honey, you tried tennis. Look where that got you?" Mom leaned her head on her hand while staring at me.

"Tennis... tennis isn't really my sport. I dunno..." I mumbled and averted my eyes, uncomfortable.

I hope someone can help, thank you!~ :saberduel2:
Yes, there should be a space after the ellipsis, the three dots.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Daviesmurf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Daviesmurf »

thats a correct way of writing
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

I might not put a space before the ellipsis, though. Now I am confused. Is there a way to confirm this?
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I believe that there should be a space after, but not before, as you have written above.
I don't have a source for this, but if you use a full stop to finish a sentence you'd add a space after the full stop but not before, which is why I don't think one would be needed before the ellipsis.
pre106-2
Favorite Book: Romeo and Juliet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by pre106-2 »

hi! I want to ask, when analysing a book, which should be used, present or past tense?
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

Harley-Panda wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 09:45 I believe that there should be a space after, but not before, as you have written above.
I don't have a source for this, but if you use a full stop to finish a sentence you'd add a space after the full stop but not before, which is why I don't think one would be needed before the ellipsis.
I think so too
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

pre106-2 wrote: 16 Aug 2018, 16:55 hi! I want to ask, when analysing a book, which should be used, present or past tense?
Normally, you should use present tense. However, as long as you are consistent, not too many people should go after you for it.

Also, you should probably have opened a separate topic for this. That way, people can get back to you quicker!
"No way but forward!"
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Both the Chicago and APA styles mandate inserting a space before and after the ellipsis points as well as in between. For example, "I am going home to wash . . . and clean the apartment."
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

ayoomisope wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 09:55 Both the Chicago and APA styles mandate inserting a space before and after the ellipsis points as well as in between. For example, "I am going home to wash . . . and clean the apartment."
Thank you, I read the three dots, ellipse, the same way I perceive a hyphen between thoughts.

Return to “International Grammar”