Does anyone know of a really good grammar and spell checker that I can use

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Diggory123
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diggory123.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
fav_author_id: 6470

Does anyone know of a really good grammar and spell checker that I can use

Post by Diggory123 »

Does anyone know of a really good grammar and spellchecker that I can use?

I'm currently trying to write my own book but I know that when I proofread I won't be picking up on every little mistake. Does anyone know of a good program I can use that will help proofread my work for spelling and grammar mistakes?
Megan Mae brown_20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Megan Mae brown_20 »

Word document and owl edu Purdue
Lynsaysamson31
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynsaysamson31.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Lynsaysamson31 »

I have recently downloaded Spelling and grammer checker from Google Play store. 2000 word limit and seems to work ok. Not sure how it will work as you are writing a novel but there might some sort of other app to download that will work with your operating system. Rather than copy and pasting sections into app. Grammarly Keyboard works like this but I haven't tried it yet.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Use grammarly thats the only one I can recommend you in online grammar check
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

I also recommend Grammarly. It catches the major errors. I paid to get the more advanced version which is helpful for things like word choice, but sometimes it will tell you things are wrong that are stylistic choices and fine in the context. All-in-all Grammarly is great, but a human check is always good and don’t feel obligated to change everything Grammarly recommends.
them1n1ch1ef15
Currently Reading: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-them1n1ch1ef15.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by them1n1ch1ef15 »

I have been using Grammarly but I'm still getting penalised for incorrect grammar despite Grammarly being happy with the text. It's hard to know what to do really not least because some of it is subjective! If anyone can suggest a better checking app I would be really grateful.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

them1n1ch1ef15 wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 08:30 I have been using Grammarly but I'm still getting penalised for incorrect grammar despite Grammarly being happy with the text. It's hard to know what to do really not least because some of it is subjective! If anyone can suggest a better checking app I would be really grateful.
I don't think any of the proofreading options are good on their own. I always use two. Recently, I've been using the one that comes with Word and Grammarly. I've been writing reviews for a couple of years, so rarely have errors anymore, but when I do, these tools find them.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I'm having some success with Grammarly since I have problems placing commas with some dependent clauses. When first writing this post, I put a comma after "Grammarly" in the preceding sentence, which highlights my point! Knowing the ins and outs of dependent and independent clauses is pretty invaluable, regardless. There's lots of minor rules to keep track of.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

ViziVoir wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 20:59 I'm having some success with Grammarly since I have problems placing commas with some dependent clauses. When first writing this post, I put a comma after "Grammarly" in the preceding sentence, which highlights my point! Knowing the ins and outs of dependent and independent clauses is pretty invaluable, regardless. There's lots of minor rules to keep track of.
That's a common error for newer reviewers.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
them1n1ch1ef15
Currently Reading: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-them1n1ch1ef15.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by them1n1ch1ef15 »

Thanks very much for all the suggestions. Greatly appreciated.
diligentreader
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by diligentreader »

The rules of English evolve continually, becoming less stringent as time goes by. A comma would have been required in your example years ago. One check I use is reading it aloud. If I can continue straight through without a noticeable pause, the comma is up for grabs. If the oral reading leaves the meaning up to interpretation, the comma is necessary.
Rachelbald1996
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelbald1996.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Rachelbald1996 »

Maybe you can go to word documebt. Use the spell checker. Copy and paste the document.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

The most efficient ones are premium, unfortunately. Grammarly, in its free version, works quite well. It has detected some errors that others failed to spot. I could replace some of the premium mode's functions with Scribens. You do have to remember that not all the things that these software highlight are necessarily wrong, but between them, my own knowledge, and some websites such as wordreference and macmillandictionary, I can build some pretty satisfactory texts in English.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I recently used Grammarly and it was helpful. However, it did miss that I had not capitalized Garden of Eden and it marked a verb wrong that was in a complex sentence and was actually correct. No program will be completely accurate, but they are helpful.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

Grammarly is quite popular and can be used free, although you'd need to purchase a plan if you want a more intensive editing. I've also heard of Scribendi but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet since I think they don't have a free option.

Return to “International Grammar”