"A" versus "an" before nouns

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

roatanmama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roatanmama.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

"A" versus "an" before nouns

Post by roatanmama »

According to Scribendi and others, not all words that begin with a vowel should be preceded by "an." I wrote: something about "a" ewe. The editor here said it should be "an" ewe. Would you say "an university?" Or "an European?"

I disagree, as does Scribendi: "The word may start with an e, but think for a minute about the sound that the word makes: you-we. We know that y is a consonant."

Conversely, should a word like "herb" have the adjective "a" simply because herb starts with a consonant?

What does anyone else think?
Eismaylee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eismaylee »

If we say "a" versus "an" has a big difference. Like for example, an apple vs a bag. The article an is use when the first letter of the noun is a vowel and the article a is use when the first letter of the nouns is consonant. I hope you understand
kittymamamau
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kittymamamau.html
Latest Review: Fences by Angela Khrsitin Brown

Post by kittymamamau »

I don't think it's about what the word actually starts with. It's about the initial sound of the word. If it starts with a vowel sound, like herb has a silent h, you use an.
roatanmama
Currently Reading:

Post by roatanmama »

Thank you both. I'm glad kittymamamau agrees. It is not that the noun starts with a consonant or vowel. It is how it SOUNDS, according to the experts. I got docked 10 for this when I shouldn't have.
Tariqah
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Tariqah »

Sometimes, it depends on how it sounds versus read. The " 'an' before a vowel" rule should be generally applied but when in doubt, say it aloud or Google it.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

Eismaylee wrote:If we say "a" versus "an" has a big difference. Like for example, an apple vs a bag. The article an is use when the first letter of the noun is a vowel and the article a is use when the first letter of the nouns is consonant. I hope you understand
Nice
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

The " a " and the " an " usage. " a " is used before a noun with a pronounciation that starts with a consonant sound and " an " before a noun, with a pronounciation that starts with a vowel sound. For example, " An honest man " because the h is silent in pronunciation. " A book " book starts with a consonant sound.
roatanmama
Currently Reading:

Post by roatanmama »

Thank you. That is what I was taught. Maybe their editor was not born and taught in the US. I do know different countries have different rules for the English language.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That is one that I do think varies by country. For example, I'm pretty sure the h in herb is pronounced in some countries. So, they would then say a herb. That's a tough one...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
roatanmama
Currently Reading:

Post by roatanmama »

You are so right. I have a writer friend from England and she and I always get a chuckle out of the differences.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

roatanmama wrote: 26 Jul 2017, 09:53 According to Scribendi and others, not all words that begin with a vowel should be preceded by "an." I wrote: something about "a" ewe. The editor here said it should be "an" ewe. Would you say "an university?" Or "an European?"

I disagree, as does Scribendi: "The word may start with an e, but think for a minute about the sound that the word makes: you-we. We know that y is a consonant."

Conversely, should a word like "herb" have the adjective "a" simply because herb starts with a consonant?

What does anyone else think?
I could say something about "ewe" which I have encountered also. How many times I wrote "an ewe" which the Grammarly always changes to "a ewe" pronounced "a yooh" and I concurred.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

In the case of "ewe" if whether "a" or "an" is to be used, it is definitely "a" that is correct usage. At least, that is what Google says and Grammarly always changes the "an" into "a" whenever I write.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by victorycoffee »

the "an herb" thing is a funny one - historically there have been a bunch of h-words that take the article "an" in front - like "an historic event"
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Rohit Chandiramani
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rohit Chandiramani »

According to me, its depend upon the initial sound of the word not in starting for any word or sentences. Use a before words that start with a consonant sound and an before words that start with a vowel sound.
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

It's definitely about the sound rather than just whether it's a vowel. We often use the rule that it's "an" with a vowel as it usually works. But if the sound is a "yoo" one, eg university, ewe etc it's "a". It just comes down to what sounds best.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Return to “International Grammar”