Biblical references

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Ste Brad
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ste-brad.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Biblical references

Post by Ste Brad »

I thought it was interesting that I'd never noticed a comma after the name of the book when citing Biblical references in the UK. Nothing major... just surprised that I hadn't noticed it until I read 'Can I Be Frank?' by Rob Wyatt.
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I'm a pastor, and I have never seen the kind of Bible notation you're speaking of. Neither the MLA, APA, Chicago, or Turabian style manuals allow for a comma between the book and chapter. The closest standard notation would be something like Eph. 4:9, with the period indicating an abbreviation of Ephesians (though Eph 4:9 would be considered more standard).
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle

Return to “International Grammar”