Commas in Compound Sentences: Being Outmoded?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

mrswoodlee
Currently Reading: Dreamlander
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrswoodlee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Commas in Compound Sentences: Being Outmoded?

Post by mrswoodlee »

I've noticed in several published works I've read recently that authors are consistently leaving out the comma in a compound sentence, so that it reads, "He cooked and she cleaned," instead of, "He cooked, and she cleaned." Not just here and there, but throughout each book. I was taught always to use a comma to split the two halves of a compound sentence, but I've seen examples enough lately that I'm starting to wonder if writers/editors are doing away with it.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is the compound sentence comma being outmoded? I hope not, as I think it adds clarity in many cases, just as the Oxford comma does.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

I haven't noticed the commas being left out, but I will look for it in the future. The guideline you give is the common one for compound sentences. I have seen a sentence like "He cooked and she cleaned" considered an exception because the two clauses are short. I once received an editing textbook in which the author, a friend of mine, did not use commas in compound sentences. Needless to say, we never used that book.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Rpmartine
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rpmartine »

I have also seen the command left out with short clauses. However, I would expect to see the comma included with longer clauses.
quentaje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by quentaje »

I've noticed the comma being left out in other places it should be included, even in (what seem like) well edited books. The example you gave is kind of shocking; the sentence looks particularly lacking. Sometimes, though, in my own writing, I'll skip over some of the places I know might need a comma because of pacing, especially in someone's dialogue.
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

I notice that, and I flag those sentences in my grammar reviews on the site. I am not a big fan of leaving the comma out; it also helps the reader understand where connected clauses begin and end.
"No way but forward!"
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

mrswoodlee wrote: 29 May 2018, 11:05
Has anyone else noticed this? Is the compound sentence comma being outmoded? I hope not, as I think it adds clarity in many cases, just as the Oxford comma does.
Are there any other examples showing longer sentences being compounded without the comma?
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

I think that these authors are following old grammar rules in which people were taught that one cannot put a comma followed by an and. I have been making the same mistake in my report writing. Learning does not end in class. It goes on and on.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

When I recently brushed up on commas, I read that a comma may be omitted in a short sentence.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

56lives wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 03:40 I think that these authors are following old grammar rules in which people were taught that one cannot put a comma followed by an and. I have been making the same mistake in my report writing. Learning does not end in class. It goes on and on.
I'm one of those people who was taught NOT to put commas before "and", TO [always] put a comma before "but", etc. After being dinged for various things, I learned the so-called "new" style and use it for my reviews, but I still do it old style in all of my other writings, as I absolutely abhor the way sentences look written under these new rules.
RGraf
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rgraf.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by RGraf »

Per the Chicago Manual of Style, small compound sentences no longer have to have the comma before the conjunction. Not comfortable doing that yet.
mrswoodlee

Post by mrswoodlee »

FictionLover wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 05:43 When I recently brushed up on commas, I read that a comma may be omitted in a short sentence.
That's good to know. The example I gave was one I made up to illustrate my meaning for those who might not understand exactly what I meant by a "compound sentence." The actual instances I've been encountering have been in longer sentences. I have seen it often enough lately in recent, mainstream books, but I'll have to watch for a better example I can share here. :techie-studyingbrown:
mrswoodlee

Post by mrswoodlee »

RGraf wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 15:09 Per the Chicago Manual of Style, small compound sentences no longer have to have the comma before the conjunction. Not comfortable doing that yet.
Haha, I don't think I will be, either. I've seen it a lot in longer sentences; the one I used as an example was just one I made up to illustrate the concept of a compound sentence, for those who might not know the terms, even though they understand the rule. The actual "offenses" I've seen have been of larger size.
mrswoodlee

Post by mrswoodlee »

jgraney8 wrote: 30 May 2018, 16:20 I haven't noticed the commas being left out, but I will look for it in the future. The guideline you give is the common one for compound sentences. I have seen a sentence like "He cooked and she cleaned" considered an exception because the two clauses are short. I once received an editing textbook in which the author, a friend of mine, did not use commas in compound sentences. Needless to say, we never used that book.
LOL I should say not! :snooty:

The example I gave was just to illustrate my meaning; the actual examples I've encountered are lengthier sentences. Let me know if you notice a book that has a case of the no-compound-sentence-commas. :wink:
mrswoodlee

Post by mrswoodlee »

56lives wrote: 05 Sep 2018, 03:40 I think that these authors are following old grammar rules in which people were taught that one cannot put a comma followed by an and. I have been making the same mistake in my report writing. Learning does not end in class. It goes on and on.
It does indeed; I learn new grammar rules all the time. More so than new rules, now I am going back and learning the exceptions, which can be just as important. :)
mrswoodlee

Post by mrswoodlee »

Yssimnar wrote: 04 Aug 2018, 17:09
mrswoodlee wrote: 29 May 2018, 11:05
Are there any other examples showing longer sentences being compounded without the comma?
Oh, yes. The example I gave was just one I invented to illustrate my meaning. The actual examples I've found have been much lengthier sentences. I'll keep my eyes peeled for one to share here. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “International Grammar”