WHAT IS THE MOST APPROPRIATE FORM OF TENSE TO BE USED IN BOOKS WRITING?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Daviesmurf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: WHAT IS THE MOST APPROPRIATE FORM OF TENSE TO BE USED IN BOOKS WRITING?

Post by Daviesmurf »

it really depends on what kind of narrative technique being employed but for me past tense does it.
Telo_2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-telo-2018.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Telo_2018 »

I think past tense makes the plot of the story convincing or genuine at some point. Present tense makes a story a story, one which occurred before the present time. But modern writers have various styles and options. Present or future tense is common in various books of different genres today.
Yssimnar
Favorite Book: Wives and Daughters
Currently Reading: No Man Knows My History
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yssimnar.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by Yssimnar »

Aisha I wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 00:15 Frequently, many writers become confused about what tense to use in narrating a new story. They ponder if they should use the present tense, present continuous, past tense or the past participles in terms of verbs and the action of the story.
It is accurate to use either past tense or present tense in writing a story. I use either of them in narrating a story but I prefer using the present tense at most. I make sure I stay consistent with a particular tense because it's atrocious to use both present tense and past tense at the same time, and it is fun to use one in line with the story.

What can you say about this topic?
Which do you prefer and why do you think it's the best?
I think it depends on the preference and purpose of the author. The key is to be consistent. If the author is jumping around, we have to ask if there is a purpose in changing tense or if the author is just being sloppy.
:wink:
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
pre106-2
Favorite Book: Romeo and Juliet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by pre106-2 »

present tense, although there are some situations that requires the use of past tense and other tenses, but I think present tense should be frequently used.
Nditah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nditah.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Nditah »

For a review, I think the Present tense may be used for non-fiction while the past tense, for fiction.
I feel so because the present gives a sense of the content being factual and unchanging while the past gives the feeling of recounting an event.
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

I definitely prefer past tense. Stories are, presumably, being told as if they happened before. It can get irritating after a while to hear "I take the knife from the cupboard" or something like that.
"No way but forward!"
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

Past tense is the constant, most common, and therefore most accepted tense. I say this as someone who writes in the present tense, though. But if you're confused which tense to write in, one of the best advices I've heard is to write a scene(s) in both tenses, and see which feels more original.

A word or two of caution: present tense is much more difficult to write than past tense. I didn't believe this was true until I started writing. If you have less then perfect grasp on grammar, and even if you do, think a thousand times before going for the present tense.

Also, what's the norm is past tense. Most people prefer it. So writing in the present may throw some readers off, unless your writing is brilliant. If you really want to take that chance, go for it.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I asked myself this same question when I first started writing reviews. From what I've heard, the basic rule is to use past tense when discussing historical events and literary present when discussing fictional events.

On the other hand, it's fine to use past tense when you're talking about your experience with a book. I use past tense for the most part of my reviews because tense shifting can be confusing to readers. I haven't had any problem so far, so it must be acceptable.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I think the present continuous as well is the best tense to use throughout the book. It makes me feel as if I am thinking the character's thoughts, and acting as they act. I tend to get more wrapped up in the story if this tense is used.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I prefer using past tense, as it make my writing a strong one. Using past tense make the reader feels he's watching film.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

It depends on the story. If it is about a memory, past tense would be appropriate. If the book is about future plans or just ideas, present tense would be appropriate.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Infinity_100
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Infinity_100 »

I think using present tense make the narration real and authentic, especially in story writing.
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

This is an interesting topic. When I write creatively, it really depends on the person I use as well. Some tenses will go better with different narratorial voices. For example, I like to experiment quite a bit and I love using 2nd person and present tense. It sounds like: "You stand up, anger pulsating along your temples, and you can feel your nails digging into your palms, leaving marks". I think that's an interesting use of present tense. Past tense, in my opinion, is best used with a distant narrator, so a 3rd person approach might benefit from it more. 1st person and present tense can create a very intimate setting and feeling while 1st person and past tense will give the work a reflective, pensive feeling. The choice of tense can't, on its own, make or break a piece. I believe it must be thought of as an integral part in the composition. I'm curious if anyone thinks of tense in the same way? :)
johndaniel88
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by johndaniel88 »

There's an interesting Fantasy genre Indian Story by the name "Tasher Desh" where author meets the characters from the book as he is writing. I personally feel anything that happened in the past ignites our curiosity. Future can be predicted and altered, past remains static. The terms attached to past world and it environment are simple.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Using present tense in a narrative is often intended to draw a reader into the story.

Return to “International Grammar”