Needing help with commas and semicolon usage

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Icon Needing help with commas and semicolon usage

Post by thaservices1 »

I have a few sentences I would appreciate someone looking over and letting me know if my punctuation usage is correct.

1. As for the overall theme of the novel, it is very pro-gun control.

2. With the NRA offering hefty savings to the elderly in their Armed Seniors Discount Program, the rising crime rate against seniors and their own new unpleasant experiences; the question to arm themselves becomes a large topic in their daily lives.

3. I cannot say it's hair-raising or edge of the seat thrilling, but there were some, "oh my gosh, is he gonna....???" moments in there.

4. The VT2 sport-watch is like nothing ever seen before. Capable of lab grade physiological observation in real time, its stunning algorithms can even predict the time of death accurately to within 30 days. (This was originally one sentence, did I break it up improperly?)

5. Politics, immigration, and gun control just scratch the surface. (I ran this through two different grammar checkers and they disagree on the comma after immigration)

6. More often though it feels like an open debate rather than a closed argument. (the grammar checks do not like the word closed in this sentence but if I change it to closing the meaning is lost)

7. I found no editing or grammatical errors, but there was a scene where the author refers to himself, "the author", and you, "the reader".

8. Overall, I enjoyed the book, but the conclusion felt very rushed.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

On a quick review, the sentences look correctly punctuated. The sentence
Politics, immigration, and gun control just scratch the surface. (I ran this through two different grammar checkers and they disagree on the comma after immigration)
depends upon whether or not the grammar checker has been programmed for the Oxford comma rule, a can of worms not to be opened here. In that case, I would agree with your use of the comma.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

jgraney8 wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 16:14 On a quick review, the sentences look correctly punctuated. The sentence
Politics, immigration, and gun control just scratch the surface. (I ran this through two different grammar checkers and they disagree on the comma after immigration)
depends upon whether or not the grammar checker has been programmed for the Oxford comma rule, a can of worms not to be opened here. In that case, I would agree with your use of the comma.
Thank you very much :D
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt

Return to “International Grammar”