Style Guide?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Style Guide?

Post by NRoach »

My score has been suffering heavily recently due to comma usage, especially as it adds up. Obviously I want to fix this, but what I get penalised for and whether or not I get penalised at all seems to be luck of the draw with which editor looks over my reviews.

Do we have a recommended style guide to use, or at least a guide about this? Comma usage in particular varies wildly between style guides, and it would be nice to know if there was a set system I could use to eliminate the apparent randomness.

Thanks in advance!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

There is not a specific style guide to follow. When in doubt, take the most conservative approach & you should be fine.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

NRoach wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 17:49 My score has been suffering heavily recently due to comma usage, especially as it adds up. Obviously I want to fix this, but what I get penalised for and whether or not I get penalised at all seems to be luck of the draw with which editor looks over my reviews.

Do we have a recommended style guide to use, or at least a guide about this? Comma usage in particular varies wildly between style guides, and it would be nice to know if there was a set system I could use to eliminate the apparent randomness.

Thanks in advance!

I've complained about this and haven't gotten a response yet. Ten points is not right to take off about some things that are deducted such as appropriate or inappropriate comma usage that can't be proved are wrong. I installed the Grammarly app in my phone and am going to just go by the app's recommendation from now on and submit and see what happens.
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/01/
http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/comma.html

Here are a couple of quick guides to commas. These are the guidelines I was taught to follow in school. Hopefully they can help you. However, as was said previously, when in doubt, be conservative.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

Commas can really be tricky and you are right, the use actually varies with the style guide. What I do is to read it and use a comma where I would pause when reading.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I think an official style guide might be a good thing. I use the Chicago Manual of Style for work, so that's what I used in my review. But I lost a few points for what was considered incorrect punctuation. I and the Chicago Manual could disagree. But I know that there are some items in the manual that differ in other styles. And I am aware that there are several difference in British grammar. If there is an "International Grammar" style that is more prevalent, I would love to know what it is, so I can make my writing accurate for this forum.

Return to “International Grammar”