Dr. or Dr?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Emma13
Currently Reading: The Captive Mind
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emma13.html
Latest Review: A Slice Of Chile by Dr Terry Hannan

Dr. or Dr?

Post by Emma13 »

I understand that American English is fond of the full stop after Dr., Mr. and so on.

However, if the author chooses to write their name without it, should we honour that spelling or change it according to our own grammatical preferences?

I'm English so I don't like it anyway, but would be interested to read other views.
MoShizzle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by MoShizzle »

If you’re writing a college essay, I would highly suggest talking to your professor. Some prefer you honor the spelling in the book where as others prefer the American English version in writing.

I would suggest using the American English version because it is less noticeable than the form without the full stop, and it is what you, as the ‘author’ of you essay would normally use.

If you are quoting a line in the book, however, make sure to use EXACTLY what the author wrote unless you are using [brackets] around what you have added.

Hope that helped :-) !
Traxy
Currently Reading: Breaking Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B004S40V1C

Post by Traxy »

In British English the general rule is apparently that if the abbreviation ends with the same letter as the original word, like "Dr" short for "Doctor", it should not have a full stop. Titles like Mr/Mrs/Ms also end with the same letter as the original word, so should also not have a full stop. :)
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

What form does Australian English use? Would this be a subjective style choice to leave the period off words like Mr and Dr?
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Charlize Venter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlize-venter.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Charlize Venter »

Traxy wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 12:18 In British English the general rule is apparently that if the abbreviation ends with the same letter as the original word, like "Dr" short for "Doctor", it should not have a full stop. Titles like Mr/Mrs/Ms also end with the same letter as the original word, so should also not have a full stop. :)
Yes, indeed. Yet, one must consider that OnlineBookClub largely seems to use American English.
This said, to be safe from having points deducted, stick to the English style you’re using (either American of British) so ensure there are no discrepancies and that you can make an argument should you lose points in this manner.

Personally, I was taught that all abbreviated professions must receive the period behind is, including titles such as Mr., Mrs., Jr., Sr., Dr., etc
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Charlize Venter wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 04:01
Traxy wrote: 23 Mar 2018, 12:18 In British English the general rule is apparently that if the abbreviation ends with the same letter as the original word, like "Dr" short for "Doctor", it should not have a full stop. Titles like Mr/Mrs/Ms also end with the same letter as the original word, so should also not have a full stop. :)
Yes, indeed. Yet, one must consider that OnlineBookClub largely seems to use American English.
This said, to be safe from having points deducted, stick to the English style you’re using (either American of British) so ensure there are no discrepancies and that you can make an argument should you lose points in this manner.

Personally, I was taught that all abbreviated professions must receive the period behind is, including titles such as Mr., Mrs., Jr., Sr., Dr., etc
A period is needed after Dr., Mr. Ms., and other titles in American English. On the other hand, British English does not use the full stop after these titles. As long as you are consistent with the English style you use in your review, editors shouldn't mark any points off. If this happens, I would recommend asking for a recheck with evidence to show the editor you are correct. From my experience, keeping the style in a review consistent definitely helps with editorial scores. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Samuel Mamo
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-mamo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Samuel Mamo »

"Dr." is the right one. Because it is shortned from Doctor; the same for other titles before name.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

I am not a native English speaker but I was taught that all abbreviations should have a full stop in front of it

Return to “International Grammar”