Is "-ise" an error to be penalised? (or "penalized!?")

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Shirazi Cat
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirazi-cat.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Is "-ise" an error to be penalised? (or "penalized!?")

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Hi everyone

I see there is already a thread on American vs British English, but as my own question is more immediate and, shall we say, practical, I think it may deserve a separate hearing. (By the way, I hope I am not breaking any rules by bringing this up here! If so, please specify amount of hail marys required for atonement - and I'm not even Catholic!)

In any case, here is a short excerpt from the latest editor score sheet I received for a review of mine: "Spelling errors: 'instalments' should be 'installments,' 'categorise' should be 'categorize,' 'organisation' should be 'organization,' and 'favourite' should be 'favorite.' "

Now, it so happens that I studied in Britain and I can assure you that over there one "organises" much more than one "organizes" and that "instalments" are generally "favoured" over "installments" - not that anyone will complain as long as you pay! So, for me, "-ising" rather than "-izing", and so on, is something of a habit. I can appreciate that this is an American site, but does this make British spelling wrong? It's not just because I happened to lose a few points that I'm asking. After all, now I will know what to do in the future (supposing there is one for me! :shifty:) But if this is a real factor, should it not, for example, be mentioned somewhere in the guidelines?

Anyhow, I would like to know what other people think about this, for it could be that I am just being unreasonable. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I do edit reviews based on American English standards. In your position, I'd make sure that your proofreading app is set to American English. I know you can do this setting in Grammarly and in Word. I wouldn't have a clue, as an editor, that most of what you mentioned above, is correct in Britain.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

Yes, I would consider those spellings wrong for purposes of a review--even if I wouldn't consider them wrong if they were in a book. (Not an editor, so my opinion means nothing.)
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Thanks for replying (so promptly too!)

1) "I wouldn't have a clue, as an editor, that most of what you mentioned above, is correct in Britain."
My dear fellow cat, what can I say to that? Try googling "organise vs organize" (or any other of the opposed couples for that matter) and see what comes up. I believe it won't be vastly different to what I am telling you.

2) "Yes, I would consider those spellings wrong for purposes of a review--even if I wouldn't consider them wrong if they were in a book."
Why for heaven's sake? Why should we judge spelling differently depending on whether it occurs in a book or a review?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your taking the time to respond!
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

CatInTheHat wrote:I do edit reviews based on American English standards. In your position, I'd make sure that your proofreading app is set to American English. I know you can do this setting in Grammarly and in Word. I wouldn't have a clue, as an editor, that most of what you mentioned above, is correct in Britain.
That's interesting to hear. I've used British English in the past and haven't lost points.

Edit; Going back to original post, in my opinion surely it shouldn't matter if it's obvious that the word is correctly spelt regardless. Eg; color/colour, organise/organize
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

"That's interesting to hear. I've used British English in the past and haven't lost points."

Hi there,

Well, I am quoting from the editor's scorecard and, as you see, "instalments" and so on are listed as errors. So I have to assume that a penalty has been imposed. As for the post you are quoting, I am rather at a loss, as my own answer indicates, regarding this editor's frank admission that, "as an editor" he "wouldn't have a clue" that there exists such a thing as British spelling!

It's interesting to hear your own experience, which brings me back to the question that made me create this post: is British spelling disallowed here? Whether it is or isn't, shouldn't that be the case across the board, rather than depending on each editor's personal opinions and preferences? If it is disallowed, shouldn't that be made clear in the guidelines?

Thank you for responding.
Last edited by Shirazi Cat on 13 Oct 2017, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

As an editor, I do not take points off for the use of British English since there are quite a few international members, and further, the guidelines do not specify a specific English manual to follow, so the items you listed are not technically wrong. However, I can only obviously speak for myself and not for other editors. I would contact Scott about your editorial comments.
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Thank you Marisa

It's good to hear this about your editorial practice. As for the whole question not being broached in the guidelines, I know it and agree with you, which should be clear from the comment I posted almost simultaneously with you! Thanks again.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

Shirazi Cat wrote:Thank you Marisa

It's good to hear this about your editorial practice. As for the whole question not being broached in the guidelines, I know it and agree with you, which should be clear from the comment I posted almost simultaneously with you! Thanks again.
No problem. I do think Scott will rectify your editorial score for that review once you contact him. It wouldn’t be fair to only edit based on American English. What if a reviewer reaches Level 6 and is able to do edits but happens to have studied somewhere other than the United States? I think editors should take the time to do a quick google search if they are unsure of something (I have done this before, it’s very quick, easy and useful). Hope this doesn’t happen again. Good luck.
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

Marisa

Exactly! I mean, there were editors before the internet and they did a good job back then too, if they cared to. But for such issues to arise in this day and age, with google seconds away from one's fingertips, doesn't make sense. Frankly, I think it's more important that the situation itself, rather than my own score, be rectified, as you say. After all, I can (and I guess i will have to) use the American norm. But, even without point reduction, it is bad form to be "corrected" when there is no correction, really, to be made.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Since there is nothing in the guidelines that says that American English should be used, reviewers shouldn't be penalized for using British English. It is not any more or less correct than American English.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

[quote="Shirazi Cat"]"That's interesting to hear. I've used British English in the past and haven't lost points."

Hi there,

Well, I am quoting from the editor's scorecard and, as you see, "instalments" and so on are listed as errors. So I have to assume that a penalty has been imposed. As for the post you are quoting, I am rather at a loss, as my own answer indicates, regarding this editor's frank admission that, "as an editor" he "wouldn't have a clue" that there exists such a thing as British spelling.]

I did not say that I did not know there is such a thing as British spelling. I know the obvious ones. I do not assume that incorrect spellings in American English are correct in another version of English for,less obvious ones.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

"I did not say that I did not know there is such a thing as British spelling. I know the obvious ones. I do not assume that incorrect spellings in American English are correct in another version of English for,less obvious ones."

Then I guess the question is what you consider to be "obvious". To me "-ise" as opposed to "-ize" and "-our" as opposed to "-or" are the most obvious differences between British and American spelling. And, indeed, "organisation" and "favourite" are two of the three instances of British spelling "corrected" by the editor, and mentioned in my original post. So, when you wrote that "most" of what I mentioned in that post you wouldn't have a clue is correct in Britain, what was it that you were referring to?
Last edited by Shirazi Cat on 13 Oct 2017, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html

Post by PashaRu »

Shirazi Cat wrote:As for the post you are quoting, I am rather at a loss, as my own answer indicates, regarding this editor's frank admission that, "as an editor" he "wouldn't have a clue" that there exists such a thing as British spelling!
I'd have to agree with this. Editors can't be marking things as "mistakes" that aren't really mistakes. It calls into question the entire editing process and, subsequently, reviewer scores.
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree with PashaRu that reviewers shouldn't be penalized for using British English.

@"Shirazi Cat", if you have issues about your score, you should privately contact Scott about it and not discuss it here. This is not the purpose of this forum.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “International Grammar”