Welcome to the land of "Cockaigne"!

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Shirazi Cat
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirazi-cat.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Welcome to the land of "Cockaigne"!

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Hi there

I have a philological (I guess) sort of question for scholars out there! It's probably just my imagination flying (paraetymology being a pastime of mine) but you never know...

I guess you have encountered the expression "land of Cockaigne" or "Cockayne" (as it is also spelled apparently) to denote a land of milk and honey, a land of plenty. Now, again, this is probably just my fancy but as the two are spelled (and presumably pronounced) not too dissimilarly, does anyone know whether the name of this mythical land has any relation (etymological or other) to the well-known, illegal stimulant which afflicts today's youth (as it did yesterday's and will probably do tomorrow's)? I mean, I believe the plant is native to the erstwhile "New World" which was often figured itself as a land of plenty, and so on. And then there is the whole euphoria/plenty connection. So, does anyone know anything about this? Please enlighten me if you will. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Return to “International Grammar”