Every day or everyday?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Burgundy1991
Currently Reading: Poldark
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-burgundy1991.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Every day or everyday?

Post by Burgundy1991 »

I remember the difference between the two by considering whether I can insert 'single' in the middle. If you can, use 'every day.' If you can't, use 'everyday.'

Example:
'I have a shower every day.'

'I have a shower every single day' makes sense, so split into 2 words.

'Showering is an everyday habit.'

'Showering is an every single day habit' doesn't make sense, so it's just 1 word.
vera22014
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vera22014 »

Every day
Plantsandcrabs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Plantsandcrabs »

Everyday is the adjective, meaning you use it to describe something. You use everyday to say something happens daily.

Every day is an adverb. In this case you are not using it to describe something but to say that "Every day you do...." instead of "I've got the everyday chores to do."
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Plantsandcrabs wrote: ↑24 Jun 2018, 17:35 Everyday is the adjective, meaning you use it to describe something. You use everyday to say something happens daily.

Every day is an adverb. In this case you are not using it to describe something but to say that "Every day you do...." instead of "I've got the everyday chores to do."
I like this explaination. It's simple and easy to remember. I'm adding it to my notes.
Thank you đź’•
GG27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GG27 »

:D This is a very good explanation. Thanks

Return to “International Grammar”