Please i need advice on a proofreading tool.

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Eric77
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Please i need advice on a proofreading tool.

Post by Eric77 »

I really have problems with punctuation and sometimes sentence structure and grammar. One of the editors in my editorial analysis advice I use Microsoft word. I actually saw no use of the app since it still couldn't pick up my mistakes. I tried grammarly but it doesn't work on mobile devices. I would really love to hear some suggestions.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't know that there is a perfect website or app out there. You can use several and still have mistakes unfortunately. You can try paperrater.com. I think it's just going to have to be using several checkers, looking over your review carefully and learning the more you do it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Eric77 wrote:I really have problems with punctuation and sometimes sentence structure and grammar. One of the editors in my editorial analysis advice I use Microsoft word. I actually saw no use of the app since it still couldn't pick up my mistakes. I tried grammarly but it doesn't work on mobile devices. I would really love to hear some suggestions.

Check your settings in Microsoft Word. It can be set to spelling only, or grammar and spelling. Mine is set to check both. It definitely picks errors up. You can also fine tune the settings to not check certain things if you want. For example, I have mine set to not mark "passive voice" as an error.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Alicnim
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicnim.html

Post by Alicnim »

Just get the paid Grammarly option. Had it before I joined OBC on some online work and it was perfect. Any free version software doesn't help when it comes to punctuation. This includes Paperrater and Microsoft Word. You might pick up on the spellings and some grammar but Grammarly is all inclusive. A very powerful app, I highly recommend it. Am saving up to buy a fresh subscription.
Eric77
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eric77.html

Post by Eric77 »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would be trying them out soonest. Really appreciate the help.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

The Hemingway Desktop version is amazingly efficient. And it is free. Languagetool's premium version integrates with google docs, web browser, Microsoft Word, and mobile phones. It only cost $54.00 a year.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
dylz-bookworm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dylz-bookworm »

Mounce574 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 20:36 The Hemingway Desktop version is amazingly efficient. And it is free. Languagetools premium version integrates with google docs, web browser, Microsoft Word, and mobile phones. It only costs $54.00 a year.
I've been using the Hemmingway (Free browser version) and Grammarly (Premiun) together and it works like a powerhouse.

It's my first time hearing about Languagetool. $54 a year sounds like a steal. I'll check that out.

Is Hemmingway Desktop much better than the browser version? I heard it now costs around $19 bucks to get the desktop version.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

dylz-bookworm wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 06:25
Mounce574 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 20:36 The Hemingway Desktop version is amazingly efficient. And it is free. Languagetools premium version integrates with google docs, web browser, Microsoft Word, and mobile phones. It only costs $54.00 a year.
I've been using the Hemmingway (Free browser version) and Grammarly (Premiun) together and it works like a powerhouse.

It's my first time hearing about Languagetool. $54 a year sounds like a steal. I'll check that out.

Is Hemmingway Desktop much better than the browser version? I heard it now costs around $19 bucks to get the desktop version.
I just looked into the Hemingway desktop version. Apparently this year they started a one time fee of $19.99 for it. I got it last year for free.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

Hemingway is my favourite writer but I had no idea there is a browser version with his name that could help me write better...Thank you!
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I normally use three; Grammarly, Scribens and the Microsoft word.

Return to “International Grammar”