Is "-ise" an error to be penalised? (or "penalized!?")

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Re: Is "-ise" an error to be penalised? (or "penalized!?")

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Shirazi Cat wrote:"I did not say that I did not know there is such a thing as British spelling. I know the obvious ones. I do not assume that incorrect spellings in American English are correct in another version of English for,less obvious ones."

Then I guess the question is what you consider to be "obvious". To me "-ise" as opposed to "-ize" and "-our" as opposed to "-or" are the most obvious differences between British and American spelling. And, indeed, "organisation" and "favourite" are two of the three instances of British spelling "corrected" by the editor, and mentioned in my original post. So, when you wrote that "most" of what I mentioned in that post you wouldn't have a clue is correct in Britain, what was it that you were referring to?
I usually find the ones you mentioned obvious. I probably would've been thrown off by "instalments" though.
Shirazi Cat
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirazi-cat.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Shirazi Cat »

@gali

Thanks for your message. I think you will find, if you read all of my posts, that I am actually discussing the question of whether British spelling is acceptable on the site rather than my own case. This is the guideline I have followed in doing so: "If you have any questions about alleged spelling or grammar mistakes, please start a new topic about the alleged grammar mistake in question in the International Grammar Forum."
On the other hand, I wouldn't have known this is happening, had the spelling I used not been corrected by the editor I am quoting. So it was inevitable for me to bring my own case up, if only as an example of what I am talking about. I really don't see what's wrong with that.
As for contacting Scott, I might do that, although I think that clarifying the specific issue is more important. Indeed, since you are an administrator, may I suggest that you contact him yourself and see if you can clearly establish for all the acceptability or not of British spelling on this site? Thanks

-- 15 Oct 2017, 14:14 --

I usually find the ones you mentioned obvious. I probably would've been thrown off by "instalments" though.

Hi Mallory

I admit that "isntalments" is not on a par with the other examples when it comes to "obviousness". But that's how I spontaneously spelled it and it wasn't corrected by Word's spell check, so there you go...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Shirazi Cat wrote:@gali

Thanks for your message. I think you will find, if you read all of my posts, that I am actually discussing the question of whether British spelling is acceptable on the site rather than my own case. This is the guideline I have followed in doing so: "If you have any questions about alleged spelling or grammar mistakes, please start a new topic about the alleged grammar mistake in question in the International Grammar Forum."
On the other hand, I wouldn't have known this is happening, had the spelling I used not been corrected by the editor I am quoting. So it was inevitable for me to bring my own case up, if only as an example of what I am talking about. I really don't see what's wrong with that.
As for contacting Scott, I might do that, although I think that clarifying the specific issue is more important. Indeed, since you are an administrator, may I suggest that you contact him yourself and see if you can clearly establish for all the acceptability or not of British spelling on this site? Thanks
I contacted him about it. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

@gali

Thank you. I contacted him too, following your suggestion.
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Doaa Wael »

gali wrote:I agree with PashaRu that reviewers shouldn't be penalized for using British English.

@"Shirazi Cat", if you have issues about your score, you should privately contact Scott about it and not discuss it here. This is not the purpose of this forum.

Yes. I agree with Gali. This community is really positive so disputing in the comments will not provide a practical solution if you were looking for a solution. Scott, even though he is the webmaster, is very down to earth and accepts communications from any of the members. I contacted him and he replied promptly so you should try that.

I understand how you feel about being penalized but as someone who reads American English everywhere, installment with one L can seem like an error as it is not a common spelling, but if you contact Scott and tell him you were using British English all along and not just for this word, he would understand and rectify the situation.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

@Doaa Wael

"This community is really positive so disputing in the comments will not provide a practical solution if you were looking for a solution"
I think I have the right to discuss editorial corrections, particularly when what is being corrected is not actually an error. If you had read my reply to gali's post you would have seen that I quote the following excerpt from the guidelines accompanying editorial assessment: "If you have any questions about alleged spelling or grammar mistakes, please start a new topic about the alleged grammar mistake in question in the International Grammar Forum." This is precisely what I have done. I am not "looking for a solution" here, I am discussing grammar.

"I contacted him [Scott] and he replied promptly so you should try that."
As I mention in the post immediately preceding yours, I have already done that - but thanks for the suggestion.

" as someone who reads American English everywhere, installment with one L can seem like an error as it is not a common spelling"
Again, if you had read my posts you would have seen that "instalments" is just one of the corrections of British spelling made by the editor - the one, moreover, which, as I admit in my reply to Mallory Whitaker, is the most understandable.

In all, you seem to have flipped through my comments hastily, if at all, so may I suggest that you actually read what a man has to say before offering your criticism? Thanks
Last edited by Shirazi Cat on 17 Oct 2017, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm wondering if @gali should close this thread as it's been discussed that British English should not be penalized (or ised.) Scott has been contacted, and there is no point in talking any more about it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Doaa Wael
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doaa-wael.html

Post by Doaa Wael »

I was not criticising and I apologise if my words made you feel that way.

I was stating a fact that arguing with the editors here (when you quoted one of them for "not knowing" British English) will not result in a practical solution which is a solid fact and not critism because the editors edit reviews anonymously and therefore non of the editors who respond to your comment can alter your score but scott can, which is why I suggested it and when I suggested it, at that time, non of your posts saying that you messaged him were appearing at that time (they appeared now though when I refreshed)

And finally, I said installment with one L "SEEMS" wrong not "is wrong" in an attempt to offer you with an answer about why it might have been counted wrong until scott replies to you.

So all in all, I said my comments with a good heart and with positive intentions, I am sorry you perceived it as otherwise

And I finally, I do hope your score gets adjusted.
Imagination Trumps Reality.
Shirazi Cat

Post by Shirazi Cat »

@Doaa Wael

I received the review of my review maybe 10 days ago and it was only the day before yesterday (or was it yesterday?) that I contacted the webmaster. Believe it or not, I didn't start this thread to have my score fixed but to ask a genuine question which I thought would be of interest not just to me, but to other people here as well, which is why I used this public forum. Also, you don't need to apologise for anything, we are just talking.

@kandscreeley

Why would she want to do that? Aren't we having fun? Personally, I have found this discussion much more edifying than I would ever have expected!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:I'm wondering if @gali should close this thread as it's been discussed that British English should not be penalized (or ised.) Scott has been contacted, and there is no point in talking any more about it.
Personally, I'd like to see clarification from Scott on whether or not it should be penalized. I've never seen anything to indicate that in the editing guidelines. I know that I was penalized for using British terms that were in the book, when writing a review written by a British author, so I would not assume that "all" British English is not to be penalized.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Neharajoria
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 26552">Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less</a>
Currently Reading: Caraval
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neharajoria.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Neharajoria »

@Shirazi Cat- Thank you for starting this conversation. I am a newbie in the review team, and it helped me understand quite a few things about how things work. Mainly via the reaction your post got.

I received my education in India and a little known fact is that India's English education system follows British English to date widely. This is not true for all schools and colleges but a majority of them do. Having said that I could easily find myself in the same fix some day. It's been educational, this post, to say the least.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I verified this issue with Scott and he confirmed that it is ok using British spelling.

Since this in no longer an issue, I am closing this thread.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “International Grammar”