God and god

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

God and god

Post by Abfaniki »

I am reading this book. The author use the word Gods. I won't say I was taught but I recall someone once told me that the word God should be capitalized when refering to Christian God only and that other deities or gods should be written with small g.

Is that right?
opinion is like ass, everyone has one and it's full of sh*t. :D :lol: :o :(
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I've never heard of capitalizing the g in gods. God is capitalized because it's a proper noun in monotheistic religions, whereas gods is just a noun. I think. I can't recall ever seeing gods capitalized before.
Angela Stripes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 04073">The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf</a>
Currently Reading: A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-stripes.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Angela Stripes »

I think at one time there might have been grammatical rules like what has already been mentioned, but in more modern times capitalization is used more to reflect respect, intention, personal belief of either the author, characters, or both.

I'd suggest taking an overall-look at the cultures in the book and maybe look through it with their lens?

It's going to vary across authors, but when I write "God" I do intend the one true God, Jesus. If "god" or "gods" I'm referring to idols of other beliefs, lets say Greek mythology.

Hope that gives you a spectrum to work off of?
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Abfaniki

Post by Abfaniki »

I always thought what @Angela stripes wrote was the reason for the capitalization. I think it will make more sense to stick with what @mallory Whitaker said.

Thank you both for the comment it definaly clear an issue for me.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Hi,
I agree with Mallory in this. God is used to preferably in monotheistic religions and gods in polytheistic religions.
Abfaniki

Post by Abfaniki »

Angela Stripes wrote:I think at one time there might have been grammatical rules like what has already been mentioned, but in more modern times capitalization is used more to reflect respect, intention, personal belief of either the author, characters, or both.

I'd suggest taking an overall-look at the cultures in the book and maybe look through it with their lens?

It's going to vary across authors, but when I write "God" I do intend the one true God, Jesus. If "god" or "gods" I'm referring to idols of other beliefs, lets say Greek mythology.

Hope that gives you a spectrum to work off of?

I think the authur made a mistake in the use of the word Gods. This is a dialogue I took out of the book . note errors in qoute
“No, they weren’t as… big as all that,” Inez said looking out at the gods.they “They just had a bit of an ego. Wanted people to be in awe and all that nonsense. Course, that didn’t stop them from letting people believe they were actually hundreds of feet tall. Gods are very good at talking themselves up. And people believed the stories they were told. You’d think by now people would know better than to trust gods. Gods lie about everything.”
My take
The gods is the word to use in the above qoute.
@juliusotinyo, @mallory Whitaker was your take on the authors dialogue that I qoute above.
Kevin_Makeez
Currently Reading: Daddy 3.0
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Kevin_Makeez »

Abfaniki wrote:I am reading this book. The author use the word Gods. I won't say I was taught but I recall someone once told me that the word God should be capitalized when refering to Christian God only and that other deities or gods should be written with small g.

Is that right?
I was taught that way too. That a Christian God should have a capitalized G and other gods small g.
But I believe different religion entities have different way of writing the word god depending on what they believe in.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1030
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I know I'm several weeks late in commenting, but I just wanted to point out that in the example given, the only place "gods" is capitalized is at the start of a sentence, where every word should be capitalized vs. the word being lower-cased when used in other places, as it is in the exampe.

Or am I wrong? Should gods still be lower-case when starting a sentence to show the difference between God and god(s)?
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

“No, they weren’t as… big as all that,” Inez said looking out at the gods.they “They just had a bit of an ego. Wanted people to be in awe and all that nonsense. Course, that didn’t stop them from letting people believe they were actually hundreds of feet tall. Gods are very good at talking themselves up. And people believed the stories they were told. You’d think by now people would know better than to trust gods. Gods lie about everything.”
I think this author did it right. Generally, gods is the right one to use here. Except, the author used Gods to start a new sentence. Despite the fact that gods is what he's referring to, the rule of starting a sentence with a capital letter still stands.

MsTri wrote:I know I'm several weeks late in commenting, but I just wanted to point out that in the example given, the only place "gods" is capitalized is at the start of a sentence, where every word should be capitalized vs. the word being lower-cased when used in other places, as it is in the exampe.

Or am I wrong? Should gods still be lower-case when starting a sentence to show the difference between God and god(s)?
So I think you're right.
Emmyblue
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Emmyblue »

Be it anywhere the capitalisation of the G is always applied in reference to the God of Muslims and Christians
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Capital G as far as I know is used for every type of God
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

imyhearu
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by imyhearu »

Its always been Capital G for God pertaining to any monotheistic religion.
Ubheeram Nina
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 77

Post by Ubheeram Nina »

So far i know there is only one God and that we should capitalize 'G' when referring to God. No matter what religion you follows.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

To use God as a proper noun, it is capitalized. "the god of fire" "god of the sea" "gods" etc are not.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Lincolnshirelass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I wonder, though, if polytheistic religions may (if they had/have an alphabet) used a capital - for instance, would the Greeks have called Apollo and Zeus Gods, or the ancient Norse done likewise for Thor and Odin.
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Return to “International Grammar”