WHAT IS THE MOST APPROPRIATE FORM OF TENSE TO BE USED IN BOOKS WRITING?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Aisha I
Currently Reading: Dead Lock
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-i.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

WHAT IS THE MOST APPROPRIATE FORM OF TENSE TO BE USED IN BOOKS WRITING?

Post by Aisha I »

Frequently, many writers become confused about what tense to use in narrating a new story. They ponder if they should use the present tense, present continuous, past tense or the past participles in terms of verbs and the action of the story.
It is accurate to use either past tense or present tense in writing a story. I use either of them in narrating a story but I prefer using the present tense at most. I make sure I stay consistent with a particular tense because it's atrocious to use both present tense and past tense at the same time, and it is fun to use one in line with the story.

What can you say about this topic?
Which do you prefer and why do you think it's the best?
Anabiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Anabiya »

Past tense in the story make you feel that you're reading an authentic story whereas Present Tense makes you feel its a fantasy work.
4cynthia72
Currently Reading: Word collector
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by 4cynthia72 »

I think present continuous is the best since its engaging and makes one feel as part of the narrative.
gowon420
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gowon420 »

Past tenses are used for memories while future tenses are for the future
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

It really depends on the story being narrated, although reading in present continuous would make you feel like being brought along in the narrative.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

I feel present continuous is the best as it is engaging. It still depends with the type of book and its purpose. Stories written in past tense always appear to be real unlike the present and future ones look like they can be acted out for a film.
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.
Bishop01

Post by Bishop01 »

The intended readers are to be the major determinant for the appropriate tense for each book. Children's stories are best written in the present format.
NRoach
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nroach.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NRoach »

Mildred Tabitha wrote: 25 Apr 2018, 23:54 I feel present continuous is the best as it is engaging. It still depends with the type of book and its purpose. Stories written in past tense always appear to be real unlike the present and future ones look like they can be acted out for a film.
Present continuous is being the best for writing books? I can't imagine being reading a whole book in the continuous. I would be finding very strange.
It has always been being thought by me that it would be best for a book to have been being written in the present perfect continuous passive tense.

Facetiousness aside, past tense is the traditional default. Present is becoming more and more common, though a lot of purists (generally of the older persuasion) seem to find it akin to grating their eyeballs. As a reader and as a writer, please don't try and write anything in future tense. It won't turn out very well.
SammiArch
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammiarch.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by SammiArch »

The most important part is definitely staying in which ever tense chosen throughout the entire review. Technically, you previously read the book so because you are referring back to something the review could be written in past tense. However, I prefer present tense. Regardless, I think the collective takeaway in regards to tense is that whatever you chose, STAY CONSISTANT!
Lara_jane

Post by Lara_jane »

Present tense future tense is more likely to use for a fantasy or a cool story and past tense is more likely to use if your telling a story about your past memory or a history
onuoha onyinyechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by onuoha onyinyechi »

Past tense is more likely to be used for a flashback relating to occurrence in ones past or history.I think it's better to be consistent in a particular tense that suits the background of your story
Stblamma

Post by Stblamma »

Well, it depends on what you are writing. If you are narrating a story, I suggest the use of past tense; if it's a new information I suggest the use of present tense.
kdex97_

Post by kdex97_ »

i think in book writin.if one is narrating a story that has happened,past tense is better use.why for imaginative story,present tense is prefered
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I think it depends on the story. I’ve seen all sorts of tenses used to good effect. The author just needs to pick one and stick with it unless they’re doing dream sequences or memories etc.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Books written in the present tense really irritate me and seem amateurish, but some authors can pull it off.

Return to “International Grammar”