UK v American

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Re: UK v American

Post by Helen_Combe »

PlanetHauth wrote: 03 May 2018, 03:56

:lol2: I bet you were bamboozled! I enjoy seeing the differences between the "two" languages. It makes me realize just how different the cultures are, even though the US stemmed from the UK way back when, and leads me down a great etymological rabbit hole.

Although, I think my favorite pastime is reading stories or comments discussing the UK's use of "fanny" vs. the US's use of the word. :lol2: I guess any comparison of the English language is fun to me, but this particular word and the conversation that ensues is usually pretty hysterical to me.
I believe the Americans took the English language and simplified it. In the UK, we left it as it is, so our words contain their history and their linguistic origins. It’s all very interesting but horribly complicated. :?

I believe Richard Burton was once told to grab Elizabeth Taylor by the fanny in a film. He asked ‘are you sure?’ And they said ‘of course.’
I think Elizabeth Taylor got quite a shock that day :lol:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

Helen_Combe wrote: 03 May 2018, 04:04
PlanetHauth wrote: 03 May 2018, 03:56

:lol2: I bet you were bamboozled! I enjoy seeing the differences between the "two" languages. It makes me realize just how different the cultures are, even though the US stemmed from the UK way back when, and leads me down a great etymological rabbit hole.

Although, I think my favorite pastime is reading stories or comments discussing the UK's use of "fanny" vs. the US's use of the word. :lol2: I guess any comparison of the English language is fun to me, but this particular word and the conversation that ensues is usually pretty hysterical to me.
I believe the Americans took the English language and simplified it. In the UK, we left it as it is, so our words contain their history and their linguistic origins. It’s all very interesting but horribly complicated. :?

I believe Richard Burton was once told to grab Elizabeth Taylor by the fanny in a film. He asked ‘are you sure?’ And they said ‘of course.’
I think Elizabeth Taylor got quite a shock that day :lol:
Oh, we simplified it alright (all right? :eusa-think: ). :shock2: I think in some ways we've butchered the language, but that's a whole different can of worms.

I've never heard about that happening between Burton and Taylor. How horrifying!
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

One of my favourites over the years:

Americans call a tramp a bum, a bum a fanny and a fanny a puss-ay.

A friend of mine had just got off a transatlantic flight and was desperate for a cigarette. She asked someone: "Do you know where I could get a *** round here?" and was directed to a gay bar.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 04 May 2018, 03:17 One of my favourites over the years:

Americans call a tramp a bum, a bum a fanny and a fanny a puss-ay.

A friend of mine had just got off a transatlantic flight and was desperate for a cigarette. She asked someone: "Do you know where I could get a *** round here?" and was directed to a gay bar.
:lol:

I had a female work colleague who would ask me how my pussy was, every morning. It was almost a relief when my cat finally died.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

I’m cooking my dinner and using an American recipe. I had no idea what ‘snow peas’ were.
So here we go

Snow peas - mangetout
Scallions - spring onion
Cup - totally mysterious measurement
Corn - corn on the cob
Wheat - corn
Jelly - jam

So,what is the American equivalent to that thing made out of gelatine that wobbles on a plate which we call jelly?
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

So,what is the American equivalent to that thing made out of gelatine that wobbles on a plate which we call jelly?
[/quote]

Jello!

LOL@ cup = totally mysterious measurement. I have a book at home that tells me it's 250 mL.
Mod
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 04 May 2018, 13:38 So,what is the American equivalent to that thing made out of gelatine that wobbles on a plate which we call jelly?
Jello!

LOL@ cup = totally mysterious measurement. I have a book at home that tells me it's 250 mL.
[/quote]

Ah! Thank you for the mysterious cup measurement!
Jello! It’s all so clear to me now. :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

This isn’t grammar, it’s pronunciation.

We say era as eera
The American pronunciation sounds just like error to us, so it can be so funny when the gravelly voice-over declares

IT WAS THE DAWN OF A NEW ERROR!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Helen_Combe wrote: 08 May 2018, 07:04 This isn’t grammar, it’s pronunciation.

We say era as eera
The American pronunciation sounds just like error to us, so it can be so funny when the gravelly voice-over declares

Error and Era are pronounced differently from each other in the U.S. Era is ends in a short a sound. Error has an r sound at the end of it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

CatInTheHat wrote: 08 May 2018, 07:42
Helen_Combe wrote: 08 May 2018, 07:04 This isn’t grammar, it’s pronunciation.

We say era as eera

Error and Era are pronounced differently from each other in the U.S. Era is ends in a short a sound. Error has an r sound at the end of it.
Indeed, but is sounds like error to us because we don’t have an r sound at the end of error.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Irene C »

Helen_Combe wrote: 04 May 2018, 12:39 I’m cooking my dinner and using an American recipe. I had no idea what ‘snow peas’ were.
So here we go

Snow peas - mangetout
Scallions - spring onion
Cup - totally mysterious measurement
Corn - corn on the cob
Wheat - corn
Jelly - jam

So, there is jam in the US -- made from solid real fruit with sugar. What Americans refer to as jelly is made without fruit solids, just fruit juice and sugar. Solid flavored gelatine on a plate is Jell-O/Jello, the brand name of a gelatine product.
The cup is a standard measurement in the US; sold as measuring cups (1 cup) and 1/2 cup, 1/4 cup.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

The differences are really interesting and confusing at the same time. I just choose to be consistent and use the US version instead, unless it specifically says that I have to use the UK version. This thread is very helpful. :)
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Aaarrghhh I’ve just found a potentially embarrassing difference between UK and US English

Over here, a gangbang is an orgy so it is assumed that everybody is having fun.
US, it’s a rape!

I can see someone from the UK getting into trouble if they’re told there is a gangbang going on, and them asking in jest if they can join in.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

In the Philippines, we speak English in school. We are familiar with both American and British English (the common words, at least) and use the spellings interchangeably. However, we have also coined our own English expressions that are not used in either the US or the UK.

Examples: "green-minded" (for people who are preoccupied with sex), the related "green jokes" (obscene jokes), "brown jokes" (toilet humor), "overpass" and "underpass" (as pedestrian walkways over or under roads), and the bizarre "salvage" (to kill a person, usually violently, and throw the body into the bushes or river)

Isn't language fascinating?
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Hee! Underpass is British too (mentioned in a Smiths song!) but if you told me someone was green I'd think they were more callow than salacious.
Mod

Return to “International Grammar”